Missing Option ?!?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sunnydude959

Car
Mercedes
Hi Guys,

I received my 2014 CL500 yesterday, and its brilliant. I've had CL63 AMGs before, but I always felt that they had somewhat of a multiple personality. On one side, the chassis was all about cruising but the drivetrain wanted to be revved up and driven hard. It literally felt like a C63 trapped in an S-class body (which was essentially what it was).
Anyway, my CL500 all feels more in harmony, so i'm happy. It doesn't have many options on it, but the standard cars are pretty well specced anyway (especially compared to the likes of what e.g. BMW give as standard!)

Anyway, it has the front seat entertainment option which, according to the applicable price list (December 2013), has the following things with it;

+ Splitview with remote control for COMAND and headphones
+ HarmanKardon Logic7
+ DAB Digital radio tuner

....Aaaand the DAB radio is missing (!). Its not appearing on the COMAND screen at all, and i've tried resetting the COMAND system as well as disconnecting the battery for 30min and reconnecting.

I've asked the dealer where I bought it from and he asked his master tech, and he's baffled. The dealer kindly gave me a OASIS print out, and whilst DAB radio isn't specifically mentioned, P45 Front Seat Entertainment definitely is. However, harman/kardon and splitview are mentioned seperately.

I also pointed out that DAB can't be ordered seperately on a CL, and can only come with the front seat ent. pack.

I do, however, have a factory-fitted TV tuner. I don't know if this complicates things further. It doesn't mention anywhere that the addition of a TV tuner will remove DAB.

Any ideas about what could have happened?

Sunny

Attachments

• cl-class_December13-Communications-and-in-car-entertainment.pdf
    29.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Sorry to bump and old thread but I've been in contact with MB UK and they are just flat out telling me that DAB is a separate option when it is very clearly mentioned as part of - and only available as part of - the front seat entertainment package, in all the price lists from 2010 to 2013. (I've got a copy of: October 2010, June 2011, December 2011, June 2013). I believe that 2013 was the last model year for this anyway.

I had a 10 minute conversation that went like this: "Its on the price list as part of the Front seat entertainment package" ... "Our technical team advised us that its a seperate option" ... "Its on the price list as part of the Front seat entertainment package - can you see it on the price list yourself?" ... "Yes sir I can see it on the price list but we have been advised by our technical team that its a separate option" ... "Can I speak to your manager please?" ... "No, this would not warrant an escalation to the manager"

I cannot give any advice other than it may have been a miss build and the original owner would of them received a financial kick back for the missing option but that won't carry on forever - it kinda is what it is, when purchased used.

We were offered a new C cab without keyless (although standard equipment) for a slightly cheaper price. Presumably though when it's resold in a few years time the 'compensation' won't continue on to the next owner as could be argued that it's reflected in the sale price.

Sorry can't help more.

The real irony of selling is that it is the point of sale that counts, and that if the DAB was missing from the original order, then it was down to the original purchaser to complain. As a second hand purchaser, your issue would be with the second hand selling agent, and if they didn't explicitly state it had DAB, then you have no recourse.

My mate bought a second hand Audi that should have had leather seats, but was retrofitted with cloth seats instead. He bought more or less as seen, and has no recourse with the original selling agent. It's like my CLS. If I decide to change the leather for cloth, then sell it, a prospective buyer would have to accept that it now has cloth seats.

This happens in a lot of older Fords that had originally been fitted with their QuickClear heated front windscreen, but had a non QuickClear windscreen fitted after a chip/crack. If you buy a Ford with an ordinary windscreen, you would have to pay to have a QuickClear windscreen fitted.

sunnydude what is it you are trying to achieve?

If it doesn't have it, it doesn't have it. Or, are you just trying to prove a point with the dealer?:dk:

Well I wanted to know if anyone had any similar such experience, and what the outcome of it was. And as Sambo said, which I didn't think about before, someone might have been financially compensated before me.

Although I was hoping that they might retrofit the module, but its 2.5 years old now so that was probably wishful thinking...

thanks guys :)

Was it advertised with DAB? I'd be annoyed if I bought a car advertised with it, and it didn't

It was advertised with front seat entertainment package, an important part of which was DAB radio. The only way to get DAB radio on facelift CL's was to have front seat entertainment, it wasn't available separately.

What annoys me the most is MB UK lying to me. I'd much rather they were straight with me and say "Sorry sir, I realise that it seems to have been missed out but unfortunately this was already resolved with the original owner and so we cannot resolve it again" - I'd be slightly disappointed but I'd understand.

However, them telling me that it was a separate option when it wasn't, when I tell them "Look! It's on page 20, it's very clearly part of FSE" - is what irritated me. I don't like dealing with people who aren't straight with me. If they just told me straight up that they can't do it, I'd have not been irritated in the way I am.

It was advertised with front seat entertainment package, an important part of which was DAB radio. The only way to get DAB radio on facelift CL's was to have front seat entertainment, it wasn't available separately.

What annoys me the most is MB UK lying to me. I'd much rather they were straight with me and say "Sorry sir, I realise that it seems to have been missed out but unfortunately this was already resolved with the original owner and so we cannot resolve it again" - I'd be slightly disappointed but I'd understand.

However, them telling me that it was a separate option when it wasn't, when I tell them "Look! It's on page 20, it's very clearly part of FSE" - is what irritated me. I don't like dealing with people who aren't straight with me. If they just told me straight up that they can't do it, I'd have not been irritated in the way I am.

Hi,
Two things - firstly have you submitted your vin number to an option checker - this would tell you whether the car was supposedly fitted with DAB, or not?
Secondly - check the back pages of the relevant brochure - there is normally a statement of weasely words along the lines of - errors and omission are excepted and that specifications are subject to change.
Cheers
Steve

Well I wanted to know if anyone had any similar such experience, and what the outcome of it was. And as Sambo said, which I didn't think about before, someone might have been financially compensated before me.

Although I was hoping that they might retrofit the module, but its 2.5 years old now so that was probably wishful thinking...

thanks guys :)

Have a word with the guys at Comand.co.uk, they will give you an honest, unbiased answer as to whether DAB was an option and also if it can be retro-fitted

Hi,
Two things - firstly have you submitted your vin number to an option checker - this would tell you whether the car was supposedly fitted with DAB, or not?
Secondly - check the back pages of the relevant brochure - there is normally a statement of weasely words along the lines of - errors and omission are excepted and that specifications are subject to change.
Cheers
Steve

The OP has said he obtained an Oasis report which is the factory build spec.

Moving forward, the car should have it and on a 2.5 year old CL I would want to know why (it's not a cheap car)

Maybe a diagnostic will reveal whether the control unit is present or not? Maybe had some warranty work and been disconnected?

Have a word with the guys at Comand.co.uk, they will give you an honest, unbiased answer as to whether DAB was an option and also if it can be retro-fitted

^^^^^^

Its not on the OASIS report, however "Front Seat Entertainment" is. Splitview and HarmanKardon L7 are mentioned separately at £0.00 (as they're included in the pack), but DAB isn't.

I have been in contact with Richard comandonline, and I'm just waiting for one of these to complete testing: D-MB-2 - in2digi.com - and it looks like i'll have to go with one of these.

It seems that no matter what I say to Mercedes UK on the phone, they just keep looping like an automated message. I've even told that girl on the phone that she's contradicting herself in the same sentence by saying that she can see whats written on the price list, and then telling me it was a separate factory option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom