Mitsubishi L200 Chassis Rust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
My L200 is coming up to 3 years old & 9K miles. I've just phoned main dealer to book in for service/MOT/warranty work.

Part of warranty attention requested is to attend to chassis rust.
These are shots of each of the 4 wheel arches

I haven't crawled under, but I can't imagine its any better underneath.

Main dealers response:
Chassis rust not considered a valid warranty claim by Mitsubishi and by many other manufacturers. Cause is too much salt spread on UK roads in winter & therefore not manufacturers responsibility

Anyone else had this sort of response?
Should I be taking this to a higher level than local main dealer?

It is a commerical vehicle.. It is built to rust away in 10 years having lead a sodding hard life.. have a mate with one a similar age... looks similar - though his has done 60k... they cost sod all after the vat is reclaimed... enjoy your cheap motoring and dont worry about it.

I don't see the problem. That looks like surface rust which could easily be wire brushed off and Waxoyled. You should see my car!!

I don't see the problem. That looks like surface rust which could easily be wire brushed off and Waxoyled. You should see my car!!

Maybe, but surely it should be the dealer doing this under warranty rather than the customer on a <3yo car?!

If you feel that strongly about it take it higher! but my 2009 ranger looks just the same underneath! And as said above (not particularly sympatheticly) they are a commercial vehicle all be it with a nice set of clothes i personally dont think its anything to worry about
my last ranger did 149k in 11 years and drove faultlessly.

Tony.

Having driven imported Jap 4x4's which came into the country with no rust etc and looked like that after 2-3 years on UK roads I's say its nothing out of the ordinary or to worry about.

It looks like surface marking so a quick brush over with a wire brush and paint over with Waxoyl etc is all that's needed... part of the joys of owning a 4x4 really

Most of these 4x4 pickup utility vehicles are vastly overpriced in the UK market. Relatively crude vehicles some of them pre 2009 would fold like a pack of cards in a collision with a solid object despite their butch looks. The Mitsubishi L200 is quite good in that respect tho .
Pick-up | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

If the chassis metal associated with the rust is heavier gauge then probably nothing to worry about apart from it being unsightly

My then six month old 57 plate Navara with 4k miles on looked very much like that...

Interesting - I was just looking for an L200! Looks like a waxoil is the first step when buying it... maybe I can even get the dealer to throw that in...

Interesting - I was just looking for an L200! Looks like a waxoil is the first step when buying it... maybe I can even get the dealer to throw that in...
My advice would be to look around before buying the L200 as there are numerous better buys out there!

Tony.

Oh well at least i tried! Hope he has better luck with it than the people i know who have had them!
I dont even pay for mine and i would not want one.

Tony.

Sorry for the thread hijack...

My advice would be to look around before buying the L200 as there are numerous better buys out there!

Tony.

What would you recommend? Needs to be 4x4 to cope with driving around the tracks in the Alps, reasonable mpg to get around Europe. Double cab, and with a covered back so I can sleep in the back if needed...

Oh, and price is an issue too - my local dealer has a L200 warrior on the forecourt with a tag of £20k... I was thinking of negotiating something off/added...

It is just surface rust, really not an issue.

Clean it up with a brush and treat with Bilt Hamber Dynax. Much better than Waxoyl IMHO

I know of 3 people who have suffered transmission problems with nearly new l200's
I have found the new Toyota to be a bit spartan unless spending a lot,
I found the Navara very quick pulls well but a bit uncomfortable the Volkswagen is supposed to be very frugal but i would think lacks pulling power (just a guess not driven one)
the isuzu comes with some good deals but again not driven one. But my next one will be the new Ford Ranger a mate has one and for a truck it drives very well more car like than my 09 version and that is not a bad truck and will still deliver 35MPG with quite a hard life..... At the end of the day you can get a snug top for all models and its a buyers market drive a few and see what you think. My bus below and she has to earn a living in the quarry.

Tony.

Last edited:
Sorry for the thread hijack...

What would you recommend? Needs to be 4x4 to cope with driving around the tracks in the Alps, reasonable mpg to get around Europe. Double cab, and with a covered back so I can sleep in the back if needed...

Oh, and price is an issue too - my local dealer has a L200 warrior on the forecourt with a tag of £20k... I was thinking of negotiating something off/added...

I previously had a Navara but there were lots of horror stories about transmission issues just outside warranty time. As I recall there were clutch & drive shaft problems. Someone I knew had had those sorts of issues both inside & outside warranty & the bills were big.
Mine was comming up to 3yrs old & I got a top trade in offer against the L200.
At that time the VW wasn't launched in this country. The Toyota was tempting but hadn't got the towing capacity I needed. The Isuzu was a strong contender, but a bit small.
The L200 seemed to have reasonable owner reviews, seemed tougher than the Navara so I bought with a view to long term ownership.

I just though it was only MB's that rusted:fail
The rust is at least accessible. The main dealer has offered wire brush & touch up, I'm not sure that they will do a particularly good job if there is no money in it for them.
I can't understand that it should be so difficult for a manufacturer to coat a chassis in a chip proof/rust resistant coating at the manufacture stage:dk:

I think a lot of the internet babble about broken this and faulty that are no different to any car mark (there are enough problems mentioned on here to put a buyer off for life) We have an 06 plate Navara on the firm that has covered 60k and has not missed a beat or had any mechanical gremlins......But i find it uncomfortable compared to my Ranger.

Tony.

Another thing about the Navara, IIRC the 4 wheel drive system couldn't be used on road above 40mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom