ML 270 power loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shorty

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4 , Ducati 999 , mr2
Evening all

My Wife's ML270 is acting up again :mad

The Jeep drops into limp mode most times its driven . I find that when im driving easy and the revs are around 2k it happens, restarting it will restore power back again and it will most often stay ok until it is parked up for a few hours .

I have checked the codes and im getting a few relating to glow plugs and one for Charge Pressure control Positive control variation ( charge pressure is too low ) the code is P1470-016 .

I have have checked the vacuum pipes leading to the EGR valve and turbo and all the pipes seem ok with no cracks or tears .

The Turbo was rebuilt at Christmas after is died, so I dont suspect that the vanes are sticking . I have also changed the control valve for the turbo vacuum . The primary CAT has been removed so I cant be blocked . The MAF too was changed with a genuine MB part.

Where else should I look for the cause of this problem , could it be a blocked EGR or intake manifold causing my problems ?

Many thanks

On my ml270 had same problem , the flaps on the inlet manifold were not opening and closing due to wear on the butterfly spindles . I at first thought it was a turbo problem . Replaced manifold and all was back to normal
Marc

So you describe a ML270 as a Jeep?

What do you call your Ducati, a Lambreta :-> ??

Michael

Thanks Marc , I suspect it may be the inlet manifold , its hit me for everything else lol .

@Micheal, I don't call it my ducatti anymore , its been sold therefore its clearly someone else's lambreta ,lol

Id like to repost this tread , hopefully some one can help ,

Im still having the same problem and I have since checked the EGR , it clean and function correctly . The swirl flaps have been disconnected and jammed open so I dont think their the cause .

I wonder could I be loosing vacuum at my manifold , I notice that there is oil seeping from the swirl flap spindles . Could this be causing my problems ?

Hi,
Oil coming through the swirl flap spindles can get into the flap motor (underneath the manifold) and cause that to fail and generate limp mode, but I think you would get a relevant fault code indicating the manifold motor (so may not be the case for yours- but certainly common at a certain age with these.

I'm guessing that if you have had your turbo worked on that when reinstalling that all the boost hoses (not the vacuum ones as you have mentioned that these have been checked) were checked. A leak in the hose from the turbo to the inter cooler, or from the inter cooler to EGR could cause your problem (or the intercooler itself)

These are the cheaper options to check fully and not too bad to get access to, remove and fully inspect. the one from the inter cooler to the EGR has a metal locking end on it so is a Merc only part and costs around £45, the metal lugs on these are a common weak point and get damaged so the large EGR circlip doesn't hold it fully in- worth checking.

If its not hoses, and given others experience then it might be CAT. You say you have had your primary CAT removed, could it be the secondary one? I have seen a number of posts from others claiming that debris from a damaged primary CAT had blocked the secondary CAT which had needed replacing too - I don't want to recommend you change that as its expensive but worth considering if the cheaper causes don't give you the answer.

good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thanks for your replies guys,

I can rule out the both CATS , they have both been removed .

I rechecked the vacuum lines again today and took a reading , i was getting 70 cm Hg at the point where the small lines T off from the brake booster and from the entry point for the turbo actuating valve , this increases slightly when the engine is revved by about 4 or 5 cm .I think I can assume that all is well here .

I had a quick look at some of the turbo boost pipes and they seem ok and fitted right , but I will have a closer look this weekend .

I checked under the manifold to where the swirl flaps exit the bottom of the manifold and noticed a lot of free play when I could push the swirl flap lever inwards by 10 or even 15 mm . This is now making me suspect that maybe these swirl flaps are badly worn and this inwards movement is allowing a boost leak causing the limp mode with this fault code .How probable is this ?

Any taught s greatly appreciated

Just updating an update for anyone interested;

I removed the manifold and removed the swirl flaps , they where badly worn and one had broken free from it actuating leaver and was there no functioning . There was very little coking inside the manifold .I was not too difficult to remove or refit the manifold , and would do it again if needed .

Anyhow , removing these flaps have not cured my problem . Im not sure what to do next , I think I might remove the Turbo and give it back to the guy who rebuilt if at Christmas and get him to recheck his work , could it be my problem is the Turbo veins sticking

Charge pressure too low usually indicates a boost leak, have you done a basic boost leak test? If your take it to yout local indy, they should be able to check it with a smoke machine.

Last edited:
Hi, My ML 270 is down on boost, big time, it is throwing the M55 error code and will not rev past 3000 rpm. I replaced the fuel filter and mass air flow but to no avail. Both CATs were previously removed so I had to bite the bullet and tackle the intake manifold, with some concern given the posts I have read. I am now in the process of doing the air intake manifold on my W163 Ml270 CDI. I purchased a used good condition manifold and have fitted it. My query is the electrical wire going through the first split between the mainfold, the one on the front / radiator side. The electrical conduit that travels down this gap and then separates into 2 wires and 2 connectors beneath the manifold, one connector is attached to the water cooled alternator but my problem is the other wire, I cannot remember where I removed the other connector block from and I cannot locate anything in the area into which it plugs. Any help would be appreciated. All I have left to do is refit the thermostat and power steering resevoir. Add water and power steering fluid, then say a prayer that I have no water or diesel leaks...and obviously that the manifold / stepper motor is working. Any ideas on this wsire please ?.
By the way the manifold I bought was from an ML 270 and looked identical but I had problems sliding it in to place. The old one slipped in no problem but the replacement was a b***h to fit, but eventually popped into place. I took pictures as I went along but removed this connector without a photo. Hope somebody can help, Thank

ML 270 Intake Manifold ( W163 )

Hi, My ML 270 is down on boost, big time, it is throwing the M55 error code and will not rev past 3000 rpm. I replaced the fuel filter and mass air flow but to no avail. Both CATs were previously removed so I had to bite the bullet and tackle the intake manifold, with some concern given the posts I have read. I am now in the process of doing the air intake manifold on my W163 Ml270 CDI. I purchased a used good condition manifold and have fitted it. My query is the electrical wire going through the first split between the mainfold, the one on the front / radiator side. The electrical conduit that travels down this gap and then separates into 2 wires and 2 connectors beneath the manifold, one connector is attached to the water cooled alternator but my problem is the other wire, I cannot remember where I removed the other connector block from and I cannot locate anything in the area into which it plugs. Any help would be appreciated. All I have left to do is refit the thermostat and power steering resevoir. Add water and power steering fluid, then say a prayer that I have no water or diesel leaks...and obviously that the manifold / stepper motor is working. Any ideas on this wsire please ?.
By the way the manifold I bought was from an ML 270 and looked identical but I had problems sliding it in to place. The old one slipped in no problem but the replacement was a b***h to fit, but eventually popped into place. I took pictures as I went along but removed this connector without a photo. Hope somebody can help, Thank

Hello everyone. Excuse my English, I am Spanish. I have a ML 270 CDI (2005). He suffered a loss of power (he did not go above 2500 rpm) and when hot it was difficult to start. In your forum I have seen many ideas of what could cause it. I return to the topic in case it helps someone even:

1. We repair the turbo. He followed the loss of power.
2. We remove the intake wing nuts and clean the intake manifold. The loss of power continued.
3. We clean the EGR valve. The loss of power continued.
4. We checked the ducts of the vacuum valves (turbo and EGR) and solenoids. The loss of power continued.
5. We repaired the injection pump because it had a small leak
6. We replaced the MAF sensor. The loss of power continued although it improved for two days.

The car was still the same and I started to despair. The diagnostic machine was not throwing any error codes. Until one day, after a loss of power, at last, it returned the correct error code: CAMSHAFT SENSOR (it could have also been the crankshaft sensor, but in this case it was the camshaft) part reference : A0031539728.

Ten months to locate the fault. I hope it helps someone. Now it works very well, starts perfectly and there is no loss of power. I tried almost every possibility that causes that problem, until hopefully we came up with the solution

It was not a catalyst failure (it was the only thing I could check). I leave you a diagram so that you can locate it graphically

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla .png
    Captura de pantalla .png
    229.5 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom