ML squealing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dokalj

MB Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I have noticed when the ML270 CDI is running i.e. in park and I am outside the car, I can hear a squealing noise from the front of the car.

Could it possibly be the fan? The serpentine belt or even the pulleys?

dokalj

Hi everyone,

I have noticed when the ML270 CDI is running i.e. in park and I am outside the car, I can hear a squealing noise from the front of the car.

Could it possibly be the fan? The serpentine belt or even the pulleys?

dokalj

Neighbours cat under the wheels??

Could be either the belt tensioner pulley or the 'clutch' on the free-running alternator pulley causing the squeal. You need to remove the belt and spin the pulleys by hand to check the bearings, check that the alternator free-wheel pulley hasnt seized.

Could be either the belt tensioner pulley or the 'clutch' on the free-running alternator pulley causing the squeal. You need to remove the belt and spin the pulleys by hand to check the bearings, check that the alternator free-wheel pulley hasnt seized.

Is it an expensive job to repair?

Is it a major problem if I don’t get it sorted straight away? It seems intermittent, although it is coming more often at the moment.

Have you taken any opinion from any mechanics what it might be?

Nope, not yet. If its not essential just yet then I don't think I will get it changed immediately.

is the engine running?

might be the extra fuel heater still running for a moment after the engine. Does it sound a little like a jet turbine?

is the engine running?

might be the extra fuel heater still running for a moment after the engine. Does it sound a little like a jet turbine?

The noise comes while the engine is running.

Its necessary to remove the belt from underneath the car............ remove the front underpanel and pull down hard on the belt at its longest run, this will twist the spring loaded tensioner which has a small hole in its underside,apply more or less pressure until the hole aligns with a hole in the block (which you cannot see) try different positions of 'twist' until you can push in a drill bit to locate into the block to hold the tensioner in place when you release tension of the belt, the belt will now be loose enough to slip off............first draw a diagram of the routing of the belt over the pulleys.

You can then spin the pulleys by hand and detect any roughness in the bearings,,,,,,,,,,,and renew the belt if any signs of cracking across the grooves.

Do a search on this forum for 'alternator pulley'

Last edited:
The noise is not there today, although I have inspected the serpentine belt and I can see some small cracks.

Should I be worried?

I have inspected the serpentine belt and I can see some small cracks.

Should I be worried?

Not urgent but best to plan on renewing the belt at the next service, they last a long time, mine is only just showing small cracks since i renewed it 100k miles ago.

Not urgent but best to plan on renewing the belt at the next service, they last a long time, mine is only just showing small cracks since i renewed it 100k miles ago.

WoW how many miles can the ML's go for? Also I am thinking of changing the filters on my ML should I go genuine or get K & N filters? How do you check to see if the coolant is good?

The levels are fine, the colour is translucent although I have heard that you should renew it every 2/3 years. I don't have any receipts for this.

WoW how many miles can the ML's go for? Also I am thinking of changing the filters on my ML should I go genuine or get K & N filters? How do you check to see if the coolant is good?

The levels are fine, the colour is translucent although I have heard that you should renew it every 2/3 years. I don't have any receipts for this.

Mine's done 200k now and still runs as new.........i've only ever used mobil1 0w40 oil, stick to genuine MB filters is my advice..............if you're not sure of the age of the coolant then change it, also, the brake fluid needs to be changed every 2 years (dot 4)

Cheers,

I remember you were telling me to check certain items on my ML; I have had the gearbox serviced, new rear brake pads and tyres.

I remember you told me to check the serpentine belt, which I have done. To be honest it looks okay, just has a few minor cracks. Shall I upload a picture of the engine with the covers off? As you did say something about injectors I think?

What year is your ML? Do you have any spare parts?

Re the injectors, remove the top engine cover and listen to the engine at idle.........if you hear a 'chuffing' sound it's one or more of the injector seals leaking. You can tell which one is 'chuffing' by hovering the palm of your hand over each injector and you'll feel it puffing against your palm.

I buy the occasional spare part off ebay as a 'just in case' precaution..........currently, i am on the lookout for a spare turbo if anyone knows of one?

Re the injectors, remove the top engine cover and listen to the engine at idle.........if you hear a 'chuffing' sound it's one or more of the injector seals leaking. You can tell which one is 'chuffing' by hovering the palm of your hand over each injector and you'll feel it puffing against your palm.

I buy the occasional spare part off ebay as a 'just in case' precaution..........currently, i am on the lookout for a spare turbo if anyone knows of one?

Okay cheers, heres a picture of the engine anyway. Does it look okay from a visual inspection?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom