ML 163 skidding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stuart O

Car
C 250cdi est.
Hi -

my 05 ML 270 CDI seems to have a tendency to lose grip at the back at skid q alarmingly on wet roads when I wouldnt really have expected it.
I recently had a roof box on with 3 sets of golf clubs in, this made it very tail happy and frightened the life out of the kids, so much so that I was sure I had a puncture ...:confused:

anybody any views / ideas why this is the case - OK the roads were damp / wet but I wasnt nipping on or speeding, a conventional FWD car wouldnt have slid out at those times I am sure.. :mad:

Stuart

Strange. How long have you had the car, and when did you notice this behaviour?

Checked tyre pressures? Matching tyre patterns and tread depth on all four wheels? Any ESP warning lights on the dash?

Was it behaving consistently badly or just on certain bends? I wonder whether some diesel spillage might not be to blame if the car is generally handling securely?

In the three and a half years I owned my 163, I never thought it was anything other than stable. I would have it checked out.

Maybe a diff or transfer box issue.

Its a new one on me.

Are the diffs locked up.? That will cause jumping as they unwind when grip is marginal.

4esp Inoperative.

It sounds as if the 4ESP system isn't working properly :( or switched off? :eek: Does the warning triangle in the instrument cluster light up at all during these alarming moments.:confused: Good explanation here. :D http://www.whnet.com/4x4/esp.html

otherwise tyres! tyres! tyres!;)

Last edited:
Are the diffs locked up.? That will cause jumping as they unwind when grip is marginal.

I havent engaged diffs as far as I know and there are no w lights on - tyres are v good tread depth and are Avon Rangers ( whatever they are )
No ESP warnings came up - bit disconcerting - car will be 3 late August and was planning getting a 'health check' done at same time as MOT ..

thanks for all thoughts though....

Stuart

Could you give a few more details on the tyre since there are several versions of the AVON RANGER. They tend to have different speed rating and tread pattern which will give markedly different road handling characteristics for example.
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/?page=tyres&method=subcatcontents&pid=6

If the skidding is as bad as you say I really would expect to see the ESP warning triangle to be blinking?? Does it light up at all when you switch on the ignition for example?

Last edited:
The tyre pressures would be the most immediate thing to check, they have a massive effect on handling.

Not trying to instruct anyone in the fine art of egg sucking, mind :devil:

Just a suggestion but have you checked the rear shock absorbers

Could you give a few more details on the tyre since there are several versions of the AVON RANGER. They tend to have different speed rating and tread pattern which will give markedly different road handling characteristics for example.
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/?page=tyres&method=subcatcontents&pid=6

If the skidding is as bad as you say I really would expect to see the ESP warning triangle to be blinking?? Does it light up at all when you switch on the ignition for example?

the ESP warning light comes on pre start up as you would expect then goes out - I cannot remember seeing it flashing when skidding although my arms were a blur at the time :eek:
I will check the AVONs and pressures in case of a glaring error - only had car for 5 months and this is 1st time I have any probs with stability of any kind, usually tracking etc is superb..:)

cheers again tho..:)

ML skidding

the ESP warning light comes on pre start up as you would expect then goes out - I cannot remember seeing it flashing when skidding although my arms were a blur at the time
redface.gif

I will check the AVONs and pressures in case of a glaring error - only had car for 5 months and this is 1st time I have any probs with stability of any kind, usually tracking etc is superb..
smile.gif

cheers again tho..
smile.gif

Oops !! looks like a blunder on my part - before my journey I checked all tyre pressures except drivers rear as the side profile looked same as n / side :eek: turns out I have a puncture - nail noted in treaded area so I have approx 20 psi in tyre..
This combined with 4 sets of golf clubs in roof box + luggage in boot - no wonder she threw her hand in on tight turns to the left, theres me badmouthing the ESP as well doh !!:crazy:

thanks for all comments tho !!

Stuart

Mystery solved.:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom