Missing Menus from cluster CLS55 AMG

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by andy27168, Jan 18, 2015.

1. andy27168

andy27168 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
    Hi,
    Recently purchasing a CLS 55 with a few niggly issues I have set about trying to fix them.
    a, Passenger side Dynamic seat not working.
    The light flickers in switch but won,t stay on, (light in switch has stayed on occasionally and initially diagnosed as dodgy switch or connection to it), so took the switch apart cleaned it, still no joy, swapped it with the driver's seat switch still not working and the passenger seat switch works ok in the driver's seat.
    Looking in the handbook it turns out you can switch the function on/off for each seat in the "settings" menu in the cluster, but this function doesn't seem to be in my cluster.

b, Telephone steering wheel buttons not working with phone.
    Car came with the connector/cradle in the arm rest, so should already be activated in STAR. I bought a Viseoo MB-4, and none of the phone functions appear in the cluster, and as I said steering wheel buttons work though the pick up phone/put down phone button state function not available in the cluster when the button is pressed.

c, Speed limit function in cluster not working.
    My understanding of this function from reading the handbook and from my previous AMG is that when activated and a limit speed selected it should illuminate the appropriate section on the outside of the speedo dial to indicate the selected limit speed, and it come up in the cluster as well. The limiter does actually work when tested just no indication of it in the cluster.

d, Dynamic Headlight Curve light thingy (not sure exactly what its called) Is this able to be switched on/off? In the cluster? as I cannot get it working :(

The cluster other than the above problems appears to be operating correctly in every other way.

With all these issues it appears to me I seem to have a faulty cluster, or for some reason the cluster has lost some of its coding/programming.
    I have it booked in with PCS for a few little jobs later this week so will get it plugged into STAR to further investigate this issue.
    But in the mean time I thought about giving the car therefore the cluster a hard reset (reboot), but unsure of the exact procedure.
    I was going to disconnect both batteries, possibly even pull the fuse for the cluster, but unsure what to exactly do as in which battery do you disconnect/reconnect first etc. how long to leave it disconnected etc, if anyone can help, ideas as to what the problem could be it would be very much appreciated.

2. Abb

Abb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes
    Hi Andy, cant help with point , as I dont have dynamic seats.
    B) Apologies, but I take it you have successfully managed to 'pair' your phone with the command unit via bluetooth, as from your description it doesn't seem like its connected.
    C) The outside of the cluster illuminates when the cruise control has been set, but don't think it does for the speed limiter, unfortunately cant check for you as I am not home for another week or so.
    D) The adaptive lights AFAIK cannot be turned on/off, if there is a problem with them, then it shows up on the instrument cluster, otherwise take it they are working! I have never noticed mine working TBH, it was only when one decided not to, it threw up an error on the cluster telling me so. Turned out to be the module/ballast.

Will see if I can find the link on how to pair the phone to command using bluetooth and the four digit code.

Abb

1 person likes this.
  3. Abb

Car:
    Mercedes
  4. OP
    OP
    andy27168

Car:
    Cheers for the reply appreciated, though I might not of fully explained.
    The phone works perfectly in the Comand screen via. the Viseo MB-4 all functions are there phone book, call history etc, except I am not getting any info in the cluster and the steering wheel buttons are not working for the phone functions.
    It is almost as if the car needs to be coded so it knows it has a phone kit, as inoperative steering wheel buttons is an indication of this, but as the car came equipped with a phone kit then it should already be activated.
    The handbook states that there should be some sort of indication of the limiter set speed which I do not get, indeed you have now mentioned outside of the cluster illuminates when on cruise control, again mine doesn't even do this.
    For reference can I ask what age your car is Abb?

5. Abb

Car:
    Mercedes
    Apologies for my misunderstanding Andy, must be the sun (am offshore in Africa)! IIRC when my speed limiter is set, I get a quick message to tell me so, nothing more. Only when I set my cruise, does the outside of the cluster dial illuminate. Mines a 2005 model.
    Sorry if I have confused you even more.

1 person likes this.
  6. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Andy , why don't you give Mark at Comand in Lightwater a buzz ?

They know clusters and coding inside out and are just up the m3.

Gotta pop down myself soon to pick up a child seat.

1 person likes this.
  7. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    AMG models don't have the headlight curve thing IIRC.

1 person likes this.
  8. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Its on my data card and my headlamps swivel..

What AMG don't have are the cornering fog lamps available on other variants

2 people like this.
  9. Diesel Benz

Diesel Benz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
    If the cluster was not coded for "phone present", the phone control buttons would not work. But as you say, it should be unlikely if the car came with the phone kit installed (even more if it came from the factory with this option). If the cluster was not coded, there would not be any telephone menu either.

Did you actually have the phone menu selected from the cluster when operating the phone buttons? If I remember right, the buttons should work for an incoming call but not for dialling unless the phone menu is selected first.

The speed limiter feature you are talking must be the Variable Speedtronic limiter, set from the cruise control stalk. Since the W211 model I believe every MB I've had, has had an indication of the selected range shown via the speedometer segment display. It should be the opposite arch from that of the normal cruise control indicator.

In addition the car probably has a Permanent Speedtronic, mainly intended to match the top speed to winter tyres. This features is activated from the cluster menu and when activated, the top part of the speedometer segment display remains off all the time.

10. OP
    OP
    andy27168

Car:
    Howard, I'm having a service done at PCS later this week so will get Olly to look at it initially and see what he thinks, as it is already booked in.

Karl to be honest I,m not sure whether I do have the cornering light function but I was told that Option Code 616 "Bi-Xenon Headlight W.Active Curvelight Left Drive" which is on my data card signified I have or should have the cornering light function.

Peter is it on your Data card as above Option Code 616?

I don't actually have a phone menu its not there at all, the phone works perfectly through the Comand head unit
    I don't have any message/indication of the Cruise Control, or the Speed Limiter but both work.
    Permanent Speedtronic is present in the cluster speed can be set, system on/off, this I presume operates normally, well at least it appears in the cluster.

I also have some other electrical gremlins, which might be worth speaking about, neither Vanity lights work on the sun visors (bulbs are ok), 99% of the time I cant get any TV reception either sound or picture, and the when the heated rear screen is on I get interference on the radio.
    I,m wondering if the rear SAM has possibly been replaced at one time or another and either incorrectly coded or even the wrong one fitted as a lot of the issues seem to be fed from it, though not sure this would account for the loss of menus in the cluster.

11. Alps

Alps MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E63 Weistec AMG, E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    Hi Andy

has the cluster been swapped over in its lifetime? this could explain why options may have been missed out.

2 people like this.
  12. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Yes, SA code 616 BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT LEFT-DRIVE

1 person likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    andy27168

Car:
    I have considered this and to be I honest I hope this is what has happened, but I don,t think so as I would of thought the phone menu would of been in the cluster by default (regardless of whether a phone kit is fitted or not) also the cruise control/speed limiter function I would of said would of been coded by default from the factory specially as its a specific AMG cluster.
    Though to be honest I am only guessing.
    Its really got me flummoxed. :crazy::dk:

14. Alps

Alps MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E63 Weistec AMG, E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    brand new clusters dont have much coded mate.

everything either needs to be coded in or copied from an old cluster, if the old cluster is not available then each item added.

Olly should be able to put his right fairly easily

2 people like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    andy27168

Car:
    Lets hope so Alps, I just hope it doesn't need a new cluster.

16. Major774

Major774 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211 E55 AMG
    Might see your car this week.

I need to drop my car off to PCS on Thursday, getting a few things sorted.

The active curve function is turned on/off via STAR. Olly turned my active curve function back on when they replaced my battery control module last year.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  17. OP
    OP
    andy27168

Car:
    Well my car is booked in for Friday PM, and I,m waiting for it, so we might even bump into each other.