ML Audio install.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ML-Simon

Car
ML 270 cdi
I am upgrading the speakers in my ML (2003). So I have my speakers and I am looking at also adding an AMP to drive the speakers. So this then leaves a few question:
I would like to put AMP behind the glove box, is there space?
If not where would you fit it?
I am thinking of using an adapter between the amp and the current loom so I don't need to run new cables into the door. Has any one else done this?

Thanks
Simon

I am upgrading the speakers in my ML (2003). So I have my speakers and I am looking at also adding an AMP to drive the speakers. So this then leaves a few question:
I would like to put AMP behind the glove box, is there space?
If not where would you fit it?
I am thinking of using an adapter between the amp and the current loom so I don't need to run new cables into the door. Has any one else done this?

Thanks
Simon

I would put the amp where it can cool. I dont think there is enough space or cooling behind the glovebox.

If you really want to make a significant difference to the sound, I would suggest dynamatting the doors whilst you have the door covers off. This is relatively inexpensive to do.

Good tip about dynamatting, and cooling. Just don't what the cable runs to be to long...

Under the passenger seat. Providing you're not running something huge. Lots of the new class d amps run quite cool these days. A good car audio place could point out a few amps with built in fans Sewell. Almost all amps have thermal cut out on them as well. All of that said, as long as you're not running huge power any amp will have sufficient ventilation under the front seats in an ml.

Thanks V12.
The only problem is under the drivers seat there are two boxes. One I think is to do with moving the seat the other I don't know. Under the passenger seat will be the sub. But going to a car hifi shop would be a good move...

Isn't one a safe that no one ever uses? I'm sure you'll have no problems getting your priorities straight! :D

Rockford fosgate do a nice 500 rms amp thats small in size and you can use a high input or rca's, halfords do a converter from your standard speaker cables to rca aswell if needed

Passive hi level adapters are generally rubbish and quite often bring noise into the system. A seperate active converter isn't ideal for the space conscious. Some of the amps around seem to have a reasonable hi level input section, but I can't comment from experience, just what I've read on other forums.

Its the RCA cables that I don't want too long. On some of my old cars there has been interference from this and I think earth problems? I will have a look around the car this weekend and let you know if I find any space or any ECU's that are not needed ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom