ML270 2002 Autobox issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bloobloo

Car
2002 ML270 CDi
Firstly a bit of history regarding me purchasing this car. I bought it knowing it had issues. When I got it it had no drive whatsoever from the box, I could pit it in D or R and nothing would happen, it would just slip. Fluid level was correct etc. so, I managed to get a replacement box from a breaker for £100 and I put that in. Box was then stuck in limp mode (only reverse and one forward gear) Thinking it was the conductor plate a swapped the one in the box from the breaker for the conductor plate in my old box. No difference, then I learned about the having to get codes cleared. So a great chap on another forum offered to clear them with his carsoft, but it didnt work. So I swapped the plates back over again, same chap kindly loaned me the carsoft and I have now managed to clear the codes and the car changes gear again YAY! for a short while ( around 2 - 4 miles) and then it seems to start to slip again, slowly getting worse until no drive. At which point, turn engine off, wait a few seconds then restart - hey presto drive is back, for a short distance.
The EPC light comes on too most of the time, but I now think the EPC is a separate issue. My No.5 injector looks wet and I have noticed a diesel smell so I'm thinking that could be the cause of the EPC?

I'm slowly losing heart with it, what could now be causing the new issues with the new box? before I put the new box in, I had to change the bell housing as the garage that strippd the donor car dragged the box accross the floor and damaged the fitting for the banjo bolt for the cooler line. i took that opportunity to check the clutch plates and they seemed perfect and the fluid was nice and clear with no burnt smell. (The old box smelled badly of burnt fluid)

I absolutely love the truck, It does everything I want it to do on paper - with the added bonus of it looking quite nice too!

Someone please help :wallbash:

Last edited:
** Update..
Just took out the gearbox ecu and its spotlessly clean & dry. Drove the car without the ecu and as expected it stays in 2nd gear. I then reconnected the ecu and it changed gears as it should, but I then noticed it slipping between 3rd & 4th, then 30 secs later it dropped right down to 2nd and was slipping. I've noticed a whining noise that sounds like its coming from underneath and matches the engin speed when revved, the whine gets higher pitched the faster the engine spins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom