ml 320 cdi swirl flaps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davegee59

hiya lads can any body help me,my ml had loads of faults showing all on the air system showing both maf sensors gone down so i changed them and the fault turned out to be the swirl flaps,so i took it back to the trader that i bought it off and he had the plug took off from the swirl flaps and it now runs great but has no low level power and he's told me that it can be by passed by mapping it out,is this true or is he just fobbing me off,forgot to ask how much it would be to replace the swirl flaps is this a big job,theres oil on the wiring that looks like its leak from the turbo and he said thats what actually caused it and it's only just happened and not something thats been going for a long time as hes denying any responsibility and i gave him over 9000 cash for the car 6 weeks ago
atb
dave

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you can't map out the inlet port shut off motor, it needs to be replaced due to oil contamination.

No u can't map it out and to change inlet manifold would cost about £ 1000

google search== ALEX CROW suffolk top man ;) job done for pence

The swirl flaps are sat on plastic spindles in the intake manifold, as they get older the constant wear of plastic spindle on plastic hole wears and you get a gap, which is why the oil leaks down the block.
This is not something that happens over night, and from when it first starts leaking, to a point where you can go into limp mode, can be thousands and thousands of miles.
The oil is not from the turbo, it is from the flaps/manifold, it drips down onto the stepper motor (which opens/closes the flaps).

The ideal is to remove the manifold, remove all flaps and put bolts through the holes so it is airtight again. You can then put a 4.7k ohm resistor on the plug to trick it into think the stepper motor is still there.

You have pulled the cable off the stepper motor, it will be in limp mode, at least put a resistor on the plug.

I would speak to the dealer again as this has not happened over night.

gIzzE - you look like a man of taste ! An ML270 and a Weimaraner. Did you get him/her from the breeder in Cromer ? Lost our guy 4 years ago now and still gutted and think of him every day. Used to live in Thetford but now in sleepy Bury St Edmunds. Anyway, I digress - have you had experience of doing the oil cooler seals on your ML? Have a W164 but having a nightmare job of trying to remove the turbo as the 2x torx headed bolts have lost their definition through rust and access is rubbish to try and put a slot in and use a screwdriver. Just wondered if you might have any thoughts or tips how these might be removed ? Cheers in advance. Lee

Attachments

• IMG_3847.JPG
    IMG_3847.JPG
    299.3 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom