Mixing all-season and summer tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thrash

Car
C205 C200 Coupe
Hi all

I've been looking to switch out my current summer Contis for a set of all-seasons, however, the rear tyres have worn out around twice as quick as the front. Seems a bit of a shame to replace the front tyres so prematurely so was wondering if there would be any issues putting all seasons on the back and leaving the summer Contis on the front? Obviously when they wear out, probably in 12 months time or so at the current rate, I would replace them with all-seasons too.

I know mixing summer and winter tyres is a bad idea but summer and all-seasons?

It's quite common up here for people to put winters on just the drive wheels,
not ideal but maybe better than none at all.
Mixing all season is no different to mixing different brands imo.

It used to (as M80 says) used to be common place to fit winters to just the drive axle. But I saw someone with that set-up on a FWD lose it on snow and end up in the ditch.
You have options though. If you're in no particular hurry for all-seasons all round, then fit summers once more to the rear and when they're done, all four can be changed together.
I can't see any real problem with the mix you propose - other than in snow where you will have traction but not much else - certainly not from the front relative to the rear.

You should always put the best grip on the rear end of a car regardless of FWD/RWD. Obviously more difficult with staggered rims where you can't easily rotate.

So as long as you put the tyres on in pairs starting with the rears I don't think you will have any issues.

By definition, these tyres perform differently, so it seems a curious idea to trust 1.5 tonnes and one or two people to a non-matching tyre set up.

Given the tiny amount of money involved, why not just buy a set of new reliable tyres and sell the old ones on Ebay?

By definition, these tyres perform differently, so it seems a curious idea to trust 1.5 tonnes and one or two people to a non-matching tyre set up.

Given the tiny amount of money involved, why not just buy a set of new reliable tyres and sell the old ones on Ebay?

That's a fair point. Maybe, try them and if not appropriate follow with immediate fitment to the front of the same (and as suggested, sell the removed fronts on the 'bay)?

Oh, and I was told when I was a Nipper, for the future, it makes sense to get the garage to rotate wheels, to get more even wear.

(Although some used to argue that you put new tyres on the back, and then move them to the front....)

Different times....We used to accelerate a lot, back then....

I have a similar dilemma , bought a set of 18" AMG alloys which I used over the winter months in lieu of my 19" AMGs. They came with 7mm on the rear and about 5mm on the front. I need to change the fronts before putting them back this winter , plan is to fit Michelin crossclimates on the front and leave the rears until they wear out. Is this OK as the Michelins are all season ??

Oh, and I was told when I was a Nipper, for the future, it makes sense to get the garage to rotate wheels, to get more even wear.

(Although some used to argue that you put new tyres on the back, and then move them to the front....)

Different times....We used to accelerate a lot, back then....

I am all in favour of back-to-front wheel rotation, however while it's very straightforward on the Merc, on my Suzuki it involves reprogramming the TPMS sensors which requires a dealer diagnostic tool.

Personally I wouldn’t risk it. Sell the front tyres to be sure. If it becomes an issue then it won’t be the 99%+ of time when conditions are good, it will be when driving conditions are already dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom