ml 270 thermostat v mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gazz270

Car
2001 ml 270cdi
Evening guys,
the temp on my ml270 hasnt got above the mid mark between 40 and 80 on the temp gauge for a couple of weeks,so on saturday i replaced thermostat and now lovely and warm at slightly above 80.where i am working at the moment is a 120 round trip and i generally get 3 days from a tankfull before light comes on,as i got home this evening i noticed the fuel gauge is just above halfway normally it just above 3 quarters on day 2 so for some reason the fuel economy has improved when i changed the thermostat.i will be filling up tommorow evening and will be able to work out what mpg i am getting,normally about 28 mpg,has anyone else come across this or know of any reason why this would happen,

Cheers

Gareth

The engine burns fuel more efficiently when it's warm. It's a known benefit of replacing a wonky thermostat.

bladdy heck!

I bought the ML as it is widely quoted as delivering 30 combined and 35 on a run. I;ve just averaged 21 cold urban over 45 miles and I'm going to take her on a 500+ mile motorway trip now to Taunton, hoping to get north of 30mpg or I'll actually be really quite pis sed.

I really love the cars drive and comfort which will be tested properly on this trip, but if the fuel consumption is much poorer than 30 on a run, I'll have to think about something else next year. Damn it! is the 280CDI much better? I know how stupid it sounds, but I'd happily pay another 10k for the right car if it gave 35-40mpg (like the new RANGE ROVERS!!) I just hate seeing it single handedly depleting fossil fuels reserves at the same rate as a third world dictators band of warriors!

The 270 should give over 30mpg when it's up to temperature. Lots of short trips means the engine is spending a large proportion of its time running cold, which as you've seen hits fuel consumption.

Diesels take longer to get up to temperature than petrol engined vehicles because they're more efficient, so produce less waste heat to warm up the engine..

I managed 36 mpg in our ML270 whilst travelling from Birmingham to Colchester with cruise control set at 55 mph.

Generally 29-31 mpg when making progress on longer journeys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom