ML 63 needing a new engine @79K!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The FMBSH is pretty worthless if a new engine is fitted, think I would avoid as the car will have a bad history from this point on for resale purposes, but just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Lots and lots of watchers. I bet he's had a more than a few hopeful tossers making silly offers.

The 63 engine in the ML seems to have a 0% success rate, I’ve seen so many blown up ones on eBay/YouTube it’s crazy!

Its a real shame for the owner, you would have thought with it having a full dealer history there may have been some sort of amicable solution between MB and the owner. After all you would expect a car of such an ilk, if properly cared for and maintained should last considerably longer than it has.

Looks clean and with a FMBSH. Is this the dreaded head bolt issue which affects these engines?

2006 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG 6.3 7G-Tronic AMG | eBay
He's not saying why the engine failed... could be many things, an overlooked oil leak or cracked sump etc, or coolant loss... not everyone stops on the hard shoulder at the first sign of trouble, some will try and drive the car back home or to the garage etc.

I wonder how much someone like Acid would charge to fling in a recon engine or rebuild it.

I guess it depends how fooked it is.

£10k > £12k isn't bad punt money for that in good working order - if it is indeed as good as the seller claims.

Hi,
I went to see a 219 CLS63 AMG before buying my CLS55, it had done about 115,000 miles, it had receipts for in excess £17k for engine work, which I have somewhere, with the prices, 2 new heads four new cams and tappets one piston and con rod, the list went on.......
It had only covered approx. 20k miles since the re-build, the car was only up for £13k (3 and a half years ago this was stupidly cheap).
The parts for this engine are very stupidly expensive and I suspect there is a reason why he hasn't stated how the engine has failed, I could be wrong.
I don't think there would be many non gen engine parts available for this engine, so now way to make a rebuild any cheaper .

He's not saying why the engine failed... could be many things, an overlooked oil leak or cracked sump etc, or coolant loss... not everyone stops on the hard shoulder at the first sign of trouble, some will try and drive the car back home or to the garage etc.
Just like an acquaintance of mine did in his Bentley Mulsanne Turbo (mid 1980's model) , Driving in London phoned his son to report the temp gauge was going up, son told him 'dad , park the car and call the AA' . Dad knew best and continued on his journey. The rest is history.
Or at least the car is, beyond economical repair.

This goes back more than 30 years... a friend driving a brand new Fiat 131 skidded off a tight band on a narrow mountain road.

Car ended up resting on a rock with its two front wheels slightly off the ground.

The bloke raced the engine in gear back and forth trying to get the car off the rock and back on the road.

He of course ignored the plethora of warning lights on the dash, as unknowingly to him the impact with the rock cracked the oil pan and the engine dropped the oil into the ground.

The insurer paid only for the cost of a new oil sump, but not for the engine rebuild... they said that the engine damage was 'consequential damage' and therefore not covered.

Its a real shame for the owner, you would have thought with it having a full dealer history there may have been some sort of amicable solution between MB and the owner. After all you would expect a car of such an ilk, if properly cared for and maintained should last considerably longer than it has.
Although I’m not one to defend Mercedes and their usual standard of generally poor aftercare, there are two elephants in the room:

1. It’s 12 year old.

2. It says full Mercedes history but that is open to a massive amount of interpretation - was it serviced to schedule? How big are the gaps between servicing? Have the just done oil changes at the dealer? Etc etc

Lots and lots of watchers. I bet he's had a more than a few hopeful tossers making silly offers.
Trying to get £8k for a vehicle that needs (at least!) £5k spending on it just to get it running to then end up with a vehicle worth less than your total outlay will never be an easy sell...!

Although I’m not one to defend Mercedes and their usual standard of generally poor aftercare, there are two elephants in the room:

1. It’s 12 year old.

2. It says full Mercedes history but that is open to a massive amount of interpretation - was it serviced to schedule? How big are the gaps between servicing? Have the just done oil changes at the dealer? Etc etc

Also:

Was the 2006 paper service book stamped using dealer stamps bought off eBay...........? ;)

Also:

Was the 2006 paper service book stamped using dealer stamps bought off eBay...........? ;)
It’s very rare, in this day and age, to find any 12 year old vehicle that has genuinely full Mercedes service history - most have three/four years at best.

I find it very hard to believe that you could get an AMG V8 removed, rebuilt, refitted etc for 5k. Plus no way to test whether other big ticket stuff like the gearbox is working ok without it running.

TBH I don't really get the appeal of an engine like that in a lumbering 4x4 (unless a G wagen but that's different!) - it's just going to gorge through petrol at a terrifying rate but not be particularly satisfying to drive? Pass!

Last edited:
The thing is plenty of Ford's and the likes managed to get to 80k without proper servicing and needing a engine rebuild, i still think the m156 is a problem engine, a Master piece when working though lol

I’d suggest he broke it for spares. No matter how nice it is, it’s absolutely worthless now. Harsh but true.

Does look in lovely order, but I think the seller is letting his heart rule his head.

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk Pro

I want to know who the ‘reputable firm’ is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom