Missus wants an S class !!!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Rust in the usual places, and all the usual accident damage, engine oil leaks etc. If this is the V6 engine their pretty tough, I don't know much re the earlier I6 (if it were fitted). Gearbox must be smooth, check receipts thru to see if oil in the box was changed.

All the electrics must work, test 'em all.
Price wise I don't know, aim for £2.2k

Not too much is cheap to fix on these; they do suffer from rust problems and there are plenty of electronics - so they can be a money pit if you buy the wrong one. The initial purchase price is not going to be the most significant factor here.

It doesn't look much like a woman's car. As it's near the end of that model they should have ironed out all the problems :)

Have to say I never really likes that model (shape) my old boss had one when they wee new with those pop up parking aids??. At that price and millage I would just worry your buying into problems?

I would trongly suggest you get it checked over by someone in the know, I'm guessing your wife doesn't do many miles? hence choosing that type of car, and also and I'm not being funny its a big thing to park...

A lot of car for the money but a £500 bill to fix something (which could be easy) is a 1/4 of the value of the car?

mmmmm I'm not sure.

If you do go for it haggle HARD as not many people will be in the market for such a car, 12 months MOT, tax and even any warranty they can offer thrown in.

Rust in the usual places, and all the usual accident damage, engine oil leaks etc. If this is the V6 engine their pretty tough, I don't know much re the earlier I6 (if it were fitted). Gearbox must be smooth, check receipts thru to see if oil in the box was changed.

All the electrics must work, test 'em all.
Price wise I don't know, aim for £2.2k

These were the straight six only M104 engine. A very tough unit on the whole, look for oil leaks from the front of the engine though.

Everything is expensive on these so don't expect to run it on a shoe-string. For example, your looking at £50 for wiper blades EACH, a heater blower motor is £600 and the regulator is over £200.

Also, if you haven't been in one you must, they're massive! I wouldn't let my mrs drive it :eek:

I have the W220 S class and regularly park next to an S500 version of this car, as said they are big. I know the owner, and he loves his car, even with the high fuel cost of the 500

I would say this is a good compromise with the 320 straight six engine.

It will have reasonable performance with reasonable fuel consumption.

Never seen one with rust. Very much like the 129 sport for build quality and not known to rust prematurley.

Not made with V six engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom