Misunderstanding

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd say keep up the good work everyone, one of the most informative, interesting and supportive groups for the MB marque.
Sure there's the occasional disgruntled misfit, but they probably don't play well with others anyway #shrug.

I'd say keep up the good work everyone, one of the most informative, interesting and supportive groups for the MB marque.
Sure there's the occasional disgruntled misfit, but they probably don't play well with others anyway #shrug.
You need only look at the 'He who posts last' thread to see that about a couple of members. 😉😁

I’m still convinced it was a wind up.

It took best part of 3 pages to ascertain that he had completely misunderstood the meaning of "SUPPORTER" allocated to a number of those members who had responded to his question in another thread.
Am I misunderstanding the misunderstanding?

The only post in that thread with the “Supporter” banner is from BlackC55, and it also shows “Authorised Forum Sponsor” beside it. I can’t see any other Supporter banners in that thread? 🤔

The only post in that thread with the “Supporter” banner is from BlackC55, and it also shows “Authorised Forum Sponsor” beside it. I can’t see any other Supporter banners in that thread? 🤔

Have a look under your own avatar BD. That's where Nifty got the idea that nearly everyone was a commercial sponsor.
Mainly, I think he was impatient to get the info he wanted and dug himself into hole over it. On his original thread there were suggestions as to how to gain access and he himself identified another - but was hell bent on avoiding it. Hence my post to him re access and and an attempt remind him that some patience was required with a forum where not everyone is devoted to DIY maintenance and got a 'like' from him for it.
Not many others were inclined to offer help or understanding to him though and by the time you did BD he was well and truly aflame.

Offering popcorn is akin to shouting 'fight, fight, fight' from the periphery of the scrum without ever actually risking your own nose. Something this forum is a touch overeager to indulge in IMO.

Have a look under your own avatar BD. That's where Nifty got the idea that nearly everyone was a commercial sponsor.
Mainly, I think he was impatient to get the info he wanted and dug himself into hole over it. On his original thread there were suggestions as to how to gain access and he himself identified another - but was hell bent on avoiding it. Hence my post to him re access and and an attempt remind him that some patience was required with a forum where not everyone is devoted to DIY maintenance and got a 'like' from him for it.
Not many others were inclined to offer help or understanding to him though and by the time you did BD he was well and truly aflame.

Offering popcorn is akin to shouting 'fight, fight, fight' from the periphery of the scrum without ever actually risking your own nose. Something this forum is a touch overeager to indulge in IMO.
I can see Supporter banner on on posts in this thread and other threads, but the only post I can see with the Supporter banner in the subject thread is from BlackC55.

The other posts in that same thread don’t appear to be Supporter banner, at least they’re not visible to me.

I can see Supporter banner on on posts in this thread and other threads, but the only post I can see with the Supporter banner in the subject thread is from BlackC55.

The other posts in that same thread don’t appear to be Supporter banner, at least they’re not visible to me.
Are we talking about the same banner? Black C55 has his along the bottom at the foot of his posts (kind of in the 'signature; section) but what nifty took for a commercial supporter was all the members who have donated to the Covid appeal and have 'supporter' showing in their avatar - below eg MB Club Veteran' and above 'joined in... etc'. It was those that had Nifty thinking this was a forum of traders.

Are we talking about the same banner? Black C55 has his along the bottom at the foot of his posts (kind of in the 'signature; section) but what nifty took for a commercial supporter was all the members who have donated to the Covid appeal and have 'supporter' showing in their avatar - below eg MB Club Veteran' and above 'joined in... etc'. It was those that had Nifty thinking this was a forum of traders.
The location is probably different depending upon browser and form factor, for me it looks like this:

full

Well spotted Miss Marple. I now fear it may have me and not thee that misunderstood the misunderstanding. Should I now be of the opinion that it was Colonel Mustard putting the spanner between the cogs to mislead us into believing that he’d incorrectly identified dastardly tradespeople toting for business?

OR, had our Nifty interloper visited other threads and been greeted by several ‘Supporters’ offering advice, leading him to experience the misunderstanding to which he later admitted?

Where’s Columbo when you need him? Or do we? Does it matter now what the not so Nifty reasons were? The original thread that caused so many hands to shoot up in horror, some with rotten tomatoes to hurl, turned out to contain a litany of differences fuelled by a reluctance to recognise mistaken interpretations all round. And here I go, inevitably falling into the same trap - caught out by social media and its plethora of misunderstood trip wires.

The thread that caused hands to shoot up in horror was an insult to all of us who are regular users to the forum, misunderstanding or not.

He was rude to us, he had us tarred before he knew any of us, he assumed he was correct and acted like judge,jury and executioner before he had any facts. That's not a misunderstanding.

OP, I don't think Dr. F. has gone; he's just wearing a (different) false beard now ;). He was inactive for a long time, but I for one am glad to see him back and hope he is well.

Offering popcorn is akin to shouting 'fight, fight, fight' from the periphery of the scrum without ever actually risking your own nose.
Actually, the popcorn reference merely reflected my expectation that the thread would run and run, much like a box set of Downton Abbey. Nothing more.
In the extremely unlikely event that I would actually choose to witness a fight, I can easily go and stand in the terminal building at Luton Airport.

A man blunders into a family party where he doesn’t know the guests. He demands champagne but he is politely told that there is none. He throws a strop insults the host and calls the guests names. Then one of the guests points out that the interloper’s knob is hanging out and has been for some time. The other guests laugh at him. Instead of taking a large slice of humble pie from the buffet the interloper storms out of the party stating that he has got his own champagne and is not sharing it.

Not a misunderstanding, just plain bad manners and stupidity.

The location is probably different depending upon browser and form factor, for me it looks like this:

full
Yep, different for different browsers - and some presentations may actually add to why Nifty got it wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom