ML 270 for the Wife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marcel-Anthony

Car
C350 V6 Coupe, ML300, Slk 200K
I have spotted a car for the Wife, A nice Black 2003 ML270CDI. The only trouble is that is going through my local auction tomorrow morning and apart from the normal issues that comes with auction cars. Can any one give any pointers of what to look out for with the ML. I know I wont have a great deal of time to inspect it.

Its done 115k and its coming from a main dealer group that I know (through some one who used to work for them) that the cars they send to auction are cars that have sat in stock for to long or have a few things that need doing but make the car to expensive for them to fix as it negates the profit. So I am not expecting it to be perfect.

Also what do you guys think its worth. I am hoping for around 3k plus buying costs of around £500 do you think this is the right figure for an auction car. I have done some research on the prices of MLs and the bottom book (cap is around £2670 but that,s from a June book so its a little out of date.

Do you think the dealers would be put off by the wheels and body kit ? I hope so as that's why she likes it.

So your thoughts on what to look out for and a guide price would be really helpful.

Thanks
Marcel-Anthony

2hgffj6.jpg
[/IMG]

Bodykit is good as it's the rare AMG kit and was probably factory fitted. Wheels may put many bidders off as they're love them or hate them in style - might be too much hassle for traders.

Look for brake wear, weaping struts (dampers in English) especially at the rear, broken springs (again at the rear), worn ball joints and worn bushes. Struts and springs are supplied as a single unit only by Mercedes and so replacing one becomes an expensive business.

As you look from the front of the car, look at the right side of the engine block for black streaks, evidence of black oil spots on paintwork, and black oily liquid gathering in the engine under tray. These are signs of a leaking inlet manifold which is difficult to repair unless you are very confident with a spanner.

Looks nice. And a ML is a great family motor - large enough to carry people and things and tough enough to protect them. I think the wheels look well with the black car - and the side steps can make it easier for people to get in and out - I have them myself.

But - as your topic says "ML270 for the wife" I'd need to see a photo of her to be certain that it's a fair swap...

Well we did not go for the ML today. One the whole the car looked nice just a little bit of rust on the tailgate and front wing below one of the headlights.

It was not until it it was started in the row that you could hear the engine was not well. There was oil splatter on the water tank and was rather noisy. Even the auction guy mentioned the noisy engine. What a shame as the car looked great.

It went just below for just below my budget at £2850 plus fees of £418 but given that it was more then likely the injectors were gone. I did not want to take on that as if I found anything else major wrong it would have made it an expensive car.

Its a real shame as we really liked the look of the car but were not in a rush to change as it was for the wife (and me to, if I am being honest with myself).

I am slightly regretful not going for it but maybe I dodged and whole lot of trouble. I guess now I will never know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom