Mission to Mars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
With all the excitement of the Olympics dominating our screens folks have tended to overlook a rather significant Space exploration event due to take place in the next few hours with the touchdown of the new Curiosity Mars lander at about 10:31 p.m. PDT tonight (about 1:31 a.m. Aug. 6, EDT) or 6.31 am UK TIME . Some mission details here. Mars Science Laboratory: Curiosity Rover Just Hours from Mars Landing They are going to employ a very elaborate landing routine to place the car sized Mars vehicle on the surface of the planet. Many previous missions have been fraught with failure - notably the UK's ill fated Beagle lander, :( so it will be a nerve racking few hours for the mission team. The landing details should be broadcast live on NASA TV here. NASA TV

With all the excitement of the Olympics dominating our screens folks have tended to overlook a rather significant Space exploration event due to take place in the next few hours with the touchdown of the new Curiosity Mars lander at about 10:31 p.m. PDT tonight (about 1:31 a.m. Aug. 6, EDT) or 6.31 am UK TIME .

BBC Horizon documentary on it from last week on iPlayer:

BBC iPlayer - Horizon: 2012-2013: Mission to Mars

The landing setup seems way OTT in terms of complication - and on the programme they say it seems mad - but they don't actually say why they decided to do it this way. Presumably there are a whole load of interesting tradeoffs in terms of risk / complexity / payload / weather / structure / mechanics that resulted in the final design.

Looking at the specs of the new robot lander, it will be a massive leap forward in interplanetary exploration.

I can't wait to se the results of this.

Coupled with the virtual certainty of the Higgs-Boson particle, this has been an immense period of discovery and achievement.

So the Mars exploration vehicle lands but since it did not have a dealer stamp on the service schedule, replacement of failed components is refused. :D

So the Mars exploration vehicle lands but since it did not have a dealer stamp on the service schedule, replacement of failed components is refused. :D

It's not an MB.

Mobilo don't cover Mars

I think it rusted away during the voyage. :)
Just heard that it landed successfully & is already sending pictures back - a great success!

First couple of low res screen grabs- first shows the outline shadow of Curiosity--- the second a wheel and possibly the crater rim on the horizon. I expect high resolution colour images to follow soon. I can never quite get my head round we are looking at the surface of another planet.:confused:

Last edited:
Final image received from Curiosity before it mysteriously went off the air.

marsx.jpg

A couple of white balanced high res coloured pics. Always difficult to think this is the surface of another planet

Last edited:
Latest picture that has been sneaked out of NASA.

Mars3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom