Ml w163 270 - egr - pipes - manifold - cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sudesh

I've started to do a big service on my 03 ML 270CDI, along with doing the usual oil change, air filter and fuel filter I'm also going to do the transmission oil change. I also decided to take a look at the EGR valve and pipes and a nosey inside the manifold.

This is the state of the EGR valve and the main pipe attached.

SAM_3535.jpg

SAM_3536.jpg

SAM_3537.jpg

SAM_3538.jpg

SAM_3539.jpg

It's just thick with oil/soot build up, I could pull some off in clumps lol Inside the manifold is pretty gunked up too.

So I was planning on removing that too and give it a clean out. Has anyone removed the manifold before and can offer some pointer before I start tomorrow?

I've also removed the turbo pipes etc to give them a clean down. What I also removed was the black cone shaped damper that plugs into to turbo. Can someone explain what its purpose is? I noticed there was some oil in there and was wondering if this is the way it should be or if it should be "oil free"

A bit of oil in the intake and turbo is normal, it's from the breather.

Good pcitures, I am looking forward to your write up!

Will you be taking further photos along the way?

Regards

dokalj

Think I'll do the thermostat and coolant while I'm at it.

Is the oil separator and item thats worth replacing also?

Hi Sudesh,

Thanks.

I did the thermostat and coolant change on mine recently and the temp now reads just above 85 degrees.

Where is the oil seperator? I think I read someone changed theres and it cured the response.

Will you be changing the gaskets at the same time?

What are you going to do to the damper that fits into the turbo? Have you already cleaned it in the photos?

Regards

dokalj

Hi,

The oil separator is on the top of he engine at front left side. If you follow the pipe up from the damper in the last photo it will take you straight too it.

I'll post some pics when I get to replacing it.

I havent cleaned the damper yet as to be honest I'm still unsure whats the best solution to this, or if it should be cleaned, never done one before. There is oil inside the damper, it seeps from the tiny holes you can see inside. I was hoping some of the experts would chime in and give some advise??

Hi Sudesh,

Thanks.

I did the thermostat and coolant change on mine recently and the temp now reads just above 85 degrees.

Where is the oil seperator? I think I read someone changed theres and it cured the response.

What are you going to do to the damper that fits into the turbo? Have you already cleaned it in the photos?

Regards

dokalj

Some pics as promised. I've just stopped for a quick bite to eat. Been at this since 9 this morning.

Manifold port where the EGR bolts up too:

SAM_3549.jpg

Engine Bay

SAM_3550.jpg

SAM_3551.jpg

SAM_3552.jpg

Turbo pipe off and damper, air filter pipes and filter out

SAM_3553.jpg

SAM_3554.jpg

Making room for the Manifold to be removed:

SAM_3555.jpg

SAM_3556.jpg

SAM_3557.jpg

There are too many bolts and bits to cover in this process, I can list what I did later if anyone is interested. It wasnt too bad to remove, just take time and gauge this correctly.

This is the long part, I use the steam cleaner, diesel and brake clutch cleaner to help clean out the manifold, but its a simple case of taking time and plenty of hot steam.

SAM_3566.jpg

SAM_3567.jpg

Hard to see in the pics above but plenty of build coming out:
SAM_3569.jpg

SAM_3573.jpg

SAM_3570.jpg

SAM_3571.jpg

SAM_3572.jpg

SAM_3575.jpg

SAM_3574.jpg

Great pictures so far!!!

Your common rail looks like new!

Mine looks grey!

How many miles has yours covered if you don't mind me asking?

Mine is a 2003 with 90K.

Regards

dokalj

I cleaned up the port holes while waiting for the manifold to dry

SAM_3582.jpg

SAM_3583.jpg

And the clean EGR valve

SAM_3590.jpg

SAM_3592.jpg

SAM_3591.jpg

SAM_3593.jpg

This is as clean as I could get the manifold, hard to see in the pics but its a big improvement.

SAM_3588.jpg

SAM_3589.jpg

SAM_3584.jpg

SAM_3585.jpg

SAM_3586.jpg

SAM_3587.jpg

Huge amount of crud came out after the steam clean, but its pretty much impossible to get it all. Still pleased with the results when you compare it to this:

SAM_3549.jpg

While everything was out I decided to replace the thermostat.

Its located here on 2003 ML 270CDI, three bolts hold it in place
and unplug the sensor.

SAM_3577.jpg

With the housing removed you can now see the stat.

SAM_3578.jpg

remove the little bar as the stat needs to be twisted to get it out.

SAM_3580.jpg

SAM_3581.jpg

Hi Sudesh,

dokalj

Hi,

This is where the oil separator is, just 4 bolts from memory and it comes out easy enough, just unplug the tube running into it, the seal is just along the inside edge, replace this also. I'll have pics tomorrow hopefully but this will give you an idea where it is:

SAM_3554-1.jpg

So I learned today the thermostat comes as a complete unit from mercedes, so here it is, seal and all.

SAM_3595.jpg

While installing everything again, I noticed the seal around the EGR pipe or boost pipe as Merceds call it was a little loose and out of shape, it just would not sit in tight, so I got a new one as I wanted everything to be correct, and surpris, surprise, they said it comes complete, so new pipe and seal:

SAM_3596.jpg

Old pipe where seal wont seat corectly

SAM_3597.jpg

SAM_3598.jpg

New pipe:

SAM_3599.jpg

SAM_3600.jpg

SAM_3601.jpg

This is the old oils separator, this more than likely could be cleaned down, but its not too expensive so I just ordered a new one and new seal. Hopefully will arrive later today or tomorrow.

SAM_3602.jpg

SAM_3603.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom