ML W164 charging problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hercules

Car
W203 2006 180K Sport Edition & ML164 sport
Hello there, I have lately investigating a problem Having engine starting from cold, engine starts OK but no as quick is used to do before , it takes about 2 to 3 sec to start compare to 1 sec as usual
At first I thought it was the battery and I replaced it last March,I went to the battery vendor yesterday to check the battery and it confirmed that the battery is OK it just back need recharging.

I checked the battery when I got home and the voltage was 12.8 volts engine of and 13.8 engine running at 2500 revs.
I did some research and if i understood right the voltage out of the alternator should be around 14.4 volts.

Is the regulator need to be replaced or is OK ??

Hello there, I have lately investigating a problem Having engine starting from cold, engine starts OK but no as quick is used to do before , it takes about 2 to 3 sec to start compare to 1 sec as usual
At first I thought it was the battery and I replaced it last March,I went to the battery vendor yesterday to check the battery and it confirmed that the battery is OK it just back need recharging.

I checked the battery when I got home and the voltage was 12.8 volts engine of and 13.8 engine running at 2500 revs.
I did some research and if i understood right the voltage out of the alternator should be around 14.4 volts.

Is the regulator need to be replaced or is OK ??
13.8 it's a bit low. Just try to test it again with a full load. That means turn all the things in the car on. (All lights, fan to max, screan heating, seats heating. everything what you can)

13.8 it's a bit low. Just try to test it again with a full load. That means turn all the things in the car on. (All lights, fan to max, screan heating, seats heating. everything what you can)
Thanks for your reply,
Just tested with all accessory on, heated seats, fog light, air con rear and front distemper , radio on full volume, interior lights voltage idling 12,4 volts and @2500 rev 12,4 volts

Thanks for your reply,
Just tested with all accessory on, heated seats, fog light, air con rear and front distemper , radio on full volume, interior lights voltage idling 12,4 volts and @2500 rev 12,4 volts
Thats not enough. Get it on a star. And test it. Probably alternator counting his last days.

Here is a test done 2 hours ago with Star.
If I understand alternator pass the test and it shows 14.3 volts on the graph, but I connected a different multimeter today after the test and max it shows on load is 13.9 volts ?

Attachments

• das_scco_20190209_1615_PKW164122WDC1641222A031808_alternator test.pdf
    15.4 KB · Views: 11
OK This morning I had to carry out further tests co convince my self if its the battery or alternator.
So I borrow a third multimeter and was told it is accurate, the alternator gives a reading of 14.3 volts at idling and the same on load at 2500 rpm.

Therefore I will be going to the battery supplier and fitter ATS Euromaster tomorrow morning I will be showing the Star test printout and will ask for a battery replacement.The battery was replaced last March

What was the make/model/rating of the battery that was fitted and what was its date of manufacture?
often stamped on top of negative terminal post 22/07 = 22nd week of 2007

What was the make/model/rating of the battery that was fitted and what was its date of manufacture?
often stamped on top of negative terminal post 22/07 = 22nd week of 2007
It was a 95A
Varta G14 – Varta Silver Dynamic AGM batteries
Replaced from the original battery around 2014

Sorry I meant the battery that you said was fitted March last year and currently in the car? When was it made?

You have an issue only on a cold starts. Did you ever checked glow plugs.???

Sorry
Can not see any stamped date on top of the battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom