misuse of the English language

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy_k

MB Enthusiast
Car
Alfa GTV 3.0
Please feel free to add your own personal favourites

Here's a couple of starters in common useage that really annoy me

1, Brought versus bought. If you've just spent money on something you have BOUGHT it not BROUGHT it

2, Of versus Have - 'I should have said' is correct, 'I should of said' may sound the same but is totally wrong

there are loads more but these will do as a starter

Number 2 there is of particular annoyance to me.

Double negatives can be amusingly annoying: "I ain't got no money..."; coupled with "ain't" in lieu of "haven't", the use of the word "any" for example seems lost on many

<sigh>

I "borrowed you" something - rather than I lent you . (Only heard people near birmingham say that , in fairness.)

The one that I notice most often on this forum is the misuse of "should of" and "could of" instead of "should have" and "could have". I suppose it is misused generally - whilst it is not correct I suppose this is a forum about MB cars and related matters not a grammar test - and we all know what it meant when someone writes "could of" so it does not bovver me (oops).

People who say 'arks' instead or 'ask' :rolleyes:

Eg. ' I arksed him a question ' ...... NO , you didn't !

"Sez" instead of "Says"

Even BBC presenters do it. Aggggggghhhhh!

'eksetera' is another.... there are 2 "t"s you know!! (and a 'c' less the 's' with a space ;))

Last edited:
Ending sentences with a preposition....and double negatives.

So remember ..." a preposition is something you shouldn't end a sentence with"..............:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Maybe I should correct my own post.....

Apart from the missing punctuation 'Here's a couple' should be 'Here are a couple'

are you sure - it is a couple - there is only one couple. :D It would be there are two couples.

Yes it is A couple ( singular ). Also, why do so many people pronounce words like draw and straw as drawer and strawer, and worse produce a drawering...agghhhh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom