ML 320 CDI Buying Advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

Firstly, I love my W211 320 CDi and it will kill me to get rid of my Panoramic roof. :(
I digress, the thing is this; I really do need something bigger for the missus and children and am going to be entering the market for an ML320 CDi Sport in the new year and was looking for some advice, i.e. MPG, common faults, driving positions, boot space, any advice and general day-to-day things really.
I look forward to your thoughts.....:thumb:

Nice car, wont be as rapid or as good on fuel as the 211.

They are more practical and faults are not too many, same issues as any car with V6 CDi and 7g box. MPG, high 20's, low 30's. High 30's maybe possible but I'd wager its a 30mpg(ish) car.

Driving position, commanding.

I traded an E estate for the ML320 CDI over two years ago now. At first I wasn't sure that it was the right move, but now my wife will not think of being without it. Even when offered the use of my new CLS.
No car as large as the ML is ever going to be as economical as the smaller and lighter E class, (my wife sees 30mpg running into the city and I see 38mpg on a run) but that apart, there is very little that the ML does not do better. Passengers and dogs love it. Traction is great, but the ability to distance itself from the road and cruise in the manner of an ocean liner that sets it apart.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/67425-blue-ml-320-a.html

One word of advice is to find one with Airmatic. The increase in refinement, ride comfort and control of body movement turns a good car into a great one.
Ours was bought just 3 months old and saved me a packet. We are both quite attached to it now and I can't see it being replaced for quite some time yet.:)

s class 320cdi worst car for sale

hi sorry if thi is in wrong sectionwent to see a car 2003 320cdi class in sheffiels at a garage .and although the engine was good 110000 miles or thereabouts .asked seller for documents said he didnt have them .then i asked where the fsh was didnt have it.close inspection drivers side panels were rippled is that by being in an accident by the way..back quarter panel was 2 different shades of silver ..asked the salesman about these things and al he kept saying was i only know and can see what you knw and see ..the steering wheel had signs of the car doing over 200k --inside was even though cleaned up the grey leather was really dirty--was gutted as travelled 280 miles to see the car -.jus thought id shae that with you guys i am a new memeber .hi to all.looking around for a silver 2004 s class not a limo.with 18 inch alloys if anyone is selling one please email me please need a car as sold my car,x email is [email protected] thanks so much guys just needed to share that nightmare of a car being sold with you guys .

am going to be entering the market for an ML320 CDi Sport in the new year

It mat say 'Sport' in the title, but this is one of Mercedes best oxymorons:doh:
Right up there with 'Government organization' 'Exact estimate' 'Military intelligence' and 'Microsoft Works'
Great car though!:)

It mat say 'Sport' in the title, but this is one of Mercedes best oxymorons:doh:
Right up there with 'Government organization' 'Exact estimate' 'Military intelligence' and 'Microsoft Works'
Great car though!:)

A bit like a Range Rover 'Sport'. :rolleyes:
l say the sport version because they tend to come better equipped than the SE.
I was tempted to stretch the budget to a GL, but they are just too big for the wife.
Thanks for the advice and if there is anything else you think of, no matter how small, don't be afraid to let me know :thumb:

How does the ML compare to it's main rivals. LR Discovery or BMW X5?

I digress, the thing is this; I really do need something bigger for the missus and children and am going to be entering the market for an ML320 CDi Sport in the new year and was looking for some advice, i.e. MPG, common faults, driving positions, boot space, any advice and general day-to-day things really.
First thing to note is that it is not bigger than an E estate in the following ways: -
It is a good deal shorter
Less legroom in front but plenty for most people
It has a smaller load bay- but not by much.
Really it is about the same useable space but with more height.
Drives well and rides well
The so-called 'Sport' version especially on recent models has oversize wheels which reduce grip in the wet and offroad and give a harsher more jiggly ride than the SE.
The SE has leather (the Sport has man-made) and for equal budgets you can spec it up to better than the Sport which offers no more performance just some shiny pedals and bits of boy-pleasing trim.
Air suspension is excellent but a rare find in the second-hand market.
About 30mpg on a run if you keep the cruising speed down.

Firstly, I love my W211 320 CDi and it will kill me to get rid of my Panoramic roof. :(

Please save yourself a whole lot of heartache and pain, this will be a wallet emptying experience. I have been down this route and would never go there again the ML is by far one of the worst 4x4 vehicles on the road

ML and Sport should never be used in the same sentence it's a bit like political correctness, If it's political there's a real good chance it's not correct,same with Mercedes and ML if it's an ML there's a real good chance it's not sporty, worst car I ever owned. I tried a new one last year for SWMBO it was shocking.

If you are going the 4x4 route it has to be a Range Rover Sport or Discovery, but i'm not going back to that thread again :mad:

My advice for what it's worth stay well away from the ML ;)

Don’t discount the GL without proper consideration.
As Hawk mentions the ML is actually shorter than the E Class albeit a couple of inches wider.
The GL is the same width as the ML and about 8” longer than the E Class.
The GL appears vast because of its height, about an inch taller than the M , and rather boxy shape, whereas the ML has a tapering rear roof line.
I don’t know much about how prices of MLs and GLs compare but an important consideration is specification. The GL comes with Airmatic, Comand, full front seat electrical adjustment, Parktronic , low range, locking centre and rear diffs as standard.
Additionally it seems to be quite common for extras such as leather and bi xenon lights to have been specified. When I was looking around leather in particular seemed to be quite rare on MLs.
Also remember the GL has seven proper seats, the rear two are electrically powered and fold away into the floor at the touch of a button.
The load bay in the GL is 10” longer rear seats up and 12” longer rear seats folded than the ML.

Whilst I'm an MB fan, the ML320 was a shocking piece of crap. So many problems, big ones and little ones. At the end of the day, the build quality was rubbish... simple things like trim falling off to the more expensive ones like catalytic converters failing due to poor quality fabrication at low mileage. I'd avoid like the plague. Shame really, liked the look of the car.. which is why I bought one... but wouldn't again.

Whilst I'm an MB fan, the ML320 was a shocking piece of crap. So many problems, big ones and little ones. At the end of the day, the build quality was rubbish... simple things like trim falling off to the more expensive ones like catalytic converters failing due to poor quality fabrication at low mileage. I'd avoid like the plague. Shame really, liked the look of the car.. which is why I bought one... but wouldn't again.

Which one? 163 or 164? Need to be specific.

Please save yourself a whole lot of heartache and pain, this will be a wallet emptying experience. I have been down this route and would never go there again the ML is by far one of the worst 4x4 vehicles on the road

ML and Sport should never be used in the same sentence it's a bit like political correctness, If it's political there's a real good chance it's not correct,same with Mercedes and ML if it's an ML there's a real good chance it's not sporty, worst car I ever owned. I tried a new one last year for SWMBO it was shocking.

If you are going the 4x4 route it has to be a Range Rover Sport or Discovery, but i'm not going back to that thread again :mad:

My advice for what it's worth stay well away from the ML ;)
I go coursing from time-to-time, which to me is the true test of a 4x4. Besides the obligatory LR Defender, there is nothing on the market that I can trust to do the job and look good on the road, besides the ML :dk:.
I really don't see the point of the RR Sport 4x4 wise- either buy a Discovery or a RR, to me?
Thanks for all the advice, by the way :thumb:

I go coursing from time-to-time, which to me is the true test of a 4x4. Besides the obligatory LR Defender, there is nothing on the market that I can trust to do the job and look good on the road, besides the ML :dk:.
I really don't see the point of the RR Sport 4x4 wise- either buy a Discovery or a RR, to me?
Thanks for all the advice, by the way :thumb:

Best 4 x 4 for coursing and blinds the ML is the Toyota Land Cruiser IMHO It bridges the gap as it is great as a work vehicle and off road yet looks class on the road, The RR is not very good at the former but the Disco is.

My LC was a great car, we currently also have a Disco V8 which we use for all our Motorsport trips and work and that is awesome off road but doesn' carry the class on road but we did over 2500 miles to Germany and back in it and it never missed a beat and thats something an ML wont do

The main reason I would not by the RR is there is an unforgivable design flaw and that is you can see the spare wheel hung under the car which just ruins the lines from the back :(

Best 4 x 4 for coursing and blinds the ML is the Toyota Land Cruiser IMHO It bridges the gap as it is great as a work vehicle and off road yet looks class on the road, The RR is not very good at the former but the Disco is.

My LC was a great car, we currently also have a Disco V8 which we use for all our Motorsport trips and work and that is awesome off road but doesn' carry the class on road but we did over 2500 miles to Germany and back in it and it never missed a beat and thats something an ML wont do

The main reason I would not by the RR is there is an unforgivable design flaw and that is you can see the spare wheel hung under the car which just ruins the lines from the back :(
You are swinging me towards a Discovery...:doh:
I'm not keen on the Toyotas, too heavy on juice and not the best looking- internally or externally.
Is that the 2004+ V8 you have?

You are swinging me towards a Discovery...:doh:
I'm not keen on the Toyotas, too heavy on juice and not the best looking- internally or externally.
Is that the 2004+ V8 you have?

No it's a 1998 vintage but bombproof on the Germany trip it did an average of 24mpg and that was with a roof box and a very fast run on the last leg back to the ferry at Calais as we were running extremely late.

I agree the LC is heavy on juice with the LWB diesel not returning much more than the Disco V8 petrol, and I know which is the most fun to drive :D

TBH the 211 will serve your family just as well as the M class. Maybe not so easy to load little ones in and out.

An alternative might be an R class.

Those that have them, really seem to like them.

Have a look at Which and JD power and other surveys of many owners rather than being swayed by one or two who have had bad experiences. The Land Rover family regularly comes out the most unreliable load of ----**** you can buy. I had an ML for nearly two years and it was faultless. Lots of good reports on it in other threads BTW.

NISSAN PATROL.......great bit of kit and bullet proof and the UN seem to like them!!

Saying that I have found that ML's built after 2001/facelift are pretty OK, as they go, as long as they have been looked after, come with good service history and dont have numerous owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom