Misty Door Mirror.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Black Mercedes

Does anyone have any ideas on how not to spend 300 quid on replacing my electronic door mirror please. It is misting from the top down as the auto dim feature starts to deteriorate. Many thanks all.

Second hand ones are often listed on eBay. Depending on model and vendor you should expect to pay between £40 and £80.

I saw somewhere, that the fluid (caustic, so be careful) is sandwiched between a piece of glass and the mirror. If you carefully remove the outer glass, the mirror will be fully functioning...except for the dimming function.

That's interesting. I had heard it was caustic and can leak, another reason I want to change it, but I can't see how I could remove the outer glass.

Does anyone have any ideas on how not to spend 300 quid on replacing my electronic door mirror please. It is misting from the top down as the auto dim feature starts to deteriorate. Many thanks all.

If you don't fancy spending £300 for a dimming one, just replace it with a normal heated glass.

I have to be honest I didn't even know that this feature existed. At no point in my driving life have I thought that what my car was missing, and I really want to spend £600 pounds on, is dimmiing wing mirrors. R&D people at car companies really need to get out more.

Thanks to all who replied, but due to further research (and after reading Nick Mercedes's reply), I have now found out that the non dimming mirror is available at a cost of 60 quid, a bit more sensible, so to any who have the same problem and read this post, there is your answer.

Last edited:
I would still go for a halfords stick-on replacement. £60 is still too steep IMO, for a mirror.

Try Nick at Euromerc.

I have the same problem with my door mirror on my CLK, which looks unevenly tinted, I can still see ok through it so happy to live with it for now.

I wonder whether this would lead to an MOT failure?

Doubt it. My C124's were useless. They weren't misted, they looked at blue spray paint had been sprayed on them (the tinting or mirror degrading?). Not even mentioned as an advisory. Stick-on replacements from eBay CAREFULLY placed can't be noticed. I say carefully as the passenger one I stuck on okay, but the driver's one was 3mm too far to the right! And boy is the backing sticky (thankfully!) - wouldn't budge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom