Ml 250 or 350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy6971

Car
Ml350
Hi I'm looking at buying a ML250 or 350 diesel it will be used to tow a small caravan which model will be best and is the air magic better to go for over the springs what is to look out i know service history is a must im after a 14 or 15 reg and willing to pay around 17000 to 20000
Any help would be greatly appreciated

My gut feeling would be to say go with the larger 350 engine to make for less stress on the car . I’m sure plenty of caravaners will give their opinion shortly

Hi I'm looking at buying a ML250 or 350 diesel it will be used to tow a small caravan which model will be best and is the air magic better to go for over the springs what is to look out i know service history is a must im after a 14 or 15 reg and willing to pay around 17000 to 20000
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Either will do a great job of towing a caravan, although the 350 will make for a more relaxing drive, the 250 will be up to the job but will have to work harder.

The W166 is a great platform, and makes an excellent towcar. I personally like air suspension but many prefer a traditional set up - air suspension was an expensive option on most models and so isn’t easy to come by on the secondhand market.

I can’t comment on the engines as I have no direct experience, but I know the platform well, and in that respect there aren’t any major weakploints. As with any car, buy the best you can afford with the best maintenance record, and with matching quality tyres in good condition.

350 all day long even if not towing, the 250 is a good enough engine just a bit loud for something like an ML/GLE in my opinion.

Had a 320 then a 350 ML, plenty of power , not towed with them but would expect with a van behind you would be better with the 350 and without it you would love the extra power of the bigger engine.

I do think the ml350 will be more suited to me but will it be better with airmatic or the standard spring if I'm going to use it for towing

Had my ml350 for a few months now and I love it. So smooth with the airmatic suspension. Would highly recommend.

I do think the ml350 will be more suited to me but will it be better with airmatic or the standard spring if I'm going to use it for towing
I don't have Airmatic so cannot comment on it however, I tow a large caravan with std suspension on our 166 and it is more than up to the job. I guess the self levelling nature would be of help if you are carrying a good load and maxing out the nose weight of the caravan.

I don't have Airmatic so cannot comment on it however, I tow a large caravan with std suspension on our 166 and it is more than up to the job. I guess the self levelling nature would be of help if you are carrying a good load and maxing out the nose weight of the caravan.
Hi Martyn

No its just a small 2 berth caravan but may get a 4 berth so the standard should be ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom