Mixing tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

littleowl

Car
C220 AMG Sport Edition Auto Estate, VW T5, Ducati Scrambler
I can’t find a set of all season tyres for the size of my rears (245/40/R17 91W), but can the fronts (225/45/R1791W). The only ones for the rears are either summer or winter.

Is it possible to mix front and rear, or will this affect the handling / cause warranty/insurance issues etc?

No, best not mix as they will have different handling characteristics.

If you're worried about winter, then I would buy a set of premium winter tyres and use them all year round. Using summer tyres in winter and winter tyres in summer means there will be a compromise, but on balance using modern winter tyres in summer is the best compromise (for me).

I can’t find a set of all season tyres for the size of my rears (245/40/R17 91W), but can the fronts (225/45/R1791W). The only ones for the rears are either summer or winter.

Is it possible to mix front and rear, or will this affect the handling / cause warranty/insurance issues etc?

If you want to use one set in your exact size then there's little option but to have a good set of winters (as Booby D says). You may have to go up to 95 load rating but shouldn't be a problem.

There's quite a choice out there but I would recommend Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme which I use on my Freelander. Unless I'm planning a very long trip across Europe they stay on all year round. It's +30c just now and they feel fine.

Review Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme

Oops, having recommended Vredestein I don't think they do your size either. Michelin and Nokian do though.

Unless you're mixing cross-ply with radials, I don't think you'll notice any difference; especially as you're matching them on each axle (not putting one brand on one side, and something different on the other).

You may even chose to put a stiffer tyre in the front that you can lean on a bit more, and something softer in the rear to give more traction.

Don’t mix radials with cross ply, if you have to, radials on the back one cross ply on front even if the car is front wheel drive.

I always recommend to people to get the same brand of tyre across all four wheels if they can as that is what I try and do (unless changing to a different brand with not both axles needing to be changed).

I don't really drive this CL on the ragged edge like I used to my previous car but even when pressing on, and all throughout the Winter months, it's fine. I have Contis on the rear and Goodyears on the front.

Differences in tread depths across different axles probably makes more of a difference and certainly pressure does, as would I imagine, different types of tyres.

(as Booby D says)

Do you know something we don't? :D

As others said, the best advice is to get the same tyres (ideally also the same make and model) on all 4 wheels, even if it means driving on winter tyres all year round.

Mixing summer tyres with winter tyres or with all-weather tyres is a no-no.

One last thought - have you checked your handbook to see if you can fit different-size tyres on the same rims? If you can, then ossibly you'll find all-weather tyres for all 4 wheels.

This thread reminded me of a very earnest warning from an old Public Information film:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This thread reminded me of a very earnest warning from an old Public Information film:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I tried mixing radials, just known as Michelin X, in the mid 1950s on a VW long before any PI films. Big improvement in road holding.

What I’m after is comfort, with some winter road holding abilities. My car has lowered suspension so I don’t want anything that is going to make the ride harder! I may have to compromise somewhere - haven’t checked the handbook yet to see if I can fit different sizes on the rims

Same with my CLK, has been fine :)
I've got Michelin Pilot Sports all around, but I need to get the fronts replaced and want something I can lean on so was looking at putting the same on again. - I found Goodyears too soft in the past; the Nissan took them (Eagle F1) to slicks in a year:
BuT6tCx-gs6YMypumJCco9AkHZvMQLXL9npbzmElFZQ6-9MYcludc0OZt0fMIa243jI0HWH9lfSWNhysC9rGopPm2N2viIrPvAprurhPQo0IbjuxBPj_WrSkZxlU5CEwPHPtyzOj2IL3LDZQI2HVQuwVEuPSzMDcVmb-h2HAx6WBUJMyDUFUi3i6NA5nqgfIO8nEFQYv-WSLKrbIU6N5uOI60TFxeTDdW0F-CvPSTzXBMG761Op3nVDQu3vBKKuLxE6-Tjno0kBfcZGAMPxDp2SHGsEF3pjZueLgsxm0wAPK4Y8ghBGEyYZcm7jargmodj_LhECtH0DDGeuMEPkcruEhmd65FP5b9Gut_dk2IrxaKck9ixxM8oIEl2KdGpGivTH7_1_OheMj2iPMaPcgMtkGSL4m-8ZxeK4ANpdH9vKhbEFkAUEHZzas7XYOwHe4gMeDydSWfyeYG5O8Xw19vkflhE2PhhKBLPbkeigsQt8X4PGc11YmW8FL-RhsrqHtBxotu-A-FdNZ-IB7GwU4eNMDcz876B_fQ5GVb-V9gWNUgAPIAfsJ2KTLXDhKFoWaN0ckxxlaPdfDXoGXuhXpaFrXLl40llVgSuWIvEw=w734-h974-no

Legal ? yes

Wise? No

Mixing tyres which will have different characteristics is asking for trouble, particularly under very heavy braking.

I would avoid this route at all costs

I've got Michelin Pilot Sports all around, but I need to get the fronts replaced and want something I can lean on so was looking at putting the same on again. - I found Goodyears too soft in the past; the Nissan took them (Eagle F1) to slicks in a year:
BuT6tCx-gs6YMypumJCco9AkHZvMQLXL9npbzmElFZQ6-9MYcludc0OZt0fMIa243jI0HWH9lfSWNhysC9rGopPm2N2viIrPvAprurhPQo0IbjuxBPj_WrSkZxlU5CEwPHPtyzOj2IL3LDZQI2HVQuwVEuPSzMDcVmb-h2HAx6WBUJMyDUFUi3i6NA5nqgfIO8nEFQYv-WSLKrbIU6N5uOI60TFxeTDdW0F-CvPSTzXBMG761Op3nVDQu3vBKKuLxE6-Tjno0kBfcZGAMPxDp2SHGsEF3pjZueLgsxm0wAPK4Y8ghBGEyYZcm7jargmodj_LhECtH0DDGeuMEPkcruEhmd65FP5b9Gut_dk2IrxaKck9ixxM8oIEl2KdGpGivTH7_1_OheMj2iPMaPcgMtkGSL4m-8ZxeK4ANpdH9vKhbEFkAUEHZzas7XYOwHe4gMeDydSWfyeYG5O8Xw19vkflhE2PhhKBLPbkeigsQt8X4PGc11YmW8FL-RhsrqHtBxotu-A-FdNZ-IB7GwU4eNMDcz876B_fQ5GVb-V9gWNUgAPIAfsJ2KTLXDhKFoWaN0ckxxlaPdfDXoGXuhXpaFrXLl40llVgSuWIvEw=w734-h974-no
My goodness! Did you not notice any ill effects as they were getting to this stage? Really scary.
I bet it felt amazing when you put the new tyres on

Reminds me of the rears on my M3 Evo just before I changed them. They were on the treadwears rather than quite as slick as that but the car handled amazingly still.

It's AWD so I didn't notice a great change in the grip levels, and it's probably a result of my trying to dial-out the inherent understeer of the setup.

I was on the way to doing the same thing with Bridgestone Potenzas too:
PB54P-M2YpmecHGOME7PwG_unpKx6ArxH_Y5Q9j067O1Hheon2MTZVWIURUAR4bNuoJjgKsH87XptsusBhL7CPYaldCuCd_81GPQQZRSLX06kUXQ7PToADfbqikJ1UbjnX4ELmUirTVgMOozH82x3w2Dxmp4x-1KLv3GKdFf2kV9D2vOVvGXV3yAEA1XKj2Nu1le39dnjNv7vFBmieFf9VI44Rt0yshzyP7kVTnh_vjp9rSfE_9VLbp-iP_v9ZPxnISC_e1Ym3MHatFD4gyUwGyv54M0QQJC-eMnyJCnufmIlI3dyvN5UHTkmVvWwsBQ418mDTnNVoDdpZoG8rDjgWnnPnI0_I5TnSxwqolGo4xmu9suXvAa4BV2PplzU97zKE1Xywn5KTAbnSb4SC2dqJrFlD2fCnokLZUsOydgUPv0RFY_Sro8N72l2Yo_jVumXXamkkrZvgH-L-9JuoxzOz3X19jgfnr7Gq4QhWE_oVDLs3lkb5djqhoHYrYEoziVms5TNZomsUh-FLpz_DhxmjEup-OjDPDDbzFAXeFAd2b6pORQTWMUdgmKXxNvm6o-yg8Q1Fr7Mwe8ioK06_EwWWRDaowHKKk5RhtsaVTJ=w1299-h974-no

Same with my CLK, has been fine :)

I've got Bridgestone on the back and falken on the front of mine.

There are absolutely NO ill effects whatsoever. In fact, as a stop gap I had a Bridgestone on one side and a conti on t'other side of the rear axle, while I got another potenza sorted. Again, you honestly couldn't tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom