ml not new shape dog/luggage guard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattml500

Car
c220cdi coupe evo/panoramic
hi all
this is a funny one ,i have just px my ml500 as you know and stripped it of all the things i could sell on ebay one of which was a dog guard or net thingy i never used it and it was always in the wrapper as it came with the car .a man has bought it(paid to much there was loads cheaper ???) i delivered it and he said it dont fit has any ml drivers got one if so can they measure the length of the top bar that fits in the roof .the man wants to send it back i dont know if hes just a mooron that cant fit it or has realised that he paid to much or it dont fit :) and its me
thanks in advance

I have one, but it's in the loft. Will get the ladders out this weekend if you don't mind waiting a day or so?

thats great
i can wait .i have told him to measure the one i sent him and hopefully they will be the same and hes got it wrong mine looks exactly like all the ml ones on ebay so im surprised it dont fit . the problem is i dont have the car anymore or the guard
thanks

He's trying it on. They're all identical - ours is the same.

Did he want it for separating a dog from the cabin?

If so, I bet he's realised MB do a proper dog guard and wants his money back for that. Really the luggage net is best only for luggage - not much good for dogs.

this was the email from him he doesn't say what length it is but i have asked him

please e-mail your address so i can send back the cargo net. i have checked with mercedes and there is only one type for all ML mercs unless it is the new type ie 2005 onwards
The one you have sent me is just too narrow at the top it must be at least 10cms too short
sorry adam

Your advert clearly states that he should check suitability and no refunds given.

I would say this one of two possibilities:

1. User error - upside down or such like.

2. Changed his mind.

If he has a W163, then it will fit.

The W163 has two types of dog net.

The early model 1998-2001 the net at the top is wider, the face lift 2001-2005 is narrower.

When I had my W163 I bought the wrong one from ebay.

Oops. :rolleyes:

:D

That surprises me - I wonder why they'd change such a trival aspect of the design part way through?

Actually, now I come to think of it, it doesn't surprise me!! :D

Sounds like the thing to do is to check if he has pre- or post- facelift.

I have a pre-face lift dog net in the garage, if he wants to pay me over the odds for it.

Right, I've just checked EPC and it looks like the part numbers are as follows

A 163 860 0074 - up to ident no 811

A 163 860 0174 - as of ident no 820

EPC shows the roller cover is a different shape, but the luggage net appears to be identical based upon the diagram. :confused:

wobbly you could be right this was the first email

recieved dog guard it does not fit my ML270 CDI 2000 X are you sure this is out of a ML series
the problem is that it to narrow at the top
please E-mail or pnone

2000 X reg, pre face lift, I think yours was a 2002 52 reg, it wont fit, I can go and measure my old one in the garage if it helps.

Just measured it, at its widest, at the top, it measures approx 120cm.

Sounds like he has a valid case then. I'm still baffled at how it can be so much shorter though as the width of the roof must surely be the same.

On the facelift car - which based upon the description above is the longer of the two - it fits in the roof rails in the same way that the grab handles do.

Not sure where else they could fit to be 10cm longer as this would suggest the roof must be wider on a pre-facelift model.

Maybe wobby can shed some light on how it fits in the pre-facelift cars.

Just measured the post facelift, and at it's widest it's 130cm, which is 10cm longer than wobbly's prefacelift.

Didn't he say that the one you sold him was 10cm too short though??

Is that the measurement at the top of the net? Not the widest part of the net, in the middle, if you see what I mean.

Mine is still in it's original packaging so I didn't open it. It's the measurement between the black plastic caps at the longest point (when rolled up). I assumed it was the fixing mechanism that clips into the top rail near the roof.

Sorry Bobby mine at its widest point is 130cm,the same as yours. Its the measurment at the top where it fixes into the grab rails that is different, yours will be about 110cm.

Ahh, I see.

Unfortunately we're up early in the morning to go on holiday, and I still have to clean the whole downstairs, else I'd venture back to the garage to open and measure in the interests of science.

Mrs D will kill me though if it's not spotless. Why is it that the fairer sex insist on the house being clinically clean whilst on holiday?? :rolleyes: :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom