ML-Class aces NHTSA impact tests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieter

Car
2009 Jaguar XF 3.0D 'S'
Hi all,

The NHTSA has awarded the ML-Class five stars in both front and side impact tests for both the front and rear passengers :D .

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000883061868/

also links to crash test videos :eek: .

Cheers,

Dieter said:
Hi all,

The NHTSA has awarded the ML-Class five stars in both front and side impact tests for both the front and rear passengers :D .

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000883061868/

also links to crash test videos :eek: .

Cheers,

Excellent post Dieter. Combined with the earlier one about fuel economy those who moaned about the use of 4x4's have had the arguments wiped away.

:D But what about pedestrian survivability, are those figures equally as good?

John

glojo said:
:D But what about pedestrian survivability, are those figures equally as good?

John

Probably better than those figures where pedestrians are hit by Transits and lorries etc. ;)

Hi,

No figures on that and given recent news furore (health warnings etc. on last Friday's tv news) it is interesting to note that whilst 4 x 4 sales/use has more than doubled in recent years pedestrian deaths are falling i.e. if they (4 x 4's) are decimating the pedestrian population the figures do NOT bear this out.

Quote "According to the DfT's latest figures, said the SMMT, pedestrian deaths in the UK fell from 1,038 in 1995 to 671 in the UK last year, a drop of 35 per cent. In the same period, sales of 4x4s / SUVs more than doubled from 80,427 to 179,439 units."

In todays drive and survive environment (Quote from Brunstrom follows: “The roads have become a very lawless environment.” :eek: ) more and more people are buying vehicles which protect them and theirs (as I've typed before it's a 'defensive' reaction imho). Perhaps this is a selfish attitude but this attitude is prevalent in many aspects of modern life.

Also if pedestrians were more road aware (and parents took more responsibility for their children especially) then, hopefully, there would be far less pedestrian casualities be it by bike, car, 4 x 4 or bus etc. etc.

Any pedestrian death is a tragedy but, unfortunately, the only 100% safe vehicle is a stationary one (and even then someone will drive into it :eek: )

Cheers,

Dieter said:
Hi,

No figures on that and given recent news furore (health warnings etc. on last Friday's tv news) it is interesting to note that whilst 4 x 4 sales/use has more than doubled in recent years pedestrian deaths are falling i.e. if they (4 x 4's) are decimating the pedestrian population the figures do NOT bear this out.

Quote "According to the DfT's latest figures, said the SMMT, pedestrian deaths in the UK fell from 1,038 in 1995 to 671 in the UK last year, a drop of 35 per cent. In the same period, sales of 4x4s / SUVs more than doubled from 80,427 to 179,439 units."

In todays drive and survive environment (Quote from Brunstrom follows: “The roads have become a very lawless environment.” :eek: ) more and more people are buying vehicles which protect them and theirs (as I've typed before it's a 'defensive' reaction imho). Perhaps this is a selfish attitude but this attitude is prevalent in many aspects of modern life.

Also if pedestrians were more road aware (and parents took more responsibility for their children especially) then, hopefully, there would be far less pedestrian casualities be it by bike, car, 4 x 4 or bus etc. etc.

Any pedestrian death is a tragedy but, unfortunately, the only 100% safe vehicle is a stationary one (and even then someone will drive into it :eek: )

Cheers,

A sound and well reasoned argument. Well done.

I thought road deaths were starting to rise?

Sadly the great majority of pedestrian accidents are the fault of the pedestrian, be it a lack of awareness, or a total lack of understanding of the highway code.

Incidentally are we aware that we should give way to pedestrians when we are turning off a major road into a minor one? (A major cause of accidents)

**Probably better than those figures where pedestrians are hit by Transits and lorries etc.**

I am not anti 4 x 4 and I really like the looks of some, but this is not a valid response and we need a better reply. Vans and lorries are used for the purpose they are designed for!

If we buy a 4 x 4 because we feel they are the safest vehicle for our family, then that is understandable, hence the huge increase in sales of armoured cars.

If we are really concerned about the safety of our nearest and dearest, then the money would be far, far better invested in driving courses. ;) The day we pass our test is the day we start to pick up bad habits. An advanced driving course will teach defensive driving, forward observation and anticipation!!! Oh and it might, just might help sooth away any pent up road rage :D

Regards,
John

glojo said:

I am not anti 4 x 4 and I really like the looks of some, but this is not a valid response and we need a better reply. Vans and lorries are used for the purpose they are designed for!

John

I have to take issue here John as most transits and the like are driven around barely full of goods, by nutters with little or no regard to anyone else be they pedestrians or other motorists. Just this morning I took delivery of a a new system which arrived on a huge lorry which had my system on it and two PC's. A huge waste of resources and another dangerous vehicle on the road unnecessarily.

Also the definition of the purpose they were intended for is a loose one. The purpose I bought a 4x4 was for the safe transportation of my family. I defy anyone to show me where the intended purpose of any vehicle is clearly laid down in stone by an unequivocal authority!

Alfie said:
I have to take issue here John as most transits and the like are driven around barely full of goods, by nutters with little or no regard to anyone else be they pedestrians or other motorists.

:D ;) Not like the owners of Sprinters. ;)

As you know I'm a great believer in freedom of choice and NO ONE needs to justify why they buy a particular type of vehicle. Some folks allegedly even buy Lexus :eek: ;)

John

Dieter said:
I do not believe that there was ever an issue with passenger safety in the 163 ML was there? The ML's interior was designed for USA safety which included provision for those that choose not to wear seatbelts - the "cheap" plastics of the cockpit were actually there to cushion unrestrained occupants.

The downfall of any high ground-clearance vehicle is pedestrian safety, unless the bumper is down at knee-height the safety of SUVs etc will always be worse for pedestrians than that of regular saloon cars etc.

Hi John,

This appears to be a 3-way debate but in regards to most modern 4 x 4's currently their main purpose IMHO is as a Luxury on-road flexible vehicle.

e.g. Lexus RX400h:eek: (but excellent technology) is hardly an off-roader nor is X5 or XC90 and if you want off-road ability in new ML you have to pay extra (for off-road suspension etc.). Only Range Rover has stayed true to it's original on/off road principles. Also I can't understand why MPV's aren't 'lumped' in with 4 x 4's. It seems MPV's (which are less stable than most modern 4 x 4's are 'OK'), which to me, is odd :crazy:

It behoves all of us (transit van drivers included) to drive as safely as possible.

Cheers,

Dieter said:
Also I can't understand why MPV's aren't 'lumped' in with 4 x 4's. It seems MPV's (which are less stable than most modern 4 x 4's are 'OK'), which to me, is odd :crazy:

It behoves all of us (transit van drivers included) to drive as safely as possible.

Cheers,

I'm not sure about that. Most MPVs are based on car chassis (Sharan/Galaxy based on Passat, Espace based on Laguna, etc.), with the engine set almost as low as cars, and with car-like suspension travel, and have similar handling to cars as a result.

4x4s (mostly) have a higher centre of gravity due to the body and engine being higher, and this together with their longer travel suspension (necessary for off-road use) makes them less stable in a high-speed emergency type situation.

I seem to recall that Richard Branson used to run a fleet of Range Rovers but got rid of them after his family had a high speed stability scare in one.

But still, as you rightly point out Dieter, we should all drive safely within the capacity of whatever we are driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom