Missold alloy wheel insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daveuk

Car
A180 Sport & E250 AMG Sport
When I bought the other half her used approved A class 2 years ago we were also told to buy alloy wheel insurance the salesman gave it the usual oh everything’s covered etc so we thought oh yeah we will take that out.

Anyway turns out it doesn’t cover diamond cut wheels now my argument is the salesman who sold us the car should of known this now the wheels have 1 slight kerb mark on them but we have lacquer issues which also won’t be covered.

The policy was obviously missold to us had anyone managed to get such a policy refunded?

Any advice would be much appreciated I’m thinking of writing a letter to the dealership or to there head office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shouldn't be a problem, just go back the dealership that sold the car and wheel insurance to you and ask to speak to the sales manager.

As it’s insurance it is covered by FCA rules, (financial,conduct authority) if the garage doesn’t offer settle the which is acceptable, under the required complaints procedure you can take if to the Financial Ombusdman Service for them to make a ruling, this will cost the garage £550 if there have already been a few complaints against them.

Looking at recent industry stats the motor trade is getting near the top of the number of complaints which end up with the ombudsman

I wonder how the T&Cs are worded regarding the coverage of the different types of wheel finish?
Seems it wasn't clear or you would have spotted it?

The T & C’s state they do not cover diamond cut wheels the salesman never told us this when he sold us it nor where we made aware that the car we bought had diamond cut wheels on it.

I sent an email explaining this to the dealer asking for the policy cost to be refunded and they’ve done that so I’m pleased about that.

The T & C’s state they do not cover diamond cut wheels
This, obviously you would have noted when signing the agreement
But as,
nor where we made aware that the car we bought had diamond cut wheels on it.
This is where the salesman failed you..

Do any wheel insurances cover diamond cut finishes?

We didn’t get anything at the time of sale it all came through the post and got filed with the car stuff.
Ok I should have read the booklet but it’s like huge and who does read these anyway?

We took the salesman’s word for what he was selling us and also what if I had no idea what diamond cut wheels are?

I’ve no idea if any policies do I’ve seen a few posts on other forums where people have taken out a policy and then found out it doesn’t cover diamond cut.

Interestingly when I bought my E Class the dealer I bought that from also tried to sell me alloy wheel insurance which I turned down knowing my car has diamond cut wheels.

I've quickly learnt that diamond cut wheels rot very quickly - and have heard pretty much the same from a number of other people.

I would be surprised if any insurance covered them because it sounds like they are a guaranteed to need a refurb pretty quick.

It didn't take long for them to rot on my car and they were spotless when I bought it.

To refurb them they have to put the on a Laithe and recut them as well or at least that’s what Mercedes told me so in the case of a big scrape on them if it’s too deep they can’t recut them.

This, obviously you would have noted when signing the agreement
But as,

This is where the salesman failed you..

Do any wheel insurances cover diamond cut finishes?
a few companies cover diamond cut, shortfall and tidyalloys do both types, cover looks good on it as well

GAP insurance, Alloy Wheel insurance etc. will probably be the next PPI scandal!

My E class coupe had one diamond cut replaced by Merc after the laquer failed when the car was 18 month old, the wheels were unmarked except for the laquer breaking down and there was no arguement whatsoever from them.

some sales people aint got a clue. i asked about park assist on my e350 and he told me no mercedes has that
id done my research so knew he was talking sh1te

I've found the majority of sales people know the square root of FA when it comes to car features etc.

You occasionally get an enthusiast but they are few and far between - most are just in it to sell the cars and meet targets are not remotely bothered by the details.

I regularly know more about the cars I am buying than the sales person - although it is amusing to test them and ask them naively about stuff to find out what they know.

I've found the majority of sales people know the square root of FA when it comes to car features etc.

I asked my salesman if the car had Xenon headlamps. He said "No". Turns out the car was fitted with ILS lol, it was obvious the first time I drove it at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom