ML 320 vs 420

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rodgemx125

Car
ML270
Looking to ugrade my old 270 CDI, Looking at a 320 cdi and seen a couple of 420 cdi also in my budget (£10k). The 420 does have 150k on it though!

Anyone had or driven both?

When I was looking earlier in the year, 2007 320s were going for about £11k in good condition, with average mileage for the year.

At the same time, 430s with 140K miles on them were more like £15K, so that ruled them out for me.

Still wonder if I did the right thing in buying the 320, but it understeers quite enough thank you, I really don't want a bloody great V8 in the nose to make it worse...

I recon I could get similar performance to a 420 with some mild remapping, without any extra weight....

Maybe next year I'll try to find out...

I've owned an ML420 and driven a few ML320's and owned a couple of E-Class with the V6 CDi engine.

The 320 V6 (3.0 single turbo) CDI is ample enough, does lack a bit of puff at times shifting a 2.5T motor, but it won't be that lacking.

The 420 V8 (4.0 twin turbo) CDi suits the car perfectly; overtaking is a breeze and it can certainly hustle for an SUV.

Be warned though; don't try the 420 first, it will make the 320 seem really slow when it's not, it's just the 420 is so torquey that it makes most other diesels feel slow.

Got me thinking now!

Maybe splash out a few hundred on a remap (maybe a Cat delete too) and make my decision after that....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom