ML - Airbags and Little People

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
Now that we have sold the CE220, we are thinking about an ML...she wants 320, I'm after a 500, but that's another argument...

Why ?

Because my C250 is the commuter wagon (Herts - London), and she needs something BIG for the next little one (in 5 months, but will take that long to get used to it !!).

My concern is the passenger airbag....Can this be disabled, and if so how, and from what year / model ?

Also if anyone has / knows about one for sale, under £20k, please let me know.....

Where is Ozie?, he will help you.....

The front passenger airbag cannot be disabled in the W163 ML! Besides, if you disabled the one in the dash board, there is still one in the door!
Also, kids under the age of 12 (from memory, you might want to check this for yourself) HAVE TO be seated in the back seat for above reasons!
MB will wash their hands of any resposibility if your young one(s) are injured/killed in an accident and they were in the front seat!
Harsh truth, but a truth none-the-less!

Geez, that was a rather dreary first post! :p

Hmmm might have to re-think - thanks all....

Trying not to defect to X5 or Grand Cherokee...

Originally posted by WLeg
Trying not to defect to X5 or Grand Cherokee...

Can't understand why there is this misconception that little people need big cars to carry them around in!! :confused:

You do need lots of space to carry all the stuff that goes with them . . . but is 4WD REALLY necessary ?

Why not get a W210 estate . . . they have plenty of room - and the airbags can be disabled . . plenty around for the price you are looking for . . u could get a very nice one, in fact !

S.

A guy here at work asked me about buying an ML. I guided him to a 270CDI.

When I questioned him about the 'need' for the ML over something like an E Estate, he mentioned that the ML is available with 7 seats from factory. He understood that the E Estate was not available in that configuration, so it was not an option.

Personally I think that the 4x4 thing is a load of bollocks. If it doesn't see dirt, don't buy one! Generally speaking, they are not as safe as road cars.

I reckon the size thing is mostly a myth too. Anyone see the legroom in an ML lately? As a 6 footer I find the front passenger legwell nigh on useless! Cargo area can't be much bigger than an E estate.....

If your going to do it , you might as well be the daddy :)

I drove this one last week :) I WANT IT !!!!

h2.jpg

If its going to see dirt, nothing beats a bog standard Land Rover, lots of fun, easy to maintain and room for a whole crew

must be me, I've never seen the point of a huge 4 wheel drive when the dirtiest the car gets is driving to the bloody supermarket.

There was talk of banning the damned things from towns - sounds like a good idea to me :)

As Ian says, if you want off road ability then a battered old Land Rover is the answer.

Having owned an ML, I must say that they are quite roomy!
I've had friends up to 6' 2" in my car (in front and back) and none complained about lack of head or leg room :)
Why did I buy one :confused: Well I always wanted a NEW Mercedes Benz, and after driving all the C180, C200, C220, none of them did it for me. I also wanted (at least) a V6. When I drove the ML320, I thought it was great, so I bought one! :D

I have since sold it and bought a locally made car with a V8 and 350hp ;) :cool:

You must all be city boys then. I live in a little village, we get flooded in, occasionaly snowed in, blah blah, and we have high hedges around the lanes, where a nice 4x4 gives you the extra elevation to see more of the road ahead.

2 years ago I had an Overfinch Range Rover 570. I spent alot of time at weekends pulling neighbours out when the road flooded, clearing fallen trees (and yes, I had 2 set of tyres), etc.

We (she) already has a 9 year old, and whilst the next one will be tiny...( 20 week scan later today, BTW), all the baby stuff, means you need a big car, ideally 7 seater, as with friends, school runs etc, it comes in handy. As for the E Class, 5 series, Volvo, etc estates, they would serve the purpose in a town, but not in Herts (see rant above).

You also get less of a bump when you run over the squirrels.

And It's her who wants one ( I just have to pay for it !!)

Rant over.

Fuzzer - bet you don't want the fuel bill that comes with the H2.......

Last edited:
2 years ago I had an Overfinch Range Rover 570.

Respect! Impressive choice.

You certainly do have a valid reason for buying the ML then. My problem is with the 'soccer mums'.

Off road tires, big nudge bars, no guilt and a clean conscience works for me.

Great car, pity about the MPG - about 9 locally, or 13 on a run....but scary fast for it's size.

Great car, pity about the MPG - about 9 locally, or 13 on a run....but scary fast for it's size.

daaaaaaamnfriday-G%5Bh%5DEttOrAiD.jpg

Originally posted by WLeg
Fuzzer - bet you don't want the fuel bill that comes with the H2.......

Its not too bad actually. Its got s 32 gallon fuel tank which means its got a range of about 300 ish miles if you take it easy. Ohh baby , i floored it and we were both thrown back into our seats with a ROOOOOOAR. It might be big , but , the 6.0 V8 is pretty powerful and best thing is ... you don't notice the potholes. We drove over a few to make sure it wasnt a fluke. :D :bannana:

That one i drove was stateside , the yard was full of them . Like 50+ H1's and H2's.

Your right , great machines and if i could afford the fuel bill it would be worth it :)

Bet it doesnt cost more than 3K to stick it into a container and ship it over.

Best to buy a used one tho ;) Less tax when it gets here.:)

To add my two penny-worth......:D

Don't put the baby in the front! Our son is 4 months old now and has never been in the front of a car......

He went in the back of the ML when he was born and after enquiring about the front airbags got the same reply - it can't be done.

Since then we've bought the 320 and when the same question was asked we've now got curtain airbags, explosive seatbelt mountings etc to deal with, so no go there either. I think you'd definately find the same thing with an X5 and almost certainly with a Cherokee?

We decided as he would be in the back for many years to come then he could start there too! ....never had any problems yet and IMHO the front seat is actually more dangerous 'cos when our daughter was born my wife had her in the front of the Polo and was constantly looking over and 'adjusting things' while she was driving.........

HTH

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom