Missing IP Address

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
My lad's desktop can't access the internet - it appears his IP address is no longer valid.

We have one SKY router and use Homeplugs to gain internet connections to various PC's around the house.

His PC has worked fine for years now, however, on start up a package called PC Performance (or the like) opens up and does a scan, obviously finding heaps of problems that it can fix for a fee :rolleyes:.

Could this be connected to the IP problem.

All other PC's/laptops/phones work ok.

Any ideas please - how can I reset his IP address?

Make sure it's set to DHCP and let it pull a new one from the router.

Select;
Network Settings
Chose the appropriate connection
Right click and select properties
Select TCP/IP
Chose properties and ensure it is set to obtain an IP address automatically.

Save, close down and reboot.

I'd say your lad has some malware on his PC that needs to be removed first.
If he can't access the internet, can you download "Malawarebytes" from a trusted free download site eg Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - CNET Download.com onto a usb stick and run this on his PC first.
Once his PC is "clean" try this.

1. Click the Start menu button on the Windows taskbar.
  2. Click Run... on this menu.
  3. If the computer is holding a current IP address, type 'cmd' (without the quotes) in the text box that appears. A command prompt window appears on the screen.
  4. Type 'ipconfig' (without the quotes) to view the status of the computer's IP address(es).
  5. If the computer is holding a current IP address, type 'ipconfig /release' to let go of the address.
  6. Type 'ipconfig /renew' to obtain a new IP address (whether or not the computer is holding a current address).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom