ML 270 intermittent Limp mode home (literally)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bing

Car
W124.036 E500 (Sold) W140 S600L (Sold) W163 ML270 CDI 2004 (SOLD)W208 CLK55
Interesting and worrying experience happened today with my ML270. About 10mins after start up , while driving I noticed the Climate control/HVAC system had shut down completely i.e. no a/c or fan control. then car went into Limp mode. Pulled to the side of road, did the usual switch off ignition and lock/unlock but would not crank and none of the dash warning lights coming on as if battery disconnected. However, hazards flashing ok, radio ok and interior/exterior lights ok.

Did the locking/unlocking a few times with the fob and eventually started as normal but minutes later i'm back in Limp mode, climate shut down and this time i noticed the Instrument gauges are all dead, so no speedo/rev/temp/fuel indication, Odometer/clock/outside temp ok though. I carried on driving as I had about 40miles to get home (didn't want to switch it off in case it won't start again) and all the while it kept resetting itself intermittently while doing 50-60mph on the A1 - suddenly i would see all the warning lights come on, gauges flick up to normal reading, a/c on and all seem fine back to normal power. It kept this cycle of Limp mode - power back on - Limp mode - power back on for a good 1hr.

5 or so miles from home I'm now in stop and go traffic(still intermittent limp mode ) it now won't shift to 3rd gear, so i pulled to the side, tried reverse gear and it engages no problem, back into drive pulled away and all 100% back to normal all the way home.

Any ideas or anyone experienced the same?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom