Mixing tyres don’t shoot me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul73mt

Car
2010 C350 CDI Sport sold , 2015 E250 CDI AMG Line Sold
hope everyone has a good critics and new year. Sorry for not being on lately but have had a few problems over the last 3months. Anyway back to the question. I bought some winter wheels and tyres last year (2nd hand) went to put them on today but one tyre if different to the others. I have 3 Pirelli sorrotto 2’s and one brand new 3. Now they all are the same size but can I mix the tread patterns on one axle? If legaly you can but it’s not recommended that’s fine but what axle would you put them on? Then I can just get another sorrotto 3 in the week .

Thanks

It's legal and it's fine.

Once you get the new tyre... the tyres with the deepest tread should be fitted at the rear.

Just as long as they are the same size legally no problem.

Personally I would put the Matching pair on the Rear Axle. Once you have them all matching I would put the better ones, tread-wise, on the Rear.

In theory having different tread patterns at the front could cause the car to pull to one side due to different friction.

At the rear, the differential will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds.

So the mismatched tyres should ideally be fitted at the rear.

But this is all in theory.... in practice the likelihood is that the difference in friction between the different tyres will not be unnoticeable anyway.

Many thanks guys will put the odd one on the rear and then change one to make a as new pair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom