Missing that V8 rumble

Jason55amg

Car
,CLK 350 Sport Convertible,,Golf R mk7,,,,CLK 55 AMG-Convertible,,,,
After losing my CLK 55 droptop due to being hit while stationary just before Xmas ,,,
I replaced it with a lovely CLK 350 Sport droptop,,,
Although having no criticism of the new car , I really miss my 55,,,
I’m giving serious consideration to outing the 350 and getting another 55,,,
Having a A 2-0D as a hire car also threw a spanner in the works as I really liked its size and shape plus the AMG line interior was lovely and thought the A45 AMG must be great fun ( no body kit though)
so for the moment I’m still undecided and with having a. Golf R mk7 as a daily driver and 3 years away from 60 ,,I will probably go for the 55,,,,
I wondered if I did go for a 55 then should I consider a CLK 6-3 also ??,,,
I’m quite stuck as the 350 drives great ,,78k miles just and has no problems presently but I miss the Jekyll and Hyde character of the V8 and that great rumble or keep the 350 and see how I feel in the summer,,,
Any ideas and advice much appreciated ,,,,

Smart320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Toyota RAV4 3dr , SLK55amg ( gone )
Like you I am missing my V8 , after the house refurb is completed by the end of summer I hope to have enough cash left to find another V8 of some sort , would have another

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W212 & W211 & Tesla Model S
After losing my CLK 55 droptop due to being hit while stationary just before Xmas ,,,
I replaced it with a lovely CLK 350 Sport droptop,,,
Although having no criticism of the new car , I really miss my 55,,,
I’m giving serious consideration to outing the 350 and getting another 55,,,
Having a A 2-0D as a hire car also threw a spanner in the works as I really liked its size and shape plus the AMG line interior was lovely and thought the A45 AMG must be great fun ( no body kit though)
so for the moment I’m still undecided and with having a. Golf R mk7 as a daily driver and 3 years away from 60 ,,I will probably go for the 55,,,,
I wondered if I did go for a 55 then should I consider a CLK 6-3 also ??,,,
I’m quite stuck as the 350 drives great ,,78k miles just and has no problems presently but I miss the Jekyll and Hyde character of the V8 and that great rumble or keep the 350 and see how I feel in the summer,,,
Any ideas and advice much appreciated ,,,,
Forum members car

BPD07

Car
SLK-32, CLK320 (a208)
V8s are great, if you miss one, get one whilst you can. Who knows in three or four years it may be as anti social as drink driving.

OP
OP
J

Jason55amg

Car
Thanks for the replies and will probably go for another droptop ,,,

Nigeld85

Car
CLK55 AMG
Thanks for the replies and will probably go for another droptop ,,,
I know what you mean I've had my drop top 55 for about a year now and the noise is incredible, I barely use it and consider selling but every time I drive it I change my mind.
I think they're only going one way price wise ( at least I hope so, mine has 59k miles so 🤞)

OP
OP
J

Jason55amg

Car
Nigel,,,,
there is a very low mileage 23k iirc and one owner black drop top that’s a tad under £18k iirc,,
Be interesting to see how long before it’s sold and yes they can go only one way as the years go imho,,,
keep her mate,,,j

Bobby Dazzler

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
ML AMG-line Black Series
Nigel,,,,
there is a very low mileage 23k iirc and one owner black drop top that’s a tad under £18k iirc,,
Be interesting to see how long before it’s sold and yes they can go only one way as the years go imho,,,
keep her mate,,,j
Do you have a link please?

OP
OP
J

Jason55amg

Car
Bobby,,,,
Its Hurst Park classic cars and is £5 under £19k,,,,
car was in last months Classic Car mag,,,

Jeff120976

Car
Mercedes c class
Do we think prices of v8 will rise? Ultimately they will be run off the road by government in tax rises no doubt and make them more and more un attractive and hence render them less valuable? Say they removed all petrol and diesel which will come one day what happens to all these very valuable classics they become ornaments but what will they be worth if you cant drive them? Not much id imagine? Be interesting to see where it goes but seems a weird time to be buying a v8 now? It seems the tides turning although usa wont give them up in a hurry but the uk always seems to bring in this sort of stuff first much to our detriment

Dickster

Car
SL55
Do we think prices of v8 will rise? Ultimately they will be run off the road by government in tax rises no doubt and make them more and more un attractive and hence render them less valuable? Say they removed all petrol and diesel which will come one day what happens to all these very valuable classics they become ornaments but what will they be worth if you cant drive them? Not much id imagine? Be interesting to see where it goes but seems a weird time to be buying a v8 now? It seems the tides turning although usa wont give them up in a hurry but the uk always seems to bring in this sort of stuff first much to our detriment
Why’s it a weird time? enjoy them while you can ....

Jeff120976

Car
Mercedes c class
Weird in the fact of the massive push towards ev and the envitable demise of the petrol and diesel engine

Spider10

MB Enthusiast
Car
c63 amg
Soon there will be no such thing as a cheap v8, as above enjoy i definitely WON'T be buying an ev in the distant future 😉 they will only tax them the same anyway

Tuercas viejas

MB Enthusiast
Car
landrover/rolls royce/MB AMG S600/Prius
You want V8?
How's about a big gutsy American V8 and the Mustang 5 litre flat planed crank version!
or the trad off sounding Big lung V8:
How does those Euro renditions stack up against this big Yankee iron?
All sound great to me!
TV

Bobby Dazzler

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
ML AMG-line Black Series
Weird in the fact of the massive push towards ev and the envitable demise of the petrol and diesel engine
For those of us who love internal combustion engines of any size and shape, now is a truly great time to drive the ICE car we always wanted.

We’re living in the peak era for modern ICE engines, they’ll probably never be better than they are right now - or perhaps were a few years ago, pre-OPF.

Similarly those who love classic ICE cars are able to enjoy them with a favourable policy with free VED, and ability to drive them almost anywhere without restriction.

For those who really want an ICE car, and can afford to hold on to it and absorb increasing costs, then now is probably close to the best time to buy.

sgregory124

Car
C63S AMG Saloon (2017), C36 AMG (1997), E46 M3 (2001)
So why hasten that 'demise' by not buying that special car you want now? Twisted logic there.....Anyway, they're not banning the sale of petrol or diesel until 2030, they might have bought that date forward by 5 years, but that was clearly Boris grandstanding to push his stock up. Besides, the 2030 ban is for the manufacturers, there is no way on this earth they'll suddenly shut down filling stations and make it illegal to drive an ICE car on Jan 1st 2031.

Personally I would put money on the UK's big move to EV's being delayed in some way, particularly given the current government and their track record of pouring massive money into projects that end up becoming complete basket cases (a-la 'Track and Trace'). Sure you have manufacturers committing to all electric vehicles by whenever (Jaguar say 2025 IIRC) but that doesn't mean the country will be ready for it.

I certainly don't plan to go anywhere near an EV until I am legally obliged (forced) to do so and have my roadmap of big displacement cars I want to own after my C63 but before D-Day - anyone who wants to stop me - can fight me :)

OP
OP
J

Jason55amg

Car
Yes,,perish the thought that we may kiss goodbye to a tank of unleaded,,,,,not interested in any electric cars,,,

Athey

Car
C63amg
The day combustion engines are no more is the day I give my licence back to dvla! I’m only just starting to put my car back to as new condition as I can, and that’ll take the next few years to do. Electric may be faster, but has no heart. To me, there’s nothing better than the roar of an engine and the sweet sounds of the exhaust.

Steve84N

MB Enthusiast
Car
C63 AMG S204
For as long as I've had the funds and choice to do so I've bought petrol cars with more than 4 cylinders because the sound and power delivery is a huge part of the driving experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom