ML270 CDI+ Project Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

91dm

MB Enthusiast
Car
A few
Hello,

I couldn't decide whether or not to start a project thread for this, it's not something I've done before but I think this should be something a bit different for the forum.

Here's the project car, a 2004 ML270 CDI Special Edition that I purchased over four years ago. The jeep has retired from everyday use and I can't seem to part with it.

Here's a picture from the advert when I purchased the car, looking noticeably cleaner!

Apart from general maintenance I haven't modified much, over time I fitted a Alpine double din headunit, a tuning box and some bigger tyres! The jeep has been used for pretty much everything and I can't fault it, it has never failed to get me home!

Taken not long after purchasing:

Hard at work:

The plans:
I'm not completely sure where the project will go, I've a hundred different plans which will hopefully happen over a long time but who knows, diesels may be banned from the road before it's finished! I have a bigger turbo, injectors, pump and more ready to go but there's some maintenance items required first of all. The aim would be to have something close to the AMG version in terms of numbers!

So this is the starting point, taken a week ago.

Stay tuned!

I got chance this week to test fit the CP3 pump onto a spare OM611 engine to see what I was facing.

As you can see, it's considerably larger than the standard pump. A few clearance issues and it will require a new hole to be drilled into the head.

I've a few bits to track down and order to make pipe work etc fit, this was the first step of a long process I feel!

Another part of the jig saw came from Germany to blank off the feed pump.

I've been trying to research if the ML55 final drives/ratios are the same as a ML270 if anyone knows?

Keep us updated Ihave the ML500 but looking forward to seeing what you do to it. Love these cars

I've had to put this on hold for a while until I finish a new garage build but should make the project easier in the long run! I've all the bits gathered now; AMG spec turbo and injectors and V8 injector pump!

Washed up for the winter

With all this spare time now at home, I managed to make great progress in the new garage last week. Getting walls and floors painted, some shelves up and tools out. Still lots more to do but a great start!

Decided to pull the ML to clean the interior as I'd seen some mold starting. I'm no detailer but it does clean up very well for its age and miles.

It didn't take too long so managed to fix the rear wiper, not sure if it was the relay or an exposed wire but it's back working again, so one thing off the long list. Engine plans will mostly likely happen later in the year now but lots to do otherwise.

Thanks!

Having just bought a brabus d4 I'm looking forward to seeing how your getting on with your project.

Well after getting distracted with another project I finally started to make some progress on the ML. I'm going to hold off on the mechanical stuff until Christmas so I can keep working on it rather than evenings and weekends. For now I thought I would start on the clean up underneath as it hasn't been touched for a couple of years. I hope that it's solid and it's just the surface but time will tell. I was looking out for a very clean late black special edition ML but they seem to be hard to find so I will carry on with this!

Got distracted on this during lockdown, at least it's ready for the summer!

Bumper off to start the inspection!

Rust!

Looking better already, some dodgy parking sensors that I need to replace.

Good wash to prep for wire brushing. Degreaser worked well, a hot washer would have been a big help.

Probably take it in sections starting with the rear chassis section and boot floor! Currently applied rust killer to the rear panel sections, will paint black and then possibly waxoyl the lot.

I finally finished another project and made space in the corner to move the ML into so that it's not blocking anything.

The inlet manifold has been leaking for along time, I knew it would be a pain to do so was putting it off, it's the first job on the list. I bought the kit off eBay to blank the swirls, wish I had bought a new inlet but I might in the future. It's near impossible to get all the black carbon off, especially on the inside. Some new manifold seals to go on as well.

Everything that touched the inlet or block was destroyed with black sludge, be prepared with lots of gloves if you attack this. I can't believe how much has to be removed to get access, it's a full strip down.

No wonder arches rust, lots of muck hidden behind shield and mud flaps. Wire on the starter means wheel off.

I put the whole manifold into a bath of degreaser and left it to soak. Not many pictures as I was trying to keep things clean which turned out to be impossible.

Some swirl flaps are not the original size, eaten by the engine at some stage.

Almost finished, just the rail and a few bits to put back on. Not a job I'd like to do often, made worse by the fact I left it so long. Going to tap the EGR for a boost gauge while all is off.

Thanks for reading!

All back together, just a new diesel filter to fit and intercooler pipe. I've added a fitting for the boost gauge, just need to find a spot on the bulkhead to get the hose and egt wires through. The fuse boxe looks like the best bet.

Quick test drive and then turbo off next ready for the hybrid.

Finally all back together and checked over for the first start, all went ok with no leaks! It's definitely happier ticking over now and sounds smoother, less boost/air noises going on.

I've moved onto the other side and have stripped most of the air box etc down and left the bolts soaking. Found a broken inlet pipe and exhaust clamp, so a few bits to go shopping for.

I need to find an upgrade for the intercooler and simplify the hoses. I'm trying to work out what sensors I can remove without bringing on the engine light which is hard when you can't start the jeep! It looks like i'll have to move the cooler forward to fit in a bigger intercooler.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After these phase I'm going to get it outside and give the engine bay/front a good degrease and wash.

The job for today was to get the turbo off and tap the manifold for a EGT gauge.

Access is good with the wheel off, lots of room to access the turbo/manifold etc.

One manifold stud broke on me but I'm blaming the previous owner, that port was blacker than the rest so I suspect it was leaking? All sorted now, it came out relatively easily and I stole another stud from the 220.

All off and taken apart, small bit of damage to the exhaust wheel however very little play/wear for 175k, I assume it's the original.

Comparison of the original GT22v - GT23v and GT23v hybrid. The compressor inducer is approximately 20% bigger than standard so hoping for good gains. The difference in size doesn't really show on the picture, it's noticeably bigger than the original.

The exhaust housing on a GT23v off a 210 320cdi is different to later CDi models, something I didn't realise.

Drilled and tapped for the EGT gauge, ready for heat!

The manifold didn't look great so I gave it a quick wire brush on the drill and coat of black VHT paint. Looks a bit more presentable and original still.

I think it's all ready to be put back together and figure out how I can simply the intercooler pipes.

Thanks for reading!

I managed to get all the intake pipes washed up to remove any oil residue, fairly pointless as I hope to change most of them but it didn't take long. Plan to get the manifold back on tomorrow all going well.

I think I've sourced a new intercooler however there's no holes for sensors, it's just a universal cooler. Trying to find fittings to weld on but I'm not having much luck! It might be possible to relocate the intake and MAP.

Thanks for looking!

May I suggest one of these welded into the pipework perhaps? -https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Boost_Gauge_Adaptor_for_Audi_VW_SEAT_and_Skoda--product--1062.html

If that one won't fit Forge do quite a few boost taps. Cheap enough.

Thanks John, I'll take a closer look at Forge.

Today's task was to get the turbo on:

Cleaned the breather out while I was at it.

Bolting the turbo/manifold/drain together seems to be the easiest method. EGT adapter fitted as well, worked out really well in the end.

Turbo mounted, I had everything cleaned and ready so this all came together quite quickly

PROBLEM! For some reason the oil feed isn't lining up. I tried another feed pipe and it was slightly worse fitting, so that's the end of progress for now!

Thanks!

I ended up 'adjusting' the pipe to make it that little bit shorter. I did try another feed pipe off a 611 which was even worse fitting.

Quick comparison against a standard 2359v.

Hybrid 2365v

All back together and ready to fit.

Turbo is finally on! I changed the oil and filter while I was at it. All sounds good so far and no leaks but I hadn't any pipes on so couldn't test it any further.

The bumper and bar comes off together, lots of stone chips on this which I'll hopefully sort before putting back on.

The front is actually really easy to strip down to this, 10x bolts and you've lots of access.

The original intercooler looks big but is apparently useless so I've an upgrade to go on!

Intercooler off and seems to be lots of room, the oil cooler will hopefully move forward and clear the deeper intercooler.

Progress is slow, limited to a few hours at the weekend at best!

Thanks for reading.

Recently sold my ML270 and replaced it with an E320, I did quite a bit of work on mine myself so really enjoying reading through yours!

My manifold was pretty good but was always gonna get rid of the flaps if it ever failed!

Keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom