Mitsubishi Pajero's - anyone had one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
Wifey wants a 4WD :eek:

She's smitten by the LWB Pajero's - Could be worse I guess.

Anyone had one or able to offer advice on what to look for, whats good/bad?

This one looks nice - me, I'd rather she had a late W124TE.

I like them, a friend of mine had one a few years ago, used to find any excuse to go in it.

The only negative thing I have heard is that they roll quite easily, and thirsty.

I would take it over a 124/TE anyday. Sorry.

My friend Chris has one , an import ( I think all Pajeros are imports , the UK models are called Shoguns ) ...

Makes me feel sick everytime I go in it , it's like travelling on a magic carpet ....

No end of trouble with it , new starter , loads of bits and bobs , has probably cost him £3k in the last year alone ...

It's possible he has just got a bad one , but if it's not UK spec, i would look very closely at it ...

We have a customer who imports loads of Pajero's, despite what you hear, the Pajero's and Shoguns are identical, well parts wise anyway.

I used to have a 1989 SWB and thought it was good, not 100% reliable but not too bad, it was quite nippy but bad on fuel and not very good at off-roading!!

Personally I would look at an alternative, the CRV's are excellent, Freelanders are OK if you avoid the petrols, not the most reliable but hold their value reasonably.

Pajeros and Shoguns are thew same vehicles, just branded differently for different markets.My brother has got 1 nearly 150k on the click now and not a single glitch.They are extremly robust 4x4's and good load luggers especially the lwb ones.

If you do end up getting one just make sure its a TD model and avoid the petrol engines.

I wish that my Merc was as reliable as my old Pajero sitting outside - I am considering running it again , because I know I can trust it .

As a 2.5 TDI , it can achieve 30mpg , and goes like stink . The 2.8's are a little more thirsty , but run a camchain rather than a timing belt .

Don't let anyone tell you that imports are in the least bit inferior to UK cars , they are both imported . Spares are no trouble - Milner conversions will send down anything , and they are cheap .

There is a little weakness with the roller rockers , the pins can wear , generally if oils is neglected . All of the rest of the service items are easy - In all , a very good reliable choice .

Fantastic car, i imported loads of them. Good cars but economy is shocking, especially on the 2.5's...

Built well, but avoid jap imports with little history as a lot of them get clocked!
Pajero's are much better specced though with many options as standard such as A/c, elec folding mirrors etc and the exceeds come with all the bells and whistles.
I think the pajero's look better than the english models too, you will find a lot of pajero's are in better condition than english ones too.

I know of a really nice petrol one if that interests you?

Hey, if enough of us buy one, we could change the name to MB-PajeroClub.co.uk lol. :) ;)

You can't buy a Pajero in Spain - look up what Pajero means in Spanish and you'll see why! :D

I love this about the Japanese....lets call it Pajero without checking the meaning in other languages....launch the model and then find out that a third of the world is killing themselves laughing as Pajero means W**ker in Spanish.

Also brings to mind other classics.....Mitsubishi Starrion...should have been Stallion but the L's were a bit difficult to overcome!

Nissan Cedric, Nissan Gloria etc etc:crazy:

Fantastic car, i imported loads of them. Good cars but economy is shocking, especially on the 2.5's...

Built well, but avoid jap imports with little history as a lot of them get clocked!
Pajero's are much better specced though with many options as standard such as A/c, elec folding mirrors etc and the exceeds come with all the bells and whistles.
I think the pajero's look better than the english models too, you will find a lot of pajero's are in better condition than english ones too.

I know of a really nice petrol one if that interests you?

The jap diesels tend to overfuel , take care to adjust the pump properly to suit UK conditions -
Every car can get clocked , but for a mech clock the pajero doesn't lend itself to clocking .

Fuel economy is far from terrible if fueling is attended to - admittedly the best I got was a journey from london to deeside at a steady 70 , and achieved 33 mpg from a SWB 2.5TD - the 2.8 can't and won't achieve better than the 2.5 .

A proper transmission that can switch modes without use of bits of scaffold pole and a welder .

A good strong easily serviced and maintained 4WD that laughs at all the english junk that falls to bits if it rains .
I would rely on my old Pajero any day of the week to do its job , but having owned more than a few landrovers in my "proud to be british" days , the whole lots want putting in a heap and crushing , even later Freelanders included .

I love this about the Japanese....lets call it Pajero without checking the meaning in other languages....launch the model and then find out that a third of the world is killing themselves laughing as Pajero means W**ker in Spanish.

Also brings to mind other classics.....Mitsubishi Starrion...should have been Stallion but the L's were a bit difficult to overcome!

Nissan Cedric, Nissan Gloria etc etc:crazy:
#

Discovered something new then !? do you know what the launch name for the ford capri was , and what it means in spanish ? and Ford didn't check either .....

Well built 4x4s,-- better than Landrover anyway. Can rust a bit if neglected but cosmetic damage only. Spares prices like lots of Japanese vehicles can be VERY expensive so check the exhaust/cat brake discs etc.

A friend at work bought a Pajero and had no end of problems, but I think the main issue was that it was a dodgy garage offloading a pup. I think it's like any model- The trick is to find the good ones that have been well cared for!

You can't buy a Pajero in Spain - look up what Pajero means in Spanish and you'll see why! :D

My dad's just moved to Spain with his new Pajero! Haha, just looked it up :eek: will have to let him know about that!

Oh.... and the cambelt snapped on the drive over there :crazy: other than that it's been a very good runner.

For decent second hand prices on Mitsubishi parts , go to www.milneroffroad.com

Very reasonable prices and super fast delivery

I also have a Pajero for sale...diesel, 1990, 110,000 miles and only 1 owner from new in the UK, when it came in 1999. Lovely condition and fully loaded and going at a sensible price. Just had a new alternator fitted and new belts.

i had one in 1995. very robust and reliable.not the best of rides though and very noisy on motorways. I would definitely recommend it.

A Paj is a great car but it doesnt hold a candle to a 4.2 Landcruiser. The cabin is a far nicer place to sit, the 4.2 is effortless and even the best looking 80 series are now affordable. Try one and you won't go back. I dont really like Toyotas but of all the 4x4's i have used i would only buy another Cruiser.

I would advise staying away from the 2.8TD. The 2.5TD can do 30 -33 mpg,something the 2.8 will never do. The secret is picking a good 2.5. My wife has a 1991 one (it is a Mark 2 which came to the uk in 92)- it has adjustable suspension, memory seats, aircon, sunroof -you name it, it has it. It has been very reliable (esp for a vehicle which gets serviced once a year!) Strangely Marshall tyres (one of cheaper brands) seem to suit it best and last the longest.

I would advise staying away from the 2.8TD. The 2.5TD can do 30 -33 mpg,something the 2.8 will never do. The secret is picking a good 2.5. My wife has a 1991 one (it is a Mark 2 which came to the uk in 92)- it has adjustable suspension, memory seats, aircon, sunroof -you name it, it has it. It has been very reliable

Ditto...albeit mine's one of the last MK1's....I have found them to be economical for the size and weight of the vehicle.

Despite being 17 years old, there's not a spot of rust on her....not something you could say of a Disco!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom