Mixing TPMS sensors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reverend

Car
E220 Bluetec SE MY2016
Has anyone here mixed TPMS generation sensor types on their W212 (or other model) please?

I'm still debating whether to get the tyres changed on the W213 alloys I have to fit my W212 or just sell them on and get a W212 era set and have another possible complication.

The TPMS sensors weren't picked up on my car when I did a short drive on the W213 alloys, but I didn't do a reset at the time which may need to be done to relearn the new sensor IDs.

I picked up an Autel MaxiTPMS Pad from eBay which has confirmed the W213 sensors are working ok and has given me all four sensor IDs by reading through the tyres (it reads through the thinner 19 inch tyre sidewall but not the 17s). I may try again later after having a drive in case the low frequency 125KHz signal isn't get through on the existing wheels to wake the sensors up.

I've seen on some European sites that the newer part numbers should work on the Model Year 2016 W212 range which my S212 is.

The Autel software shows the following MB part numbers for the TPMS sensors:

W212 06/14 - A0009050030
W213 11/15 - 06/19 A0009052102

In theory they're the same vendor (Schrader) and same frequency (433Mhz), but I just wondered if anyone has already mixed types already (ie a garage didn't have the older type in stock and fitted newer). I'm hoping Mercedes didn't make this more complicated than it needs to by each generation expecting the transmission in a different format and that the receivers will be able to understand multiple TPMS transmissions.

I could always buy a set of Autel generics and clone the existing TPMS IDs and have them swapped over but it's just more expense.

It would be a lot easier if I could manually change one sensor ID via Xentry and then go for a drive with it sat in the boot to see if the car complains - I might have to check if that's possible saying that!

Last edited:
Just to confuse matters it seems the new sensors IDs are 8 characters starting with a 5 vs the older ones which are 7 characters (or 8 with a leading 0).

Blimey they don't make this easy. We've got traffic carnage around our area at the moment so I can't even take the car for a drive to fully waken up the sensors to see what is on my car currently - a job for tonight it would seem!

Just to confirm this isn't possible - I've been through the TPMS module to ensure it had the latest software loaded and noticed something in the last screen of Xentry which confirms that W212 of my era must begin with 0 (all mine are starting 00 in hex).

The W213 wheels are all 8 chars starting with a 5 so it's a software limitation enforced by MB.

Screenshot 2019-07-17 at 10.38.24.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom