ML270 Engine rough - Urgent please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David-J

Car
2003 E320 CDi **********
Hi All. Dad's been taken gravely ill and I'm running Mum to & from the Hospital in Spain in their 2003 ML270, (95K miles) but it's running rough & I need to do what I can quickly as it's their only car & can't be without it at a garage right now for obvious reasons.
Starts OK cold, takes longer when warm. Idle is not smooth - not quite stalling. Poor accelleration and when driving there's a vibration that you can feel through the car, more akin to a lumpy tyre !! if you know what I mean. (No it's not a lumpy tyre .. LOL)
I've taken the cover off, had a listen to the injectors with a screwdriver to my ear, some are "Ticking" louder than others, pulled the connectors to each & it only runs when all 5 are connected so I suspect it's not one of those? Recent service about 3K miles ago (Non MB)
Listening to it (I can only compare the sound to my 6 cyl 320), there is a "nock" to the engine, but I can't pick it up listening with a screwdriver!
Off to the Hospital right now, so will pick up any replies (gratefully received) when we return tonight and I'll try anything you suggest in the morning.
Fingers crossed one (or more) of you lovely chaps can point me in the right direction.
Cheers guys.....

It could be many things, the only immediate suggestion i can offer is to check for a partially blocked fuel filter, my friend previously filled his tank with diesel in spain and shortly after ended up stranded, with a blocked fuel filter.....

Hope all turns out well for your dad.

Thanks Panason1c, I'm going to contact a local MB dealer tomorrow (original supplier) and bite the bullet on a dignostic - see what turns up !!!
Filter was defo on my list of possibles, but after driving it tonight I'm fearing a duff injector. Thanks for the kind wishes for my Father...
Cheers

A knock sounds like a dribbling injector. Try a strong dose of injector cleaner.

Hmm, could be worth a try. I'll pop out and get a bottle in the morning. It's definately a "Knocking" noise, almost like a misfire on a petrol engine, you can feel the vibration through the car and the accelleration power is down. Idle is uneven....

Take the engine covers off an see of you have an injector leak first

Went to MB dealer in Spain - Diagnostics confirmed that cylinder 1 injector had failed (+5) should be a (-) figure.
1 hr Diagnostic + brand new injector + labour + tax = 460 Euros (yes, you read it right) they charge just 35 Euros per hour !!! If only UK dealers were as cheap !!!!!

Shame was that my dad passed away whilst I was at the dealer - he loved that car.

David. I'm very sorry to hear your news. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Sorry to hear your sad news. All the best to you and your family.

Sorry to hear of your loss, condolences to you and your family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom