ML is now a 3x3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meldrew2

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport (Red) Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (Black) Sorry about that...
It seems that my ML is to be an ex-ML.

Old chap in a Mini this morning managed to knock the front NS wheel clean off the car and shunt the car a couple of feet back, until it was stopped by my BMW.

So we have damage to NS front wing, paint on doors and damage to NS rear wing, plus whatever damage has been done to the wheel bearing, suspension etc. Also the wheel & tyre have had it.

On the bright side, he is not badly hurt - so the airbags did the job, and his dog which was unrestrained in the car also appears to be OK - so it's just metal that has suffered.

The thing is - the car is 12 years old, although low mileage (under 50,000), owned by me from new and has had a bit of money spent on new alloy wheels, replacement headlights (because they were milky), paintwork (fixing corrosion) and a bit more, so the car is worth more - to me - than one of average condition with average mileage.

No doubt it will be written off, so two questions...

1. Any tips on negotiating the best write-off figure ? (I've already bought a replacement car so that my OH is kept mobile)

2. Can I retain (and sell) the personalised plate ? And if anyone is interested in ML ** AMG let me know... because it would look silly on the replacement car which is neither an ML nor an AMG...

That's a bugger and no mistake.
As per you have the right outlook regardless of how dire. Metal can be easily fixed or replaced.
Flesh and bone....human or canine is more difficult and at times impossible. .

Yeah, as above. I would think that there must be some way to retain the number plate, I'm sure your's isn't the first car with a private plate to be written off, if that's what will take place. I guess to reject the offer the insurers make giving your reasons and expectations due to the car's condition is the only leverage you have regarding the settlement figure. The best of luck with it all anyway.

Re the number plate, as long as the car has a valid MOT you can transfer it I think.

Glad no-one, human or canine, was hurt btw.

I've been able to retain the number plate - so that's one thing sorted...

Sorry to hear the news, but cars can be replaced. What's taking it's place?

The highest price you can negotiate is by showing the insurer Autotrader adverts for similar 12 years old ML AMG with £50k miles and one owner on private sale (or as near to that as you can get).

The rationale is that this is the money you will need to buy an identical car.

If you have written proof they will give in (though still a bit under the typical asking price...)

They will try to give you the Px price, which is nonsense because you can't buy a similar car at that price.

And don't be tempted to show them dealer adverts, because this will be betterment - a delear's car will come serviced and with a warranty.

Stick to private sale adverts on Autotrader and they won't be able to refuse.

Sorry to hear the news, but cars can be replaced. What's taking it's place?
Collecting a BMW X1 this afternoon. My beloved (who was using the ML) has been casting her eyes over my X1 and wanting to "have a go in it" so it was the obvious solution. I took great care to choose an X1 that is slightly older than mine, slightly higher mileage, slightly smaller engine and slightly lower trim level.... LOL

The highest price you can negotiate is by showing the insurer Autotrader adverts for similar 12 years old ML AMG with £50k miles and one owner on private sale (or as near to that as you can get).
I've found an autotrader advert - the car is a year older -54 reg compared to my 55 reg (so wouldn't suit my personalised plate which is 05) and does not have bluetooth handsfree and DAB radio - so I will use that as a starting point and try to negotiate upwards.

First update.

The 3rd party's insurer have not yet inspected the car. Bodyshop have quoted £5K+ to repair, so a write-off is looking more likely. It will have to be a good offer though, otherwise the (repaired) ML will find a place as a "pool" car at my business.

My X1 - which the ML was pushed into - and I thought had just suffered paint chips on bumper is in fact to have new bumper and mountings. Bumper is 1.5mm out of alignment at one end, and cracked behind number plate mounting.

I'll let the insurers take their time - GF happy with her new X1 so all's well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom