ML270 For And Against

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joe_bloggs

Hello guys

1st post for me. I am looking to start a business after the summer holidays and was looking around at all the van deals but today a bolt from the blue! A guy I do work for has a '02 plate ML270 for sale, am unsure of the spec or exact model but mileage wise it has 100k on the clock. The guy would take £5k for it as he wants the car away. The brake discs are rusty from the car sitting is one thing I noticed.

Biggest question is what fuel return can I expect. What things should I look out for with regards common faults. I see from searching the tailgate rusts around the catch.

Cheers John

ps please dont laugh but my weekend car is a 1993 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo but I think its soon going to the car park in the sky!

Sounds like it's the facelift model. Having just bought a ML350, I've followed the prices in Autotrader for some time and if the condition is good, it's sounds like a really good deal moneywise. :thumb:

Other than that, I'll let the more experienced owners comment...

I wonder whys its stood for so long?

Google mercedes cdi injector problems:eek:

Realistically mpg has to be between 20/30mpg, heavy car 4 wheel drive and poss auto.

Lynall

Those discs will cost you about a grand to replace at an indy.

Check the wheel arches as well for rust. If it has been main dealer serviced then the rust will be covered by the Merc guarantee and you can have the work done for free.

Also check the rear springs, it is common for them to snap.

MPG - 25mpg around town and 35-40mpg on a run if you keep below 2500 revs and use BP Ultimate or Shell V Power.

Seem to be lots of these around at the moment, that price is keen though.

Those discs will cost you about a grand to replace at an indy.

Just had my rear disc and pads replaced on the 163.

Pads 64.43 + vat

Discs 66.50 + vat

Cheaper than they used to be.

Last edited:
Just had my rear disc and pads replaced on the 163.

Pads 64.43 + vat

Discs 66.50 + vat

Cheaper than they used to be.
x4 thats still £615 for just the parts, front discs will be more expensive as well, add a few hours labour as well don't forget.

x4 thats still £615 for just the parts, front discs will be more expensive as well, add a few hours labour as well don't forget.

only x2 I think.......prices are usually for pairs of discs and 4 pads......which does seem very good value

Last edited:
I don't know what sort of business you are starting, but an ML is smaller inside than most vans, and being higher up will be more difficult to load/unload.

OK. Rear disc and pads replacement done two weeks ago.

Pads 64.43
Discs 133.00
Labour 75.00
sub total 272.43
+vat Total 313.30

Like I said, not as expensive as they used to be.

Hello

I have an ML and love it but as mentioned a van would be better size wise, ply line it inside. Also would tax not me much cheaper and parts for say a tranny?

Rusty discs doesn't mean they need changed. All discs will have surface rust if left even for a couple of days. The first use of the brakes will probably remove the rust.

Welcome to the forum. Amazing no one else ever used Joe Bloggs before now!

OK. Rear disc and pads replacement done two weeks ago.

Pads 64.43
Discs 133.00
Labour 75.00
sub total 272.43
+vat Total 313.30

Like I said, not as expensive as they used to be.

Hmmm,seems a bit strange:confused:
I've just had a B Service and been advised to change the rear pads.
My car is a ML270 CDI 04 reg.
This is my quote...
Rear pads 64.43
Sensor 7.74
Cleaner 6.54
Labour 119.04
Total 197.75 + VAT
MB Loughton,Essex.

This is my quote...
Rear pads 64.43
Sensor 7.74
Cleaner 6.54
Labour 119.04
Total 197.75 + VAT
MB Loughton,Essex.

Nothing strange about it. If you go to a Main Dealer you pay Main Dealer labour rates. After all, someone has to pay for the glass palaces.

This is my quote...
Rear pads 64.43
Sensor 7.74
Cleaner 6.54
Labour 119.04
Total 197.75 + VAT
MB Loughton,Essex.

Remember that there's almost as much work in replacing the pads as there is replacing the discs and pads.

You may be able to haggle the labour down a touch.

£1000 for discs and pads all round was the norm for local indies and main dealers four years ago when we had ours done for the first time.

Had them done all round again last summer but ServicePlus met the cost.

Hi Guys.

Thanks for all the replies.

With regards my business I am a Commercial Vehicle/HGV Mechanic and plan to be mobile. My role will be more diagnostics on auto boxes/engine managements etc so I wont need my full toolkit, mainly my laptop with some cables/interfaces and a collection of manuals and I would think the boot in the ML would be fine for my needs.

With regards the car there is a story to that too. It was origionally a director in the company I do work for, who is no longer employed by this company, but he sold the car before he left and the current owner wasnt aware of all the comings and goings of this guy before he left. So its been "repossesed" for want of a better word as its legally still a company car. Its been sitting around for about 1 month. As for working on the car i'd do that myself so generally it would only cost me parts.

The ML is silver but as for history I am unsure and its automatic so I was thinking around 30 mpg (I get 32 with my transit atm through work).

As for reliability locally we deal with a guy who has a fuel injection business and he says they can be bad for injector clamps breaking but generally he hasnt done much else to them.

About my plans to run this vehicle at the start I think I am maybee being unrealistic and should stick to a transit or similar.

As for the id joe bloggs my mate helped me with hassle I had getting a pc game to run online and thats the id he made up, and I still use so thats where that came from.

Thanks again guys..

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom