ML 270 CDI Kickdown issue - Help!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

msd123

Car
W163 ML 270 CDI
ML 270 CDI Strange Kickdown issue - Help!!

Hello all,

I need some help as I cannot understand what is going on with my 2003 Ml 270 CDI.

I took the car to Mercland in Nuneaton today as I needed the MAF replaced (no kickdown and no power above 2500rpm) and at the same time the thermostat was replaced.

The above items were replaced by Nathan (mechanic) and he noticed that one of the injectors needed resealing. I had the additional work done and went on my merry way.

The car kicked down instantly as it did before and the power was back to normal. However, with 400 yards I heard a ticking sound and to cut a long story short, the injector was leaking all over the place.

So back again and Nathan resealed the injector and cleaned up lots of diesel deposits in the engine compartment.

The front of the car was covered with diesel and Mercland kindly offered a wash and I agreed, the valet then asked if I wanted the engine bay washed with some detergent and a hose pipe? I asked if anything could/would be damaged (bearing in mind that the maf had been replaced) and he said no.

So now as you may have guessed, engine bay was cleaned, and as I left the premises........yep you have guessed no kickdown, but the power is still there.

Does the maf need cleaning with electrical contact spray or has it been damaged by the water?

I rang Mercland back straight away and spoke to Nathan the mechanic and he stated that it would naturally dry out.

But how long should/could it take?

I only got the engine bay cleaned as I was assured that no damage would occur.

Pierburg maf was used from ecp along with genuine thermostat from dealer.

Not a happy chap at the moment as I feel the engine bay cleaning has caused the damage. :mad:

Any ideas or help would be appreciated

Many thanks

Last edited:
You can speed up the drying out process ..if you park it in your garage, then go round the engine bay with a hair dryer OR put a heater in the garage up full and leave for a while (an hour or so..) you should find things will improve..some will say against it others not but once dry you could go over it with WD40 to prevent dampness ..

You could also have more than one issue with the car regarding lack of power, split boost hoses/intercooler, egr valve etc, I doubt giving the engine a once over with a hose pipe would cause any problems.

Could be inlet manifold flaps or flap motor causing no kickdown.
You need codes read.

Thanks for the replies, however as I mentioned earlier I have no issues with power and the kickdown worked fine before the hosing of the engine.

Any further help ideas are welcome

If it was me I would go out for a few long drives so the engine will dry out via heat from itself and the air running under the car whilst travelling. You may find in a day or two it all reverts back to normal. Diesel engines are usually fine for a good engine bay clean but as with any modern car there is more and more electrical components nestled under the bonnet. Take it back in a few days and ask for the ecu to be read in case there is a fault code stored.

I was on my way back home from the garage and had literally driven 15 seconds up the road when the injector started leaking. Then went back and got the injector resealed and thats when the hosing of the engine bay happened (lots of diesel splattered in engine compartment).

Thanks for the suggestions and I will go for some long trips and hopwfully that will dry things out asap.

Do people think its worth speaking to Jay at Mercland if the drying does not solve the issue?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom