ML loss of control in wet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many main dealers of prestige marques will put the cheapest tyres that meet the speed and load criteria on their used cars stock. I have a feeling the minimum recommended tread depth criteria to be met on the Mercedes manufacturer recommended used stock PDI used to be 4mm at one time Faced with that fairly easily checked criteria the simplest thing for dealers to do is to slap some cheap and cheerful new boots on their used stock and everyone is happy. The majority of used car punters are blissfully unaware of tyre technology and if all those PDI boxes are ticked and its got new tyres -----???:dk:

Last edited:
I can also confirm that Accelera's are awful in damp/wet conditions.
I had them on my E320 CDI and traction in damp conditions was almost non-existent, and front end grip would disappear without warning and at very low speeds.
I replaced them with Pirelli P7's and I finally started to enjoy the car.

What you have in the Acceleras is the famous "Summer Tyre"....

This is an expression unfamiliar to UK drivers until the tide of unknown-name imports started recently.

Basically Summer Tyres are designed for long life and cheapness. You might get some other benefits like smooth ride or low noise, but only by accident... Tyres labeled "winter" are just ultra-soft rubber and have their own problems in the dry.

In the UK we are used to all-season tyres that have a balance of properties as you would expect a usable tyre to have. Because tyres have become so expensive, cash-strapped drivers have been drawn towards these (normally Far-Eastern) manufacturers and generally are happy with the saving until they are sliding towards the car in front one wet morning...

My gut feel is the Acceleras are the root of your problem, but there may be others, Geometry, Transfer Box fault etc. Do the cheap stuff first. Get a tracking check and treat yourself to a decent set of Goodyear, Michelin or Dunlops finest for the sake of your bodywork or even your life expectancy.

Last edited:
I recall running my old S class on Accelera over 40k miles about 5 years ago with no issues.
I was unsure at first and posted on here, I was reassured by some forum members including one of the car dealers or mechanics (I forget who).

Over 40k miles I must have put the car through most normal driving conditions and had no issues - I must admit the wear rate was more than satisfactory. I'm sure we had snow in 2010.

I always go for Toyo Proxes on any 4x4 I own, they are brilliant; the tread lasts, pretty quiet and good grip.

I'd highly recommend them to anyone.

As an update I spoke to MB customer services and they confirmed there are no approved lists of manufacturers indeed no stipulation for anything other than speed rating must match the vehicle and if less than 3mm remaining then they should be replaced, nothing more.

The nice lady there did tell me that she had never heard of the brand but that wasn't surprising but she did 'unofficially' admit that in all likelihood most MB dealers would fit 'cheaper' tyres rather than main brand names but said I would have to take it up with the dealership directly if I wanted to pursue it (which of course there is absolutely no point in doing some 9 months later!)

Anyway managed to get a deal on two Pirellis for £340 fitted this Saturday so as said by others hopefully all further risk to my health and the MLs bodywork should diminish from that point forward!

no stipulation for anything other than speed rating must match the vehicle and if less than 3mm remaining then they should be replaced, nothing more.

Most used dealers just fit the cheapest tyres available to keep their profit as high as possible.

I always thought new tyre had to fitted to the rear and never to the front, or is that an old wives thingy.

I always thought new tyre had to fitted to the rear and never to the front, or is that an old wives thingy.

It is advisable on some front wheel drive small cars to do this.
Basically the rear tyres take so long to wear that they usually perish and crack before you actually use the tread up. Put the rears on the front to use the tread and then fit new to the rear is usually how it goes.

Big heavy mercs don't have this problem, especially ML's as they eat tyre tread long before the rubber gets old!

All things being equal this is absolutely true. All the tyre manufacturers will state this and the reasoning is basically sound:

Most people (non-enthusiasts) deal with a car sliding by panicking a little and hitting the brakes. If you do this with an understeering car then the results are generally okay as the car usually comes back under control as the front tucks back in due to weight transfer and reduced speed, but if you do this with an oversteering car then the result is a spin (due to even less grip being available at the back due again to weight transfer) and a visit to the barriers or whatever else might be in the way. Therefore you want the grippiest/best tyres on the rear to prevent oversteer.

Of course this is all very 'ideal world' scenario, but by and large it holds up to scrutiny!

All things being equal this is absolutely true. All the tyre manufacturers will state this and the reasoning is basically sound

The tyre companies may say it but Mercedes don't. Mercedes have in the past stated the best tyres have to be on the front as modern elctronic stability programs require front wheel grip in order to work at their best. They claim all the tyre companies advice came before modern cars were fitted with ESP etc.

Russ

I always put new tyres on the back...never had an issue with doing it that way.

I recall running my old S class on Accelera over 40k miles about 5 years ago with no issues.
I was unsure at first and posted on here, I was reassured by some forum members including one of the car dealers or mechanics (I forget who).

Over 40k miles I must have put the car through most normal driving conditions and had no issues - I must admit the wear rate was more than satisfactory. I'm sure we had snow in 2010.

My take on a long tyre life/low wear rate, is the tyre compound is hard and thus gives less grip.

I have a very understeery front in the wet on my Jeep. Nowhere near as clever as an ML of course, but the front is fine in the dry. Rear is about normal difference between wet and dry. Front tyres are different to rear. Using four wheel drive helps but only a bit. I may try swapping them around. I'll be getting new boots all round before winter and they'll all be the same make and model.
For me, tyres are the one area where there should never be any compromise. Brakes, steering, response in emergency, all depend on them.

My take on a long tyre life/low wear rate, is the tyre compound is hard and thus gives less grip.

Or, maybe, I'm such a good driver that my tyres don't wear hard under my feather-light touch?

(More likely due to 90% motorway driving)

The tyre companies may say it but Mercedes don't. Mercedes have in the past stated the best tyres have to be on the front as modern elctronic stability programs require front wheel grip in order to work at their best. They claim all the tyre companies advice came before modern cars were fitted with ESP etc.

Russ

Hence the 'all things being equal' bit of my comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom