ML270 opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gsb

Hi
Just wanted peoples opinions on the ML270, im looking at getting a 52 reg upwards, they seem to be really reasonably priced from around 7.5k. I've heard/read mixed reviews, just wanted to know people views if you have one or had one, would you recommend one? what should i look out for(any specific faults)??

you advice would be much appreciated.
thanks

Hello and Welcome.

A 52 plate onwards will be the facelifted model with fogs in bumpers, indicators in mirrors.

The earlier ones had issues with build quality but they did sort a lot of this with the faclifted ones. Saying that my father inlaw has a pre facelifted ML270cdi and its great. He gets over 30mpg.

I have a facelifted ML350 Petrol, I've had this 18 months and no issues at all, great to drive. Tow's our van very well.

Main things to check are any rust under arches / under boot release handle. Brakes take a hammer so check discs / pads. Then normal stuff like all electrics work, tyres etc sevice and any warranty?

I went for an inspiration model which has some nice goodies over and above a normal model. Also I was recommended to get the 7 seat option (even if you dont need it) it helps resale?? you get the seats and the opening rear windows.

Great car and some great prices around so don't rush into anything.

Mine :)

DSCF9436-1.jpg

As A210AMG really , also don't discount the petrol especially if your mileage is low, as you are paying a premium for the diesel.

We have just bought an ML500, great engine, lovely sound, yes its thirsty, but not so bad on a run 25mpg+.

Make sure everything works!! enjoy

I think all the later 270 diesels were built/assembled in Gratz Austria and not by good ol boys in Alabama. I would add rear shock/spring units and any glow plug problems to A210AMG's list. Some early manual box cars rumoured to have a transmission weakness.

Hi,

Don't think so....Most facelifted models were built in USA.

My 02 ML270CDi was certainly built in Alabama but I had no real problems with it over 3 1/2 years and 40,000 miles.

Cheers,

I stand corrected.:eek: My revised info says the ML 270CDi was built by Magna Steyr in Graz, Austria, for the European market, between the years 1999 to 2002 so I guess you must have one of the first US built ones. I assume they were all then built in Alabama from 2002 till the end of production? The quality of the facelift models was much improved as you have said and a well kept one would be a lot of car for the money in todays climate .:bannana:

Last edited:
Yes the ML35 was a special prototype that Mercede AMG used.

It has parts from the ML55 that they used for testing before production :)

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom