ml 270 cdi tip auto box probs 2001

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang

Car
ml 270 brabus d4,
hi all . recently i had problems with my auto tip box . i sent it in to a local speciailsit and they changed the wiring withinn the gearbox and did a gear box service . its been fine for say a year . occasionally it would still rev high then change gear (higher than normal ) but now it is more serious i feel . when accelrating medium to hard it will rev very high then stay out of gear . sometimes while coasting i can put it into neutal and back into drive , but it will be in limp mode ( not allowing me to apply power and not allowing me to change gear ) but more worrying it does also rev high then go out of gear then the car engine will turn itself off completely . just happend to me twice this morning , so while coasting i have to select neutral and turn the engine back on and then select drive. it is overdue a b service and will get it booked in on monday . one of the times it did it the epc light came on . also i have been to mercs 2 weeks ago for the recall . ( think it was a block replaced on a sensor -epc i think ? ) any ideas ??

have heard some people saying the plates need replacing and also oil traveling up the wiring loom in the gear box ? need to check oil level .

cheers shaun

anyone with any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated . struggling to find the fault
cheers shaun

Hi Shaun, you have 2x different problems here.

The engine cut out and EPC warning will be engine management related - possibly a duff injector or some such, but a Star test would be the place to start.

The transmission fault, more info needed here.....

1. Does it always do it on the same gearchange, and which change is it?
2. Does it usually change gears perfectly, unless it is playing up? (ie, are changes smooth without any 'flaring'?)
3. Is the oil level OK?
4. What fault codes do you have?

There is a known fault with the valve body on the MLs, causing occasional gaer selection problems between 3rd and 4th which result in the box going to neutral.
Have a read here... 2003 ML270 Gear slips when changing up 3rd to 4th - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

hi alex . just picked it up from the b service. no errors pointing towards gear box problems, i had the wiring harness done a while ago , he said it could be the electrical plate in the gear box ? quoted me 450 odd to supply and fit ? however oil level is spot on . its a intermitant problem , i have the d4 brabus chip and i do like to pull away fast , but am worried about the engine stopping when it does go into neutral ( this only has happend a few times ) generaly it goes into neutral then i slow down put it back into drive and it goes into limp mode. then i turn off and back on and its fine. it does seem to be 3 to 4 . will keep an eye on that. i have the auto tip and do use the tip for going down for the engine breaking.

what about sensors ? do i need to clean any up and check any ?

cheers shaun

You will not necessarily get errors with the flaring issue, but faulty sensors in the gearbox electroplate will always log codes - highly unlikely to be the electroplate.

What engine management codes have been logged?
You will have codes, every time you see EPC on the dash a fault will be logged.

thanks for the link alex. have read through the posts. intersted in what the valve chest is and if its the same thing as the electronic plates in the gear box. my guy said to possibly replace the elctronic plate ? will call him up tomorrow and see it there is a difference. but my gear box has the very same fault. seems to be between 3 and 4 generally , and when its hot. never heard it called flearing more a high rev and then change or it revs really high and goes out of gear like it is slipping and not engaging and possibly the engine managment takes over and puts it into limp mode for safety .

cheers

shaun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom