ML Boot, vibrating when ever I go over rough road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dokalj

MB Enthusiast
Hi all,

I hope everyone is well.

I noticed today with the seats out the boot vibrates a lot when I go over the slightest bump.

I loaded the car up on the return journey, so there was more weight and the vibrations were a little less.

Firstly could there be a faulty catch on the boot?

Secondly could this be related to a problem in the rear suspension?

Any ideas?

Regards

dokalj

Okay will do,

I did have the car up the other month and the springs looked okay.

I hope I missed something on them.

The problem has been there for a while, at first I thought it was the loose boot trim. I changed it and put new clips.

Could it be the springs are not sitting right or could they be damaged at the ends? Or am I looking for an obvious broken spring?

dokalj

When I bought my ML of the last owner, I noticed he'd fitted 'DIY' foam around the catch area and to the sides of the rear door. Wonder if he'd had the same problem?

hmmm get some one to drive while u check in the rear to confirm exactly what's vibrating?
Maybe jus the fella u threw in the boot trying to claw his way out
MB springs usually go at the same point ( 3 w211 springs later lol) and sometimes can take a good hard look with a good lamp to see the break. Rust is a tell tale sign.
I'm sure someone more experienced will be along to give you some better advice soon.
Hope u get sorted!

When I bought my ML of the last owner, I noticed he'd fitted 'DIY' foam around the catch area and to the sides of the rear door. Wonder if he'd had the same problem?

I was only thinking, can I put some insulation there to diffuse the vibrations.

Did you remove the insulation?

Once the car was stationary I pushed the boot with my hand at the bottom and noticed a bit of movement. There is more movement compared to our other car, although it is not a Mercedes.

How much movement do other ML owners experience if they push their boots in by hand?

dokalj

hmmm get some one to drive while u check in the rear to confirm exactly what's vibrating?
Maybe jus the fella u threw in the boot trying to claw his way out
MB springs usually go at the same point ( 3 w211 springs later lol) and sometimes can take a good hard look with a good lamp to see the break. Rust is a tell tale sign.
I'm sure someone more experienced will be along to give you some better advice soon.
Hope u get sorted!

Thanks, the ML is on 95,000.

I have recently changed the outer ARB link rods on the rear and all the front ARB's.

Or it maybe the guy I threw into the back lol :D

Ive left the foam in mate, had a feeling they were there for a reason so left them. I forgot to add, ive recently resprayed the spare wheel cradle and when I first removed it, found a small pice of foam in between the spare tyre and the cradle, maybe it was moving/causing vibration? It to I left when I put spare tyre back.

Ive left the foam in mate, had a feeling they were there for a reason so left them. I forgot to add, ive recently resprayed the spare wheel cradle and when I first removed it, found a small pice of foam in between the spare tyre and the cradle, maybe it was moving/causing vibration? It to I left when I put spare tyre back.

I will have a look, thanks for the advice. :thumb:

Could the lock have become faulty?

Is there any way to adjust it or do I have to purchase a new one?

Regards

dokalj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom