Mk1 Toyota MR2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swiss Toni

MB Enthusiast
Car
Pedestrian
Just bought one of these - a Mk1 Toyota MR2 T-Bar - What a great little motor!

Handles like nothing else (goes 'round corners!!!) and revs to over 7k before the red-line.

All for less than £1000.

Build quality is good (plastics not so good, but other materials have lasted well). No cat, engine spins very freely, all the electrics work too.

Fantastic.

I know it's not a Merc, but credit where it is due, this is a good car!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Disgraceful! Once again someone buys a new toy and not a pic in sight! :(

Shude said:
Disgraceful! Once again someone buys a new toy and not a pic in sight! :(

If I posted a pic every time I bought a new car you'd have to change the site name to "Auto Trader" or similar.....

;)

Swiss Toni said:
Just bought one of these - a Mk1 Toyota MR2 T-Bar - What a great little motor!

Handles like nothing else (goes 'round corners!!!) and revs to over 7k before the red-line.

All for less than £1000.

Build quality is good (plastics not so good, but other materials have lasted well). No cat, engine spins very freely, all the electrics work too.

Fantastic.

I know it's not a Merc, but credit where it is due, this is a good car!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Mr Toni Sir.....

I know exactly where you are coming from, i parted with my 1990 CRX VTEC, which went round corners a treat , redlined at 8000 , also no cat and sketchy plastics, for £1000 to get rid of it once the Merc arrived ..

Hardly a day goes by when i dont think of it, dont get me wrong i love my Merc but its a whole different sort of driving experience. Redline at 6K :( less power then my CRX and twice the weight !!

Have been giving serious thought to getting another one as a 'toy' , hardly anyone knew what it was (156 bhp from a 1.6 weighing about 900kg). Used to see off all sorts, MR2's , Pug205's , just as they were changing gear you had another 1 or 2 thousand rpm left !! :D

In my opinion for out and out fun you can't beat the Jap pocket rockets !

cheers (sorry to hijack your thread) heres a piccy, mine was silver, Honda gave it the best name it was 'Blade Silver'

H

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean, we've got a Nissan 300XZ TT as well, and for the price it's an absolute bargain.

£4k for a 3 litre twin turbo, chipped to 400bhp with full black leather interior, manual (rare) and the engine and ride is a sweet as a nut. Once rated on of the best drivers cars of it's time! Really is a cracker (and done the 'ring a few times too!)

You can't beat these 'older' Jap perfomance cars for the fun factor and value for money these days.

Congrats, and enjoy your new toy! :D

It looks something like this.....

res28564.highlight.jpg

Last edited:
scotth_uk said:
>and done the 'ring a few times too!

Including the wall!

That’s the beauty of such a car, it's not worth much, so it doesn't matter if it hits a few bits of armaco - in fact, the car has only ever been insured third party!

I take it the boys never got charged for the damage to the wall? :bannana:

scotth_uk said:
I take it the boys never got charged for the damage to the wall? :bannana:

No, they just acted in 'Brits Abroad' mode and confused the 'ring official !

Excellent! Just repeatedly say "English?" and get louder and louder, then angry, then insult him, then ask him who won the war.....

Hah HAhahahha!

So are you going to mod it? There are some pretty mean superchargers for them, and for not a lot of money you can get a car that will rip the head off a porsche 911 :devil: a true classic :) The mk3 models have dropped in value like mad... I struggled to get £11K for mine in the summer It was less than 3 years old :( I will get another one when they drop to around 4K

Have fun :)

I have the funny feeling that the supercharged engine for the MR2 might be the Toyota 4AGZE which is a tremendous engine. Another option is the (can't remember it's name) naturally aspirated 20 valve 4 cylinder which really moves!

Just make sure you've got very good rear tyres - and don't ever touch the brake when cornering. Transverse rear-engined cars (which is arguably what the MR2 is, as opposed to mid-engined) have a lot of the characteristics associated with rear engines. Their most stable configuration is going backwards and they don't need much provokation to end up doing this. So you need the best tyres you can get and watch it in the wet. I've known two people who had these cars and they both wrote them off, because they didn't understand that it was very different from your hot hatch. It's a hot hatch turned round.

Last edited:
Get a smart roadster, not quite a merc but you do get all the joy of dealing with the same "not quite half a clue" dealerships!
Fantastic grip and good power slides too, all from a 700cc engine and you can get a new one for under £10k, and 50mpg even when not being too sensible with it!

Kate

MainMan said:
Just make sure you've got very good rear tyres - and don't ever touch the brake when cornering. Transverse rear-engined cars (which is arguably what the MR2 is, as opposed to mid-engined) have a lot of the characteristics associated with rear engines. Their most stable configuration is going backwards and they don't need much provokation to end up doing this. So you need the best tyres you can get and watch it in the wet. I've known two people who had these cars and they both wrote them off, because they didn't understand that it was very different from your hot hatch. It's a hot hatch turned round.

Agree here. A friend of mine had one when they were first new.
he was showing off the tremendous levels of grip on a twisty bit of road. At 80mph the grip let go.. Oh err.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom