ML270 KEYS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joderest

Car
2003 ML270 Silver
OK, another question.
Vehicle only came with one key, easy i thought, go the Mercedes dealer, order another one, expecting to pay 200-300 pounds. Got a call back, Mercedes no longer have keys for this model of car. Shock Horror !!!!
I was advised i can have a valet key for £35, which will open and run the car, but i would have to drive with the alarm sounding and lights flashing.
Can anyone tell me with certainty that this is correct ?
I would not mind a key with no remote, as want it just for a get out of trouble key

Anyone ?

Thanks for that, i have already been in contact with them, key would be £200, but would cost me that again in fuel to get there and back. I am looking at just getting a valet key from Mercedes, £35, will unlock drivers door, start car and drive, this is what i am told.

Try this;

1. Open the driver’s window.
  2. Lock the car with the remote.
  3. Wait one minute for alarm to set properly.
  4. Reach in through the open driver’s window and open the door and maybe pop the bonnet too.
  5. The alarm, if it’s in working order, should sound for 30 seconds and the hazards lights should flash for 3 minutes.
  6. Without pressing any buttons on the remote, put the key into ignition and see if the car starts and the alarm is silenced.

Dec

Thanks, getting lots of conflicting information.
The car only has one key, and i just wanted a spare in case we lost the one key or it malfunctions. Hence a key that does not activate the unlocking remotely is not a problem.
1) been told thus...... A valet key will unlock the door, start the car, you can drive the car, but alarm will be sounding all the time.
2) been told thus...... A valet key is just a clone of the remote key's micro chip with out the facility to unlock doors remotely, it will function as a normal key and deactivate the alarm when put in the ignition, and vehicle can be driven as normal.

Comments anyone ?

Your number 2 is correct; that’s why I asked you to do steps 1 to 6 so as to confirm this.

Dec

Thanks Dec, i misunderstood your reply, of course, that is the correct thing to do. I really do not like "harry potter" electric things

This valet key you mentioned, for £35, must have a transponder chip inside it, if not then the car won’t start, £35 for a key with a chip in it, from Mercedes, does sound quite cheap, were you told it would have a chip inside it?

Dec

.most if not all auto locksmiths will be able replicate your orignal key

I had not thought of that, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom