ML 163 skidding

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by Stuart O, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Stuart O

Stuart O Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C 250cdi est.
    Hi -

my 05 ML 270 CDI seems to have a tendency to lose grip at the back at skid q alarmingly on wet roads when I wouldnt really have expected it.
    I recently had a roof box on with 3 sets of golf clubs in, this made it very tail happy and frightened the life out of the kids, so much so that I was sure I had a puncture ...:confused:

anybody any views / ideas why this is the case - OK the roads were damp / wet but I wasnt nipping on or speeding, a conventional FWD car wouldnt have slid out at those times I am sure.. :mad:

Stuart

2. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Strange. How long have you had the car, and when did you notice this behaviour?

Checked tyre pressures? Matching tyre patterns and tread depth on all four wheels? Any ESP warning lights on the dash?

3. PXW

PXW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 350 bluetec AMG night edition prem+
    Was it behaving consistently badly or just on certain bends? I wonder whether some diesel spillage might not be to blame if the car is generally handling securely?

4. wobbly

wobbly Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2013 ML350 AMG, 1989 500SL Now sold, replaced with 2007 Aston Martin DB9
    In the three and a half years I owned my 163, I never thought it was anything other than stable. I would have it checked out.

5. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    Maybe a diff or transfer box issue.

Its a new one on me.

6. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Are the diffs locked up.? That will cause jumping as they unwind when grip is marginal.

7. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    4esp Inoperative.

It sounds as if the 4ESP system isn't working properly :( or switched off? :eek: Does the warning triangle in the instrument cluster light up at all during these alarming moments.:confused: Good explanation here. :D http://www.whnet.com/4x4/esp.html

otherwise tyres! tyres! tyres!;)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  8. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430

Me too.....

9. OP
    OP
    Stuart O

Car:
    C 250cdi est.

I havent engaged diffs as far as I know and there are no w lights on - tyres are v good tread depth and are Avon Rangers ( whatever they are )
    No ESP warnings came up - bit disconcerting - car will be 3 late August and was planning getting a 'health check' done at same time as MOT ..

thanks for all thoughts though....

Stuart

10. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Could you give a few more details on the tyre since there are several versions of the AVON RANGER. They tend to have different speed rating and tread pattern which will give markedly different road handling characteristics for example.
    http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/?page=tyres&method=subcatcontents&pid=6

If the skidding is as bad as you say I really would expect to see the ESP warning triangle to be blinking?? Does it light up at all when you switch on the ignition for example?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  11. Carrotchomper

Carrotchomper Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A8 4.2 Quattro
    The tyre pressures would be the most immediate thing to check, they have a massive effect on handling.

Not trying to instruct anyone in the fine art of egg sucking, mind :devil:

12. benztech

benztech Member

Car:
    E55 -SOLD RS6 C180
    Just a suggestion but have you checked the rear shock absorbers

13. OP
    OP
    Stuart O

Car:
    C 250cdi est.
    the ESP warning light comes on pre start up as you would expect then goes out - I cannot remember seeing it flashing when skidding although my arms were a blur at the time :eek:
    I will check the AVONs and pressures in case of a glaring error - only had car for 5 months and this is 1st time I have any probs with stability of any kind, usually tracking etc is superb..:)

cheers again tho..:)

14. OP
    OP
    Stuart O

Car:
    C 250cdi est.
    ML skidding

the ESP warning light comes on pre start up as you would expect then goes out - I cannot remember seeing it flashing when skidding although my arms were a blur at the time [​IMG]
    I will check the AVONs and pressures in case of a glaring error - only had car for 5 months and this is 1st time I have any probs with stability of any kind, usually tracking etc is superb..[​IMG]

cheers again tho..[​IMG]

Oops !! looks like a blunder on my part - before my journey I checked all tyre pressures except drivers rear as the side profile looked same as n / side :eek: turns out I have a puncture - nail noted in treaded area so I have approx 20 psi in tyre..
    This combined with 4 sets of golf clubs in roof box + luggage in boot - no wonder she threw her hand in on tight turns to the left, theres me badmouthing the ESP as well doh !!:crazy:

thanks for all comments tho !!

Stuart

15. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Mystery solved.:bannana:

Tags: