ML W163 build locations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dee James

Car
2003 ML 270
i`ve been reading up on the W163 ML (i`m looking for a ML270 budget dictates probably a 2000-2001)and i keep coming across posts saying the Austrian build ones are better screwed together than the US built versions BUT have seen some posts saying the facelift 2002 on models are Austrian built were other info i find on the net says either all or some European market models were made in Austria between 1999-2001. Does anyone have an definitive info on this?

thanks in advance

You're most likely to get an Austrian built W163 in this country. I had two W163s and both came from Austria. You can find out by decoding the VIN.

You're most likely to get an Austrian built W163 in this country. I had two W163s and both came from Austria. You can find out by decoding the VIN.

thanks, that`s what i thought - i would imagine a European car will be better screwed together although the advice seems to be get a facelift model which from what i can see are all US built . . .

Wikipedia says Austrian-built 1999-2002, US-built after that.

Wikipedia says Austrian-built 1999-2002, US-built after that.

that`s what prompted the question, normally i would n`t trust Wiki as a source of information but that does seem to be the case

'98 and '99 model years used ecu built in Mexico, and lots of issues.
2000 was better, 2002 was facelift even far better.

gIzzE said:
'98 and '99 model years used ecu built in Mexico, and lots of issues. 2000 was better, 2002 was facelift even far better.

I looked at a few both pre and post facelift and in the end went for a 2003 - you are right, a much better vehicle

Some say all ML55's were built in Austria

I meant the car in general - but also an equally good point - I believe you can break it down via VIN

Lenny63 said:
I meant the car in general - but also an equally good point - I believe you can break it down via VIN

I looked at a few in London and Essex following advice on here decided I wanted a post facelift and ended up traveling up north to get a 2003 ML270 for a bit more than my original budget but much much better than what I found down here. The nearly 2k spent on it this year on injectors front disks and pads and a service sealed it for me, I had to put some part worn tyres on for the moment as the existing were pretty bad but all in all I'm quite pleased, it's a lot of car for the money and once the mrs gets parking sensors the happier she, and my neighbours will be.

I looked at a few in London and Essex following advice on here decided I wanted a post facelift and ended up traveling up north to get a 2003 ML270 for a bit more than my original budget but much much better than what I found down here. The nearly 2k spent on it this year on injectors front disks and pads and a service sealed it for me, I had to put some part worn tyres on for the moment as the existing were pretty bad but all in all I'm quite pleased, it's a lot of car for the money and once the mrs gets parking sensors the happier she, and my neighbours will be.

Can I ask what you paid for it, PM me if you like.

Just that I am trying to decide whether to sell mine or keep it forever.

I have a choice to make, swap now for a 10 plate Range Rover, or keep it and swap the Z3 for something.

Mine is an 02 plate.
Done 115k miles.

In the last 12 months I have...

Put in new thermostat.
Changed the transmission fluid, along with new electronic plate and electrical connector. (12 litres of fluid as well so flushed properly).
Cleaned and deleted the EGR.
Injectors all resealed.
Put in a new manifold with the swirl flaps removed and fitted new oil breather and pipework.
Fitted Michelin Latitude Tour HP tyres all round. (235.65.17 profile for better handling and a 3mpg gain).
Fitted the latest Alpine W925r Double Din Dab Nav unit with ipod and android mirrorlink connections along with alpine amp and Morel speakers.

And have Bilstein front suspension arriving today, as I have just done my Z3 and made me think that at 115k miles the front of the ML is not feeling as good as it could, you can tell going into fast corners it is dipping a bit much.

Oh, and it has been serviced 3 times already in the last 18 months and 25k miles.
Oil, brake fluid, new coolant (twice as I forgot I had done it when we changed the 'stat!) new filters all round etc. etc.

ml.jpg

ml_interior.jpg

alpine_ml.jpg

All the things that can go wrong on an ML I have replaced already, oh and decatted it, and it has gone from around 26mpg to 30mpg average. Plus it has £1600 worth of Alpine system in there, which also makes it feel so much more modern, so it is making the decision much harder for me.

I have not had a single issue with build, and have spent a fortune getting it spot on, so think I may as well keep it, but the call of a nice 2010 FFRR keeps calling me.
But then think for the same money I could keep the ML and buy a nice 5.0litre Jag XK-R. :D

But would be interested to know what people are paying for these now.

Last edited:
Can I ask what you paid for it, PM me if you like.

Just that I am trying to decide whether to sell mine or keep it forever.

I have a choice to make, swap now for a 10 plate Range Rover, or keep it and swap the Z3 for something.

Mine is an 02 plate.
Done 115k miles.

In the last 12 months I have...

Put in new thermostat.
Changed the transmission fluid, along with new electronic plate and electrical connector. (12 litres of fluid as well so flushed properly).
Cleaned and deleted the EGR.
Injectors all resealed.
Put in a new manifold with the swirl flaps removed and fitted new oil breather and pipework.
Fitted Michelin Latitude Tour HP tyres all round. (235.65.17 profile for better handling and a 3mpg gain).
Fitted the latest Alpine W925r Double Din Dab Nav unit with ipod and android mirrorlink connections along with alpine amp and Morel speakers.

And have Bilstein front suspension arriving today, as I have just done my Z3 and made me think that at 115k miles the front of the ML is not feeling as good as it could, you can tell going into fast corners it is dipping a bit much.

Oh, and it has been serviced 3 times already in the last 18 months and 25k miles.
Oil, brake fluid, new coolant (twice as I forgot I had done it when we changed the 'stat!) new filters all round etc. etc.

ml.jpg

ml_interior.jpg

alpine_ml.jpg

All the things that can go wrong on an ML I have replaced already, oh and decatted it, and it has gone from around 26mpg to 30mpg average. Plus it has £1600 worth of Alpine system in there, which also makes it feel so much more modern, so it is making the decision much harder for me.

I have not had a single issue with build, and have spent a fortune getting it spot on, so think I may as well keep it, but the call of a nice 2010 FFRR keeps calling me.
But then think for the same money I could keep the ML and buy a nice 5.0litre Jag XK-R. :D

But would be interested to know what people are paying for these now.

yours looks like a really good one, i managed to get mine for £3350 after a bit of haggling - after i paid a deposit the previous owner had higher offers apparently which i could well believe i looked at a few localish to me which were nowhere near as good and displaying at least one of the common issues for around the 4k mark and the decent ones all seemed to be up north for some reason . . .

Interesting what you said about the tyres as well, i have another thread relating to that - i`m now thinking mine are way too big and a revisit to the tyre place is on the cards . . .

Cheers for that.

I was thinking if I could get £4k for it with the Alpine system left in there, I might swap.

They came with 255.60.17 on the facelift, and 275.55.17 on the pre facelift I think.
But the 235.65.17 tyres, especially in this Michelin design, has got rid of any tramlining and you can feel the steering sharpen up a little too, plus you can feel the rolling resistance is reduced too.

I have them at 34psi front and 36psi rear, so matching the W164/6 pressures, obviously loose a bit of comfort but much better economy all round. And the ML on 17s is never going to be anything other than comfy anyway.

Cheers for that.

I was thinking if I could get £4k for it with the Alpine system left in there, I might swap.

They came with 255.60.17 on the facelift, and 275.55.17 on the pre facelift I think.
But the 235.65.17 tyres, especially in this Michelin design, has got rid of any tramlining and you can feel the steering sharpen up a little too, plus you can feel the rolling resistance is reduced too.

I have them at 34psi front and 36psi rear, so matching the W164/6 pressures, obviously loose a bit of comfort but much better economy all round. And the ML on 17s is never going to be anything other than comfy anyway.

thanks very much for the tyre info, very useful - i`ve never had a 4x4 before so have nothing to compare it to so that`s really handy to know.

based on what i saw while i was looking yours has to be worth 4k all day long - if it was me i would keep it and get the Jag :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom