Mitsubishi Pulling out of UK and Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blimey! You are easily pleased 😂
Back in nineties, I was really pleased with Lancer 1.5 and Mazda 323. Probably the best cars both brands ever made tbh.

We all knew manufacturers were going to do this because of the super strict euro emission standards and even now with all this suing for emissions they are obviously thinking its just not worth being here

My dad bought a new Mitsubishi Sapporo in a silver colour back in 78 or 79. Brilliant car with frameless windows and a digital clock with adjustable spotlights in the roof!!

We took it down to Antibes for our annual holiday where it went down a storm.

Back in nineties, I was really pleased with Lancer 1.5 and Mazda 323. Probably the best cars both brands ever made tbh.

What about the Starion, or 3000 GTO. Cool old Jap tin. First time my ol’ boy took me for a blast in the 3000 GTO as a young lad, I loved it, like a poor mans supercar!
Lancers are just a tad dull in standard guise to me. Perfectly adequate and capable for what they did, just dull and typical natty 90’s platsicy jap interior. For me it’s was all about the Galant, the pre-cursor to the Lancer and the early gen VR4 spawning the Evo in Lancer guise. Best Lancers for me we’re the Evo 4-6 with the 6 Tommy Mak GSR a particular fave. Most practical tho was my 8th gen Legnum VR4: 2.5L, V6, 24v, quad cam, Twin Turbo, 4wd, Active Yaw Control (electronic rear diff), Invecs 2 Tiptronic ‘box (Porsche’s Tip ‘box), about 280bhp. Went like a scolded cat and handles so well for a long roof. Really reliable too. Great for spirited driving, holiday wagon, and can fit a bathroom in the back! Had that car for ten years. Only moved it on when I got the E class.
4C63DC13-7522-4682-B895-D2DD5D37264A.jpeg

My dad bought a new Mitsubishi Sapporo in a silver colour back in 78 or 79. Brilliant car with frameless windows and a digital clock with adjustable spotlights in the roof!!

We took it down to Antibes for our annual holiday where it went down a storm.

Cool car 😎

And let's not forget

These alliances between European and Japanese car manufacturers----British Leyland/Honda ---Daimler/Mitsubishi *--- and more recently Renault/ Nissan rarely seem to end well---maybe its a culture clash thing?

*there's still a link from back then

Last edited:
What about the Starion, or 3000 GTO. Cool old Jap tin. First time my ol’ boy took me for a blast in the 3000 GTO as a young lad, I loved it, like a poor mans supercar!
Lancers are just a tad dull in standard guise to me. Perfectly adequate and capable for what they did, just dull and typical natty 90’s platsicy jap interior. For me it’s was all about the Galant, the pre-cursor to the Lancer and the early gen VR4 spawning the Evo in Lancer guise. Best Lancers for me we’re the Evo 4-6 with the 6 Tommy Mak GSR a particular fave. Most practical tho was my 8th gen Legnum VR4: 2.5L, V6, 24v, quad cam, Twin Turbo, 4wd, Active Yaw Control (electronic rear diff), Invecs 2 Tiptronic ‘box (Porsche’s Tip ‘box), about 280bhp. Went like a scolded cat and handles so well for a long roof. Really reliable too. Great for spirited driving, holiday wagon, and can fit a bathroom in the back! Had that car for ten years. Only moved it on when I got the E class.
View attachment 100182
Dont forget about the FTO either.

Had a Galant Wagon many years back, was good in its time.

Nice. Another capable car, the V6 sport Galant Wagon. Just a pity the UKDM Galant Wagon was lacking a pair of snails! JDM only in Legnum form for twin turbo.

In the '90s an IT colleague of mine had a sideline importing those from Japan. IIRC it took a good few years before Mitsubishi would sell you one in the UK.

Never really seen or heard any love for the FTO. Mrs D wanted one back in the 1990s but I managed to talk her in to an MX-5 instead.

In the end she loved the MX-5 so much she wouldn’t let me in it, never mind drive it! She insisted that we used my MR-2 if we were together, and even used my car to pick me up when I went out. Those were the days, I even went out! 😁

They're a shell of the company they used to be. While other car manufacturers have moved on, these guys are still building 90's cars.

I expect that Renault try to pick up the segment.

Never really seen or heard any love for the FTO.

They never appealed to me but my work colleague sold them as fast as he could import them. He drove one himself and regularly had people asking what it was and where they could get one, which is what gave him the idea.

Well (some) people want berserk over the Micra-based Nissan Figaro... go figure (pun not intended).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom