ML 300 Wallowing suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stagsfan

Car
2010 ML300
Hi all.
I have a 2009 ML300 with the coil spring suspension but it is really wallowy ?. I had my local MB indie have a look and they said that the suspension setup looked like genuine ML parts and couldnt find anything worn or broken. I have 18" wheels with 255/55/20 tyres and the distance between tyre and top of wheel arch is front - 11cm rear - 11cm.
so any help on this would be appreciated. Also has anybody tried the EIbach springs that lower the car by 35mm and are they any good.

What state are the Anti roll bar bushes in plus the drop links?

Thanks for your reply DSM 10000 i will ask the mechanic if he checked them, if not thats his next job.

Just to check. What tyre size are you running?

You mentioned 18" wheels but quoted 255/55/20 tyres..

The other thing to consider is your frame of reference. Really wallowy compared to what? A previous car? Now vs before on this one?

Hi, I take it there are no knocks or bangs?
When any of my mercs have felt wallowy the shock absorbers are my first fix, rears especially make the car feel horrible to drive when they are gone but all 4 replaced with new drop links is always better. My rule for shocks are if they are over 50,000 miles old and car is wallowing they are shot regardless of how they appear, still not happy then I'd look at upgrading springs then if still not happy it's anti roll bar upgrades

Hi all.
I have a 2009 ML300 with the coil spring suspension but it is really wallowy ?. I had my local MB indie have a look and they said that the suspension setup looked like genuine ML parts and couldnt find anything worn or broken. I have 18" wheels with 255/55/20 tyres and the distance between tyre and top of wheel arch is front - 11cm rear - 11cm.
so any help on this would be appreciated. Also has anybody tried the EIbach springs that lower the car by 35mm and are they any good.

Why lower a 4 x 4? Surely the whole point of a 4 x 4 is good ground clearance. Any lowering is going to screw up the designed in geometry. My advise would be to keep everything standard.

You say the front and rear clearance are the same?
I’ve just had new rear springs which have changed the geometry to give equal clearance front and rear and it’s horrible
Previously the rear had far more clearance so I’m getting them changed to go back to previous clearances
Strangely Mercedes list three different springs with different colour coding and when I’ve looked at standard spring options they differ by over 80mm which is roughly what my rear end has dropped by

You say the front and rear clearance are the same?
I’ve just had new rear springs which have changed the geometry to give equal clearance front and rear and it’s horrible
Previously the rear had far more clearance so I’m getting them changed to go back to previous clearances
Strangely Mercedes list three different springs with different colour coding and when I’ve looked at standard spring options they differ by over 80mm which is roughly what my rear end has dropped by
What was the colour coding on the original springs?

I don’t honestly know
I was going to run my vin through Mercedes and see if that gave any clues
If o manage to find out I will let you know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom