Mitsubishi Pulling out of UK and Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dippo

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus ES
The Mitsubishi importer for the UK (Colt Cars) has written to their dealers to advise them that Mitsubishi are pulling out of Europe, and will not be certifying any new models for compliance with European legislation, so once the existing model line up is superceded, there will be no more new cars.

The Mitsubishi importer for the UK (Colt Cars) has written to their dealers to advise them that Mitsubishi are pulling out of Europe, and will not be certifying any new models for compliance with European legislation, so once the existing model line up is superceded, there will be no more new cars.
Blimey, that’s a big move for such a major player. They do seem less common on the roads perhaps, but my goodness they must have lost a significant share to make that decision - it’s difficult and expensive to return to a market.

What about the farming and similar communities who all seem to drive L200s?

And what about all those Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - that was one of the most popular hybrids of that size in the UK

Pound for pound the L200 is probably the most popular pickup on sale right now.

Seems very strange but I’m sure they have their reasons!

Interesting.

Their Outlander was quite successful, in the UK anyway.

Mate of mine loves his PHEV. He’s on his second and was thinking about his next one.

PHEVs are very popular as UBER cars round my way.

"What took 'em so long?"

They've failed to gain any serious foothold in the European market. Nice products, for sure, but you need to sell volume to make money in this global world. South East Asia is a more natural, and profitable, market for this bit of the the Nissan / Renault / Mitsubishi Consortium.

Vehicles have been well priced in the UK - but doubtful that they made any money, because barely anyone does.

Last edited:
I am guessing that their owner, Nissan, is looking to restructure their branding and offerings across the group? If so, I wonder if this will affect Renault as well?

I am guessing that their owner, Nissan, is looking to restructure their branding and offerings across the group? If so, I wonder if this will affect Renault as well?
They’re by far the biggest shareholder with 34% of Mitsubishi Motors stock so there will certainly be an influence on strategy even if there is no absolute control.

Not sure that's quite true, I'm sure Nissan only own a third of Mitsubishi , under the Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi umbrella?

Not sure that's quite true, I'm sure Nissan only own a third of Mitsubishi , under the Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi umbrella?

It's not really an umbrella as such.

As rf065 said, Nissan is Mitsubishi Motors' biggest shareholder with 34.03% (and Renault in turn owns 43.4% in Nissan, while Nissan owns 15% in Renault).

In terms of turnover, Mitsubishi Motors (the division that makes cars) is a much smaller company compared to Nissan, their revenue is around a quarter of that of Nissan.

(c) Wikipedia

No wonder they are leaving the Europe, the last decent car they have offered here was early nineties Lancer
3E56DA4A-FCA4-444F-AB4C-41009E8FF8DF.jpeg

The Taxlander had the rug pulled out from under it when EV taxation and grants changed.

It all might be part of the continuing schism between Renault [ Europe] and Nissan [ JAPAN] typified by the Carlos Ghosn affair, with Japanese car manufacturers apparently wishing to favour/maintain their domestic manufacturing plants in an otherwise shrinking world market?

Perhaps they are restructuring and waiting for the final Brexit and look to UK legislation as apart from EU regs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom